Windows not lowering when door opens??

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I tried a search for this but its hard to narrow it down enough to find a previous thread. The windows on my 2004 stopped lowering when the doors are opened. I can't always remember to lower them a bit before I get out. Can someone give me a heads up on what the problem may be? I have checked fuses but all seem fine. Thanks for any advice.

Sorry-wrong forum but if you happen to know```

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the windows go down when you press the button, but just not when your door opens.

Maybe try this... There is a reset for Gen III. Don't know if it works on a Gen II. It's been a while since I did it. Hopefully I remembered it right.

Try turning on the car. Press switch for windows up. Then press for windows down and hold the switch for a couple of seconds after the windows are down. If its not that order then try reversing the up/down and hold.

Obviously if your windows are not working with the switch you have a different problem. Don't try the above if you hear any noise, the windows are slow or something just isn't right with the window operation.

Another time my passenger window failed, and someone rolled down the window even with it making crunching sounds. The window would not go back up... It was winter and about 40 degrees here. I got to drive that way for 1.5 hours to DC Performance to get it fixed :omg: Ah the memories..

EDIT: Just saw you have a Gen III, I assumed Gen II because of the forum...

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now Ive never known of this? So to get this right are you saying that when you press the outside door switch on a Gen 2, the windows go down slightly as you open the door? The windows on my car dont do that! :dunno:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has a Gen III, he just posted in the wrong forum... I got confused at first too :omg:

I'm not a Mod or I'd move it for him LOL

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Body Control Module may be shot. If it was only one side, it would probably be just the window regulator in the door but since its both sides, its probably the BCM. However, it might just need adjustment and training. This is a common problem on Gen IIIs. Chrysler/Dodge has not really stepped up to the plate on this one other than to replace the window regulators with the same inadequate ones or replace the BCM per the warranty. They are certainly very aware of the issue since it has been discussed numerous times both in ordinary threads in the SRT section and in SRT Engineer chats and this board is monitored. The amusing thing is that the window regulators in the Challenger are actually better. Someone, for whatever reason, decided to go on the cheap with respect to these parts on the Gen III despite the fact that opening and closing a door is something that one would think would get priority on using the best engineered and available parts.

If it has not already happened, you will get small paint chips when you forget to lower the window a bit and the window stays up and you go to close the door. It is a real pain because you cannot properly secure the car if the windows are left open a crack to close the door. If it is any comfort I heard that some Ferraris have the same issue.

Last edited:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, had me worried I missed something on my windows :2tu:

Yes, you have been doing it wrong for years, no one here wanted to tell you :lmao:

However, it might just need adjustment and training. This is a common problem on Gen IIIs.

Bob, did I tell him right on the training part... Is it hold the switch down or up?
I think its down, but up would make more sense...

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kala. I don't remember either but because both sides are doing it I suspect the BMC might need to be replaced. He should take it to the dealer to have it checked assuming he has a Viper savvy dealer near him.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that this may be the procedure. Perhaps Chuck T. Or Mark J. can jump in to verify.

1.Turn ignition to on position. 2. With the door closed, press window switch to fully open door window. 3. Press window switch to fully close door window; release and then immediately hold switch in the up position for two (2) seconds; release switch. 4. Move to front passenger seat and do the same thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses to my problem. The reset worked and windows are functioning. I didn't see anything in the manual about that. I appreciate your vast Viper knowledge!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are very welcome. I am glad it solved your problem.

Thanks for the responses to my problem. The reset worked and windows are functioning. I didn't see anything in the manual about that. I appreciate your vast Viper knowledge!

V

Venomiss

Since this is for a 2004 hopefully the mods can move this to the SRT-10 section.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was seriously that easy...cause a lot of people have spent a lot of money replaceing regulators

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's one for ya

Anyone experience the window closing too much or too high?

I noticed my drivers side closing to what seems too tight as once it fully closes
there is a noticeable popping noise coming from the bottom of the window inside the door.
Sounds like it is binding or is too tight. Problem started after I bought the car.

TIA

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III right?

Do the same window training listed above... That might take care of the problem
Come back and let us know. :eater:

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes Gen 3

I tried this procedure with no luck

I think that this may be the procedure. Perhaps Chuck T. Or Mark J. can jump in to verify.

1.Turn ignition to on position. 2. With the door closed, press window switch to fully open door window. 3. Press window switch to fully close door window; release and then immediately hold switch in the up position for two (2) seconds; release switch. 4. Move to front passenger seat and do the same thing.

ghengishahn

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have had this issue to. One thing that is confusing is why there is a step 4. Can't you just sit in the driver's seat and do both sides of vehicle at the same time?