Windshield Damage.....

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, whie driving around 75 MPH, an object struck my windshield. The sound was so loud, I reflexly covered my face waiting for the pieces of glass to fall. Surprize.........nothing broke.

However, there's a defect in the glass. A small roughened divot (depression) where it was struck.

Short of installing a new windshield, which I definitely don't want to do, is there anything that can be done to the damaged area?????

Thanks....

Don

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These windshield are pretty strong. I have had rock hits that I was sure would have cracked it, but either nothing or the same as Dons little divot.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like chad said, it can be repaired if not too big. Usually the size of a quarter and less are easliy repaired. Just get it looked at before it starts to spider crack. Once that happens, then your screwed.
A glass guy will come out,drill and fill, you cant really tell it was damaged usually.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I've had one of those in my winshield for 20K miles now. Since it first happened I've been waiting for it to spead like a spiderweb, but unbelievably it hasn't changed.

I'd say leave it in place unless you see it go bad.

Yesterday, whie driving around 75 MPH, an object struck my windshield. The sound was so loud, I reflexly covered my face waiting for the pieces of glass to fall. Surprize.........nothing broke.

However, there's a defect in the glass. A small roughened divot (depression) where it was struck.

Short of installing a new windshield, which I definitely don't want to do, is there anything that can be done to the damaged area?????

Thanks....

Don

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like chad said, it can be repaired if not too big. Usually the size of a quarter and less are easliy repaired. Just get it looked at before it starts to spider crack. Once that happens, then your screwed.
A glass guy will come out,drill and fill, you cant really tell it was damaged usually.

Good suggestion to have the divet drilled and filled if it's of any size. No need to take a chance on a spider crack developing when it is easy and cheap to prevent.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had those glass repairs done on my truck, the drilling and filling, cost aro $100, I think, and you can still see a small defect once the job is finished. I was not too happy with it-

Why the objection to replace the windshield? Is it that difficult on the Viper or is it pricey?

When a large rock busted my window on my new 300SRT I decided to give the Diamond Fusion product a try. I've added about 4K miles since and not even the slightest ding on the windshield since... if you do replace your windshield you may want to give it a try.... I am pretty impressed by it..

http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/products/improves.html

OP
OP
D

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[Why the objection to replace the windshield? Is it that difficult on the Viper or is it pricey?]

My insurance will cover the cost; that's not my problem. It's just that I never trust the techs to do the job without inflicting some additional damage. I guess I'll just have to stand there and direct their efforts.

Thanks for all the responses....

Don

K

Kaya

Why the objection to replace the windshield? Is it that difficult on the Viper or is it pricey?

It isn't the price to install a new windshield, it is the tech who actually has experience in installing a Viper/Corvette/Insert special car here. I would rather do a whole bunch of unspeakable things before I get a windshield replaced.....

I had two vettes and both were hardtops...Z06...Both cars leaked like sieves after each repair..even though I was very specific with the techs...they don't care what you say...heck I am a stupid woman, what do I know? When you change the seals or use the same one...you need a whole tube of silicon on key areas....otherwise, water in your headliner.

I even had them water test the car and then brought the car home and water tested and had water pouring in. I have only had satisfaction when I stoodnext to the tech and told him where to put extra silicon.

I do not know about the Vipers...but the Vettes were a pain in the butt.

I would rather have body damage than windshield damage.....just my opinion.....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had those glass repairs done on my truck, the drilling and filling, cost aro $100, I think, and you can still see a small defect once the job is finished. I was not too happy with it-

When a large rock busted my window on my new 300SRT I decided to give the Diamond Fusion product a try. I've added about 4K miles since and not even the slightest ding on the windshield since... if you do replace your windshield you may want to give it a try.... I am pretty impressed by it..

Sounds interesting, but WHAT is it? There's nothing on the website (that's easy to find) on what the product actually is and how it's applied or purchased. Is it like a compound that you buff on, or a film?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Sounds interesting, but WHAT is it? There's nothing on the website (that's easy to find) on what the product actually is and how it's applied or purchased. Is it like a compound that you buff on, or a film?

Its a special acryilic that is thin enough to enter the crack and seal it/help make it invisible. The ends of the crack are drilled with a diamond drill to prevent it from spreading and aid in the filler wicking effect. It is then polished out with glass polishing compound. Same goes for surface chips, but they dont require drilling, just filling.

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Don, I had new windshield install in my 99 and my 03 and never had a problem with a leak but if you don't drive it in the rain alot you will never know it anyway,and if that patch is in your view when you are driving you will not like having a patch.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Diamond Fusion:
It is some liquid that the tech applies (he wears a mask) to the front of the winshield (with a brush) after some really good cleaning. It gets buffed really quickly then dries fast. I was worried that it might stain the black plastic pieces on the window trim, but it didn't or he did not get any on it... I tell you- I have had absolutely no pitting at all on a car that gets driven (SRT8).
They use this same stuff on military vehicles that get lots of desert use. It tints the window just a bit, that looks ok... In the Spring I'll get it for the Viper.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had one of those in my winshield for 20K miles now. Since it first happened I've been waiting for it to spead like a spiderweb, but unbelievably it hasn't changed.

I'd say leave it in place unless you see it go bad.

Thanks....

Don

Not a good idea. :nono: Get this fixed as soom as possible as it will eventually spread then you'll have to replace the entire windshield.

Just because it hasn't spread yet doesn't mean it won't. I learned this lesson a few years back on my truck.