Wish it was all good news for my 2008 SSG

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just took delivery of my 08 SSG vert from Woodhouse today. I must say that Bill P. really makes the whole process a breeze. I am new to Vipers (former Z06 owner) and I got some good advice from some other Viper owners, on who to deal with and the process. Thanks to all who helped including Chuck Tator who sent me to Bill because he sold his entire allocation by the time I called. Bill got me the car I wanted and treated me well on my trade.
The SSG really is more beautiful in person, no doubt. I am very happy with my color choice. I hope the pic of me backing it out of the Woodhouse trailer uploads ok.
I took it for a ride with my wife and as we drove around I started to have some difficulties shifting. Nothing serious, I just pushed the clutch in a little further at first. Then I adjusted the pedals towards me a little. After a few more lights and starts and stops, I adjusted the pedals a little more and I started to suspect a problem. I brought my wife home and went out myself for another 20 or so miles. The more I drove the more difficultly I had shifting (even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor). I made it back home but now I have to shut the engine down to change gears. It wasn't fun gettting the car in the garage. I have a total of 82 miles (14 at delivery) on the car and it needs to go into the shop :(. Tators is a 3.5 hour drive from NH and it may have to be towed. I checked the resevoir and the clutch fluid is full. I also can't find any leaks of any sort. Anyone ever had an issue like this?

Attachments

• SmallViper.JPG
    SmallViper.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 217
V

Venomiss

Sorry to hear about the Viper and since it's too late to call Woodhouse make sure and call them first thing in the morning. Bill and Mark will take care of you.:)(and Chuck too!)

Welcome to the VCA!

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is awful news. I haven't had any problems with my 08 at all. I know that doesn't make things any better but at least you know its not system wide. Nothing worse than problems with a brand new car.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DANG.. hang in there man... when it is fixed the car will deliver many rewards...mine was towed in on second day of ownership for the computer flash...worth the wait... keep us updated on the problem

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's any consolation (and I know it's not as severe of a problem as what you are experiencing), my TPMS light has been on since I bought the car (it's apparently a sensor issue and I haven't made it back to the dealer as of yet). There are always some bugs to be worked out with a new model year platform. But as mentioned above, you'll be very happy once things are sorted out.

Best of luck.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge will make it right for you the dealers you are using are the BEST! I want to welcome you to the SSG club What a Great color it is! Just be greatful it is only a clutch issue, my SSG seems to have large black stipes down the drives side, and some cracked body part that just showed up after 661 miles, and I dont think hitting the tire wall between 8 and 9 had Watkins Glen last weekend had anything to do with it. I am soooo not happy with myself right now!!! Any one know the best place to get body parts cheap!

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Jon B........he'll set things in motion for you! Sorry to hear about the kiss on the track.......that's racing!
I love the SSG.........it's a great color.....now for the black stripes.......! Woodhouse will sort things out for you on the clutch issue.....be patient and it WILL be well worth it!

billseast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just took delivery of my 08 SSG vert from Woodhouse today. I must say that Bill P. really makes the whole process a breeze. I am new to Vipers (former Z06 owner) and I got some good advice from some other Viper owners, on who to deal with and the process. Thanks to all who helped including Chuck Tator who sent me to Bill because he sold his entire allocation by the time I called. Bill got me the car I wanted and treated me well on my trade.
The SSG really is more beautiful in person, no doubt. I am very happy with my color choice. I hope the pic of me backing it out of the Woodhouse trailer uploads ok.
I took it for a ride with my wife and as we drove around I started to have some difficulties shifting. Nothing serious, I just pushed the clutch in a little further at first. Then I adjusted the pedals towards me a little. After a few more lights and starts and stops, I adjusted the pedals a little more and I started to suspect a problem. I brought my wife home and went out myself for another 20 or so miles. The more I drove the more difficultly I had shifting (even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor). I made it back home but now I have to shut the engine down to change gears. It wasn't fun gettting the car in the garage. I have a total of 82 miles (14 at delivery) on the car and it needs to go into the shop :(. Tators is a 3.5 hour drive from NH and it may have to be towed. I checked the resevoir and the clutch fluid is full. I also can't find any leaks of any sort. Anyone ever had an issue like this?

Sorry to hear about the problem

But at least you came back from the dark side (vette)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, it's great to have the support of the VCA members and Woodhouse. I spoke with Viper Tech Mark J. today and he told me that the clutch master/slave cylinders may just need to be bled. If his theory is correct, we suspected that the clutch would probably be fine once the car has cooled down (I am thinking that any air in the system expands with heat and interferes with the release of the clutch). Well, just as predicted the clutch seems fine now that the car has cooled down. We went over the bleeding procedure for the 08 and I will do it this weekend. Hopefully this simple procedure is all that is necessary.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Dodge send you a check for your hourly manpower wage? It's brand new and you should not have to do that while under warranty and just after delivery? I do know this is an easy procedure and the fact that a relatively good mechanic or knowledgeable owner (like yourself) can work on a Viper doesn't mean you should have to in this case.

Hopefully you get a good discount on future mods or something to make up for it! Hope it works out :) .

OP
OP
E

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bled system (with the wifes help as clutch pedal jockey). Drove over 100 miles yesterday without an issue. This is a very straightforward process on the 08 with the built in bleeder valve. I hope this thread will be helpful to my fellow VCA members. Now I have to upload some more pics!

Reaction score
Glad this was all that was wrong Mike and thanks for your trouble in bleeding it. Your right though you shoud not have to do this and I assure you if there is anything you want in the future I will be more than happy to take care of you $$$.

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
EZ 2B GREEN,
How is this done? Did you have to access the slave from under the car or is just the master to bleed??

Do you have a hoist. I think I might have the same problem and am waiting to order the 08 service manual which isn't available yet.
If you prefer you can pm me?
Thanks,
Len

OP
OP
E

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008's have a clutch slave cylinder bleed screw. It's part of the bellhousing of the transmission just above the master cylinder line connection on the left side of the tranny. It's accessable from under the car without removing anything and you only need an 11mm box end wrench. The manual has separate procedures to bleed master and slave but since the slave is at the end of the system, I just chose the easiest option. PM your fax number and I will send you the page from the service manual. Remember, brake fluid is nasty to painted surfaces and such so take all necessary precautions before you start. D.O.T. 4 brake fluid only for 2008.

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the reply, pretty sure that's what's happening to mine but not a severe as yours was. The clutch is engaging just off the floor.
Where you able to buy a service manual? My dealer said they were not available for the 08's yet?

Thanks again,
Len

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge will make it right for you the dealers you are using are the BEST! I want to welcome you to the SSG club What a Great color it is! Just be greatful it is only a clutch issue, my SSG seems to have large black stipes down the drives side, and some cracked body part that just showed up after 661 miles, and I dont think hitting the tire wall between 8 and 9 had Watkins Glen last weekend had anything to do with it. I am soooo not happy with myself right now!!! Any one know the best place to get body parts cheap!
So, did you at least set the lap record for stock cars? Sorry about the mishap..that *****. The Glen can bite ya.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe dealers should just let their teenage porters drive the cars for a while before delivery, that way a lot of these quality control issues could be fixed before a customer picks up their car:omg:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte