Wiper Motor FYI

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I'd share what I recently learned in fixing my wiper motor problem.

I've had the problem where my passenger side wiper motor was acting up and colliding with the drivers side arm. I never tried to fix it because in Alabama cars don't have to go through safety inspections every year. Now that I moved to Tennessee I had to actually fix the problem.

By then the driver's side motor was completely dead. I confirmed this by hooking a lead from the positive battery terminal to the battery pin for the wiper motor and a ground lead to the low speed pin resulting in no movement. I decided to open up the motor housing and found that the windings were extremely corroded and green! Knowing this I decided to by a cheaper passenger side wiper motor and try to swap just the guts out of it.

I bought a passenger side motor off eBay for $75. When it arrived I confirmed the donor motor was good by doing the test described above. After I spliced the 3 wires leading from the capacitor on the wiper motor and switched the coil and coil housing to my old motor it worked great!

Now both wiper motors worked but I was still having the original problem with the arms colliding. I opened the housing and tried cleaning the motor position sensor but had no luck getting any different results. Now instead of removing the donor sensor and doing more splicing I just swapped everything back everything the way it originally was, coil housing and all. I then basically just took the donor passenger side motor and swapped mounting brackets with the old driver's side faulty motor.

It worked!!! I now have working windshield wipers again with no interference problems and I used 2 passenger side motors to do it! Any of you who have been putting off this fix because of the cost of a driver's side motor can now do it much cheaper!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
95% of the time the 'crazy' wiper is the GOOD motor. The controller senses and 'fixes' the BAD motor. So if you had replaced the "good-acting' motor you would have been fini, without all the hardware swapping etc etc

Good Info nonetheless, but your flea-bay vendor probably was a bit weak on tech support?

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
95% of the time the 'crazy' wiper is the GOOD motor. The controller senses and 'fixes' the BAD motor. So if you had replaced the "good-acting' motor you would have been fini, without all the hardware swapping etc etc

your flea-bay vendor probably was a bit weak on tech support?

Come on Jon, don't brow beat the guy. :confused: He is trying to share with the community a fix for a problem he had. In doing so, it may help other Viper owners and I give him much credit for doing so.

Nice job androbud :2tu:. Are you going to teh Huntsville event on the 28th of this month?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[B said:
99 R/T 10[/b];2666024]Come on Jon, don't brow beat the guy. :confused: He is trying to share with the community a fix for a problem he had. In doing so, it may help other Viper owners and I give him much credit for doing so.
I applaud and congratulate his from-the-heart advice, and his motive. As well has his mechanical and electrical prowess. But the kindly advice seems a huge long-way-around the easy fix, posted numerous times and searchable here: swap the GOOD ACTING motor. (which flea-bay failed to tell him)

My favorite is listed 1st. Coincidentally, 99rt10 and PartsRack had wiper motors for sale in some of these!

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/619496-windshield-wipers-not-sync.html#post2600747

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...-intermittent-control-module.html#post2550861

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...ailed-windshield-wiper-motor.html#post2384919

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/588873-help-wiper-problem.html

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[

I applaud and congratulate his from-the-heart advice, and his motive. As well has his mechanical and electrical prowess. But the kindly advice seems a huge long-way-around the easy fix, posted numerous times and searchable here: swap the GOOD ACTING motor. (which flea-bay failed to tell him)

I agree with you there. Of course doing the standard :search: would have yeilded the same results with much less work too. But part of the fun of owning this car is getting to know it intimately. At least that's my $.02 :2tu:

OP
OP
A

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me. I've done many searches on the subject and knew I needed to swap out the driver's side motor but was appalled by the difference in price between a driver's side motor and a passenger side motor. I honestly didn't see any driver's side specific wiper motors that were in the same price range as the one I bought and assumed they were different somehow only because of the price difference. Hopefully someone else will benefit from this information.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This seems the perfect thread to re-ask for help. My intermittent feature does not work.

The wipers work fine in the "on" position and do not clash. I had recently replaced the driver's side wiper (due to no wiping at all from either blade) and when the intermittent feature didn't work, I replaced the control box. I had previously checked continuity of the wires between the turn signal stalk switch and the control box; control box to wipers. So I'm assuming there is an internal issue with the driver's side motor, since the switch, wires, control box, and "on" action is OK. Or should I go back and look at something again?

It's funny how we get used to expecting things, like the intermittent feature, that didn't exist on my first car. But what I'm really worried about is that the wipers have some bigger problem and quit altogether again.