Won't go into 3rd under hard acceleration- HELP Please

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under a hard or WOT my car (03) won't go into 3rd. It's like it's hitting a wall. It has a Hurst short shifter but I don't remember if it has adjustments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under load does the shift handle move so far that the leather boot gets tight around it and prevents the shifter from lining up with the gate?

No the lever is traveling the correct distance. It just stops at that point. Could the short throw shifter be the cause of the problem?

Thanks for the response.
Sal

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Be sure that the short shifter is still properly bolted in place. Have seen a similar problem on the track caused by loose/missing bolts on the shifter.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have same problem with my 03 and thinking it was a tranny mount problem. My shifter moves ( to me alot) under acceleration but someone stated the "correct distance" how much should it move? or is that to hard to explain...:) lol
If I had to guess my issue is a tranny mount, I just have not put it on a lift yet

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep us posted Sal. Hope it turn.s out ok. Maybe just the
Mounts are bad.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Typical T-56 "Dead Spot" shifting issue. You are wacking the spot right in between the 3/5 gate. It is almost impossible to feel when the car is sitting still, but can be hit when the car is moving. Try holding the shifter a different way; DO NOT grip the shifter, push the shifter up and over from the 7 o'clock position with the palm of your hand. if you grip it, you are far too likely to try and push the shifter too far to the right, resulting in your problem.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typical T-56 "Dead Spot" shifting issue. You are wacking the spot right in between the 3/5 gate. It is almost impossible to feel when the car is sitting still, but can be hit when the car is moving. Try holding the shifter a different way; DO NOT grip the shifter, push the shifter up and over from the 7 o'clock position with the palm of your hand. if you grip it, you are far too likely to try and push the shifter too far to the right, resulting in your problem.

Thanks Dan. I'll give that a try when I get her out next time. I do have a tendency to grip the shifter. Under full acceleration alot of things 'tighten' up.:D

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under a hard or WOT my car (03) won't go into 3rd. It's like it's hitting a wall. It has a Hurst short shifter but I don't remember if it has adjustments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same issue, I installed polyurfn tranny mount and it didn't help much, I hear that I need to install engine poly mounts to make this issue go away. However, for now when I am at race track I am taking it a little slower to change from 4th to 3rd gear to avoid any damage.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Won't go into 3rd under hard acceleration- Update

Never did resolve this. Tried different grip, fluid, etc. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's frustrating having to let off the accelerator until the rpm's come down. Any new thoughts?

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my GenII, I use palm for 3rd gear, then 1st 2 fingers for 4th gear.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what leslie said.

there used to be an illustration kicking around here showing just this

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if you have a bent shifter linkage rod? If you, or someone else, power shifted the car, this can happen fairly easily in the Gen III. Your problem could also be due to a degraded synchro pack. Check the linkage first.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Won't go into 3rd under hard acceleration- Update

Never did resolve this. Tried different grip, fluid, etc. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's frustrating having to let off the accelerator until the rpm's come down. Any new thoughts?

Really shooting in the dark. To eliminate the Synchro, try a high RPM downshift from 4-3. DONT actually let off the clutch, just do it at a speed where you would be close to redline in 3rd. Take 3rd to redline, shift to forth, and then back to third without letting off the clutch. If the shift is smooth, your synchros are fine.

Fluid would not have much to do with this, provided the above works fine.

Other than that, the only things left are shifter type and a visual examination of the shift forks.

........or just say screw it, and put in a new TR-6060 ;)

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have the same issue. It seems that when under load or load suddenly drops the whole engine/trany turns and changes the angle slightly. As the trany position changes you are starting to hit in between 3 and 5 gear. Stiffer engine/trany mounts might help.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I changed out my tranny mount but by the time i changed the mount out the weather took a turn for the worst and really has not warmed up enough for me to do some hard 2-3 wot shifts. Will have to wait till spring but i was thinking i was hitting a dead spot between 1-3 not 3-5th.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same issue. It seems that when under load or load suddenly drops the whole engine/trany turns and changes the angle slightly. As the trany position changes you are starting to hit in between 3 and 5 gear. Stiffer engine/trany mounts might help.

My mounts are great and nothing shifts or rotates. I'll try the 'palm' and see if it helps. Thanks everyone.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the same problem when i first got my rt. I thought it was me until i had a short shifter installed.That's when i learned i had a broken shifter. Don't know if this is your problem but worth checking.I could shift during regular shifting,but anytime i got on it a little i kept missing the shifts. Good luck whatever it is.:drive:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Sounds like a master cylinder issue. My shot in the dark on why it would be the master cylinder is that normally the slave cylinder either completely fails or starts leaking prior to failure. The master might not be providing enough pressure to allow the slave to push the clutch fingers in hard enough to disengage the friction disc from the flywheel under higher loads. This could also be an issue with the clutch pedal not applying enough throw to the master as this would cause a similar issue. I'm not sure if there is a factory adjustment under the dash to apply more tension from the clutch pedal to the master, but if there is then I'd try that route first before I completely replaced the master cylinder.