wiper won't wipe!

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wiper won\'t wipe!

Got caught out in a pop up shower today (DAMN) and for the first time went to use the wipers. The drivers side worked but the pasengers made few swipes and just laid over. Anyone else had this problem? Fix?

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: wiper won\'t wipe!

Could be a few things... most likely your driver motor sensor is bad (which is why the passenger side appears not to be working... it's not getting the correct signal from the driver's side that the driver's side blade is out of the way).

I hope you have an extended warranty... the wiper motors are something like $450 each. I had mine covered under a Maxcare warranty...

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thank you Achilles99 for a REAL answer. Yes I do have an extended warranty through Chrysler. They should cover it.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've had two GTS's since 97, and both have had wiper problems. In my case, the wipers collided in the middle of the windshield. This happened to me on the way to VOI-7. (We traveled 500 miles in a downpour!) I removed the passenger wiper arm, and everything on the driver side worked fine. There are two motors and a control module. As someone has said, more than likely the one that stopped working is fine -- it's the other one that's screwed up. I, too, have heard the motors (which are supposedly off a minivan rear wiper) are ridiculously expensive. A good reason for having an extended warranty.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've been advised (by the dealership) that my Added Care extended warranty does NOT cover the wiper motors.... but I called the DC warranty department and they said the Added Care Contract DOES cover the wiper motors and module?

OP
OP
K

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score

any chance the arm just came loose from the wiper motor shaft? How would I check that?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not sure about the newer Vipers but on my '94 the motors really aren't all that complicated. If you can't get the warranty to cover it, it's a simple matter to remove the motors and clean the sensors. It's not that that sensors go bad (usually) they just get an excessive amount of grease on them and quit sensing properly. Once the motors are removed, cut through some of the silicon sealant and there is one screw holding in each sensor. (I think) Take the sensors off and clean them, then clean the grease from where the sensors touch the interals of the motor. Leave some there for lubrication but it doesn't have to be caked on. I did this about 2 years ago and they've worked perfectly ever since.

--Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960