window weather stripping

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone know where i can buy window weather stripping for a 98 gts? i need the piece on the passenger door thats on the outside between the back of the window and the black like window pillar that the exterior handle is on. Also i need it like asap as in yesterday

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's called the "rear run channel" and it's part of a larger piece that fits inside the door.

Some of the Viper salvage places have it from parts cars; from what I've seen, it runs close to $300.
I need one too but haven't bit the bullet.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with that! Most in salvage are crappy also. New from Dodge is like 400 bucks with the black piece. (only way it comes.)

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That weatherstripping needs TLC in all year GTS models. I replaced mine a few years ago from a salvaged vehicle. It was in perfect condition. Make sure there are no scuff marks from a sagging door. Also rolling your window down 1/2 inch increases the life span of that crappily designed part.

-Avi
1997 Viper GTS

P.S. I noticed that the new Gen Vs have similar weatherstripping. They still haven't got the simple things right. :dunno:

MODERATOR EDIT: Link to non-site sponsor removed.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually scratch that i think i found the part on vpa. is this it? appears to be but i just wanna make sure this is the outer and not the inner . thanks

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually scratch that i think i found the part on vpa. is this it? appears to be but i just wanna make sure this is the outer and not the inner . thanks

Nothing was linked/pictured in your post. From what you are describing in your first post, I think that you are looking for this part: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=ME74&search%5Bmode%5D=any

T
he weatherstripping is all one piece, inner and outer and is bonded to the black stanchion panel. (If you are talking about the vertical weatherstripping.) FYI, if you PM me an email address I can send you a pdf file of the parts manual for your car.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing was linked/pictured in your post. From what you are describing in your first post, I think that you are looking for this part: https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php?search%5Bterms%5D=ME74&search%5Bmode%5D=any

T
he weatherstripping is all one piece, inner and outer and is bonded to the black stanchion panel. (If you are talking about the vertical weatherstripping.) FYI, if you PM me an email address I can send you a pdf file of the parts manual for your car.
sorry about the broken link.. thats actually the part i just ordered. hows this puppy go on?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry about the broken link.. thats actually the part i just ordered. hows this puppy go on?

I was lucky enough to be able to glue my loose weatherstripping back in place without disassembly. Someone else will have to chime in with some help. Hopefully once you have the part in hand, it will become more obvious what screws need to be removed to replace the old one.

Good Luck.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced mine and it took all of 30 minutes. Two things to remember, the screw that's right above the Emergency Release Handle can fall down into the door, so use a magnetic screwdriver or put a piece of tape or a rag under it to catch it if it falls. The other thing is the nut that holds the push button to open the door is easier to get to if you use a 1/2" deep well socket. I think it's like a 15/16 or something that size, and there is an opening cut to access it. I tried using a 3/8" drive, but couldn't get a grip on the bolt. I have a shop manual, and it's as handy as a third arm. Every time I need to do something that's not routine maintenance, I have the manual open following the directions and it's saved me a lot of time due to only having to do things once and there are never any nuts or bolts left over.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of good info from you guys thanks...I didn't even catch the write up in the new mag.I gotta check this out...i'm glad to hear its a fairly simple thing to change and not a monumental task

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn i didn't get the new mag yet, the latest issue i got is the jan/feb one

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced mine and it took all of 30 minutes. Two things to remember, the screw that's right above the Emergency Release Handle can fall down into the door, so use a magnetic screwdriver or put a piece of tape or a rag under it to catch it if it falls. The other thing is the nut that holds the push button to open the door is easier to get to if you use a 1/2" deep well socket. I think it's like a 15/16 or something that size, and there is an opening cut to access it. I tried using a 3/8" drive, but couldn't get a grip on the bolt. I have a shop manual, and it's as handy as a third arm. Every time I need to do something that's not routine maintenance, I have the manual open following the directions and it's saved me a lot of time due to only having to do things once and there are never any nuts or bolts left over.
if can get this done in an hour or less that would be great. Some people make it sound like a horror to do

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 3 screws holding in inner door stanchion in place, the nut holding the door opener, a plastic clip holding the electrical connection to the door opener (I used needle nose pliers to remove it), a Phillips head screw at the top of the window track and a cable that slides into the emergency release handle. I used the shop manual, but could have easily figured it out if I didn’t have it. The inner door stanchion comes down and forward when being removed and I thought getting it off was the hardest part of the job. I pulled the door panel away from the door at the rear for extra room because it was in the way. Take your time because in time the plastic gets hard and brittle, and the last thing you want to do is break something because you got in a hurry.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed mine on both sides and it only took a little over an hour. As 96GTS said, just take your time and you'll find it's way easier than you thought. Service manual is golden! Art

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just looked through the current Viper magazine we recieved and your in luck !!...They have a full section in there describing your exact problem and how to replace it...

virginiavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine is curling a little on the passenger side. I have to fix that. I'll be looking at this in the near future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21