window stuck 1/2 way down

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
drivers side window is stuck mid way.

had an issue about 3 weeks ago where it acted up and after cleaning lubing it worked for a short time now has completely failed.

window goes down but not up. troubleshooting reveals power getting to motor when switch is activated up or down.

don't see anything binding.

is there a way to manually raise it up?

any idea how motor actually moves window.?

I was expecting a motor with gear on it like other vehicles I have changed window motors on.
this looks to be a cable driven deal.
service manual gives no info on how it works only how to replace.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it grinding as it goes down? When pushing the button up, can you help it by pulling the window to the up position?

aggie2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how far you've taken the door apart yet, but here's a scenario I dealt with:

The trailing edge of the window is held by two metal "clamps" (upper and lower) that are epoxied to the glass. Each clamp has a roller that guides the window up and down along a vertical channel.

In my situation, the upper clamp came loose and "slid" all the way to the bottom clamp. (This caused the window to elevate too high - no window stop engaging - and also caused a rattle when down) But, I can see how if one of these clamps came loose and got wedged at a slight angle, it would bind the entire sliding mechanism of the window.

Sorry, long winded, but no other way to explain it...

OP
OP
M

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing seems to be loose or binding. I cannot pull the window up even while pushing switch.
drives down with no issues or noises.

I have had the door panel off numerous times now and even unbolted the motor assembly a couple times hoping I could do something with the motor itself.

12 volts getting to motor both in up and down switch positions.
Thanks

aggie2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange. Maybe try this to narrow down the culprit:

Use the procedure for removing the glass listed in the shop manual, just don't actually remove the glass: with the interior door panel removed, undo the clip on the metal clamp at the bottom/center of the glass that attaches that clamp to the motor-drive mechanism. This should allow you to slide the window up and down freely by hand (though it will still be sliding in the guide channel at the rear). This will, in effect, allow you to determine if the problem is some kind of bind in the window's path (in the rear guide channel or something up front) or some problem with the motorized mechanism that raises/lowers the window.

Feel your pain on the door problems. Wait til you have to mend a wire that breaks in the door jam - major PITA! (and it WILL happen eventually)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine