wondering what mod to do this winter

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No good on the S.C., don't want that.
Did gears, Nx system, all the other small basic stuff, brakes okay. Don't want to lower the car, no good around town as it is. Wouldn't mind shocks that were adjustable electronically from inside the car. I could adjust for street/track. Thinking of a roll bar, bolt on?

AC

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you got a cup holder? but seriously. you have a catback. how about some B&B headers and roe oval cats for some HP?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A contact of mine developed the suspension setup on the SRT10 Ram while working for SRT. He now works in a suspension compnay specializing in customized air suspension. I know he is keen to do a Viper - I'll speak to him and see where they are at.

They are getting amazing results with BMW's Audi, and STI WRX's.... how's dropping 1.5 seconds a lap sound on no other changes, plus the ability to have 3 different ride heights and spring/dampening rates all at the push of a button...

BTW - electronic controlled shocks like Tein are all about marketing - you'd never tell the difference driving.

Air suspension is most likely the future - it is the only efficient way to simulatenously control - height, spring rate and dampening rates - meaning that cars of the future could have a drag race setting, a street setting, and a road course setting... plus even an extra height manual adjustment for parking or clearing a driveway.... the problems of the past are just that - this is an exciting new frontier.

OP
OP
A

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stock short headers....I'm okay with that. Horsepower not a problem, handling at the track, I'd like to improve. I want to stick like glue. I need more G's.

Wheels, for the street I want to stay stock. I like the way they look and once I saw the car on the road from a distance, the stock wheels look real good spinning, so they will stay as is.

Torquemaster......now that sounds interesting. Talk to your fiend, talk to me, where is he? Does he want a car to try the set-up? I'll be his marketing test car.

AC

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From one Steel Gray to another. I am quite pleased with the Fidanza flywheel addition I did last year. I know this issue has been flogged a bit here, but for for track or autocross use it's a positive thing. The difference in spool up time--especially in first and second--is quite noticeable.

Steve

OP
OP
A

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T-Monster, Thanks.

Tom, what will the 40mm rears do for me? I thought most of the braking power happens up front anyway.

Flywheel and clutch mods...what will it do for me? What is the "difference" that you feel?

Thanks guys.

AC

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew, for those cars without ABS, the OEM brake balance isn't too good. Yes, most of the braking happens up front, but the OEM rear brakes are so small that they don't do their share. Complaints of front wheel lock-up, poor control in sudden situations and overheating the fronts can be substantially reduced or eliminated if the rear brakes did a little more work.

The StopTech* front caliper setup addresses this by using smaller pistons in those calipers. The smaller size up front slightly reduces brake clamping force, but results in a better front-to-rear brake balance. Lots of folks are happy with this improvement, and by enlarging the rears to 38mm diameter, this same front-to-rear balance is achieved.

Going to 40mm provides even more rear brake clamping force, enough to just about make all four wheels each do their fair share (notice I didn't say equal) under heavy braking. It will feel more comfortable on the street and at Pocono, you get more pedal control, and you don't have to drive the car around the capabilities of the front brakes. Chuck installed a pair on Ghetto Viper's car recently and gave it a test drive. Ask him and Tom M. for their comments.

It's also a valuable help to have more rear brake if you tow with your Viper...

You don't need special pads, different brake lines, rotors, to cut off any brackets, to add a parking brake, etc. It uses 100% of the OEM system, so it is a direct swap. I'll send you something - check your email.

*StopTech doesn't endorse or even know about what I'm doing. I just use their system as a reliable point of reference.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BRAKES
If you are making the car go quicker, you need to be able to stop it.
My suggestion is the complete stoptech solution including steel brake lines - this gives a very firm pedal.

However, there are several folks building kits to adapt the Compe Coupe (2003 Viper) brake kit to your car. This is the ideal solution as the rotors and pads are cheap - important if you are tracking the car - and the pads are huge so pad life is extraordinary compared to Stoptechs.
I have the Stoptech setup on my car and on some tracks I can go thru a set of pads in a day. The CC guys are getting several weekends from a set.

If you are not into a lot of serious track stuff then go with the earlier suggestion. Any improvement to the rear brakes is a good thing.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gavin, agreed, and I looked at all the available systems, too. Someday I'll go upscale, but until I'm rich and famous, cost and simplicity are factors. That, and being unable to stay away from attempting the underdog, do-it-yourself ideas. The result was the 40mm system; 80% of the gain for 20% of the $$. (Actually 28% but that doesn't sound as good.)

40mm rears - $630 plus exchange
StopTech front kit - $2200
StopTech 4 wheel kit - $4400
CC Kit - ?

Yes, StopTech also provides rotors, brake lines and small parts, and for situations where brake heat dissipation is the ultimate performance limit, a system of overall larger size should be an advantage. I'd be happy describing the 40mm caliper as what the car should have come with in the beginning.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from my first drive with Tom's 40mm rear calipers. All I have to say is WOW.... I can really FEEL the difference.

Stopping from 60 mph seems much more controlled. At $850 ( I had the rears and a set of fronts powdercoated red) it's the cheapest mod with the biggest Bang.

Definitely worth the dinero.

When we get a sunny day I'll post pictures.... the red calipers are a nice poser mod too.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew you have pm. Brian is happy to talk with you.

If anyone else is interested in the website - www.praxissystems.com their air suspension is being proven on road courses and they are now keen to prove it on the drag strip.... how else could you alter spring rates, dampening rates and ride height all at the touch of one button?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine