Window falls off-track

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The passenger window on my '97 GTS keeps falling off-track when fully lowered. I can manually raise the window, and after I get it started manually the motor raises/lowers it without a problem. I suspect there is a problem with the connection at the base of the window and the track rails, but I wanted to see if anyone else had different ideas before I disassemble the door panels.

Thanks-
Shawn

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting, a New England club member named Sean just had this same issue. Appearently it is not all that uncommon. At the bottom of your window, there is a plastic sleeve that the glass is held within. This sleeve is rivited to the window track. If any water gets inside the door, appearently these rivets rust away pretty easily. His solution was to simply open up the door panel and retrieve the plastic sleeve which had fallen into the bottom of the door. Then, glue the sleeve back onto the track, as the rivets were completly corroded. It was working well after about a week of use at our autocross this past weekend. Hope that helps.

Nick

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.

I just took the door panel off, and my window setup is quite different. Basically, there is nothing along the bottom of the glass. There is a small plastic attachment on the side of the window towards the back of the car that attaches to a slide along the track. This attachment piece is broken, which causes the window to slip off at the bottom of its travel. My car is a Gen II, so maybe the Gen I/IIIs are different? Anyway, it looks like I need a whole new slide piece that attaches the window to the track...

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check old threads about this. I recall a detailed posting about fixing this problem. The black plastic piece on the Window regulator is notorious for breaking and you will need to buy a new regulator if that is what broke. I know Paul Scharf was selling the black plastic pieces, but I never tried to replace it. It seems difficult.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had the same problem and i had to replce the whole regulator, i would bought just the plastic piece had i know it was an option!

darn things are expensive!!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is a Gen II, so maybe the Gen I/IIIs are different?
Well, as Gen I's don't have roll-up windows, I can guarantee you that they are different that your Gen II. :cool: