Wix Oil filter

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the search function and was unable to find out the part number for an SRT oil filter. I figured that I could go to some part store but then again they wouldn't have the slightest clue. The part number I have found for a WIX is 51085. Are these good filters? I have heard that WIX makes a pretty good filter. Thanks for any information regarding this topic.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wix is fine, but why do you want to put a cheap filter on your viper? I use wix on my regular cars. Spend a couple extra bucks and get a mobil one filter - M1-204 or at least a mopar filter....K&N is a better one too- HP-2004.

FYI the SRT-10 takes the same filter as a 2002 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.7 v8 and other mopar vehicles share the same filter.

it's not rocket science, the guy at kragens or what ever parts house you go to should be be able to look it up for you.

OP
OP
A

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read, the Mopar filters are just filters made by someone else and then painted. I researched a little and found the following links:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy-mopar.html

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

The only reason I was wondering is because I actually plan on using an AMSOIL filter and was just wanting to use the WIX part number as a cross reference. I have been happy with the Mobile 1 but decided to switch to the new line of AMSOIL filters.

Thanks for the list of part numbers though. I may switch to the Mobile 1 or K&N after I do a little more research to find out filter and flow properties.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Amsoil filter is made by Wix. Wix, Champion and Purolator make the majority of filters. Check the recent archives and you may find more interesting news.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom Sessions told me once he recommends NAPA gold. He was in the Dyno room at chrysler watching all the engines running and they all had the NAPA filters on them.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the K & N hp-2004 for as long as the cows have come home with zero problems. I use them on everything. make sure you buy the expensive K & N filters and not their cheap replacement line.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Napa Gold and Wix Gold are the same. Both made by Wix.

That is what I use for the Viper.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I just changed the oil. OE Filter on my 2006 Viper coupe was Wix - it still had the Wix name on it. Mopar just put a sticker on it with their part number, 05037836AA. There are many brands of filters but few manufacturers. Wix has a very good reputation. Not sure who makes the K&N.

jpas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I worked at Dana, WIX was part of Dana & it was a well known fact that the WIX filters are pure trash. There were several performance tests that rated all of the top filter manufacturers and WIX along with FRAM ended up at the bottom of the barrel. I will try to find the report and post it if I can.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ,
The last time the page was updated was in 2003. Kind of outdated, but still good info. Wish he would do an updated test :(

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed the oil. OE Filter on my 2006 Viper coupe was Wix - it still had the Wix name on it. Mopar just put a sticker on it with their part number, 05037836AA. There are many brands of filters but few manufacturers. Wix has a very good reputation. Not sure who makes the K&N.

K & N filters are made by K & N. GR8 is quite correct that NAPA Gold is the same a Wix. From the link above the chance that Mopar is made by different manufactures including Fram does not sit well with me as I had a Fram racing filter cost me the Race of Champions at Pocono a few years back when the filter decided to split apart and grenaded my $75000.00 engine. the oil pressure was perfect right up to the point of the filter blowing. You can not believe the damage to the race car as it tore right up through the sheet metal floor and just missed me buy inches with the shrapnel from that filter.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fram is not an OEM supplier.

Doubtful that you really knew the actual pre filter oil pressure as gauges damp the signal so what you see is the average post filter pressure. The filter could have been subjected to oscillating pressures with a peak pressure much higher than the gauge reading.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Robbie,

Don't want to argue, but the owner of K&N is a local viper club member who I have had several dinners and drinks with. I also know some of his race support team. We have raced together. K&N doesn't, to my knowledge, make the oil filters that they sell. They provide the specs, like many companies who sub work out, but don't do the manufacturing. They wouldn't tell me who makes them.

GR8 ASP is correct. Occaisionally in race engines oil pressure spikes very quickly and can blow oil filters off. This has happened to more than a few comp coupes and many other race car engines.

When the regional VCA presidents visited Detroit last week and had the chance to speak with some of the SRT engineers, they spoke very favorably about the new oil filters. These were the ones that we received at VOI 9. Wix makes these. DC / SRT are the ones that have to warrant our engines, so it doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't use a good oil filter.

Dan

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To both Viper, and GR8, your comments are well taken. I have made a note of the filter part number and will order one so I can cut it apart for a look inside. I want to compare it to the K & N filter. I am curious, did the owner of K & N recommend his oil filter over the Mopar unit and does he run the Mopar filter on his personal viper or his own K & N oil filter?

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jerry (K&N) runs the K&N filter on his 800 rwhp GTS.

His guys recommended the K&N it over the old (black) filter.

Dan

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most high end filters - K&N, Mobil 1, etc, are made by a company called Champion Labs. I had extensive dealings wtih them when we had a Mobil 1 oil filter fail on startup on one of our 1996 GTS's. Their failure analysis showed that the end cut of the filter gasket material had been used causing an uneven seating surface internal to the filter - looked normal from the outside. Didn't get a warm fuzzy that their process was "fixed" or that any changed were made, so I quit using them.

After that - we switched to NAPA Gold filters - never had an issue, but a friend had a filter failure (or - it backed off the threads) and his car caught fire. Filter failure or use install issue - I dont know.

So... we are now back to Champion Labs' K&N filter due to the 1. ability to safety wire it on and 2. the convenient 1" nut welded to the bottom that makes for E-Z removal.

So far, so good.

gtssnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have and still do business with WIX. They are a N.C. company and make a fantastic filter. They do private label for alot of companies.
They are very well known in the Nascar circuit.

You will be happy using Wix filters. I have used them for many years in alot of my cars and have always been very happy with their product.

They are an old Southern company and the nicest people to do business with.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My client and many of my employees work at many of the 7 Wix locations in Gastonia, NC. They make multiple filter lines at different price points and their Viper filters are top quality. You'd be surprised to know who makes your filter.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated above Wix is a great company and so is K & N. I have used Wix filterers in the industrial / construction market for years with no failures. The same holds true for NAPA Gold oil filters on passanger cars and trucks. As far as K & N filters are concerned I have been using their products, on my personal race cars, for as long as I can remember racing and that is over 40 years without any failures.

OP
OP
A

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information everyone. I will probably be going with the new high flow oil filter. Once again thanks for the input. I could sit and read stuff on this forum all day long and occasionally I do. I love reading stuff about these cars. I can honestly say that there is such a feeling of satisfaction from these Vipers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masterofzen