Would you buy this Viper

Turboz1r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

One of my close friends has a 97 GTS red with no stripes that he bought new, and wants to sell it. Question is would you pay more money then the going prices for a 97 to get this one which I know the entire history about. The car is one owner, never in rain with like 3K miles.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mike in NJ

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike: Sounds like a "better than average" package. One thing to watch out for is that in 97 there were some problems with the red "blistering". It may show up much later or not at all, can't tell. Give us an idea of how much the asking price is, or how much "over" the norm is... I would still have a VCA Member look at it with you.

OP
OP
T

Turboz1r

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd,

Thanks for the reply. He is asking around the low 50's, 52,500.00 maybe. It looks like they are going anywhere from like 40 to high 40's. No problems with the paint yet, its perfect now, but I know what you mean about problems later.

Thanks again, Mike

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's somewhat high, but the miles are low. Tough call. I think the B&W's would bring it no problem, but I'm not sure about a solid red...

You just have to do what's right for you. More guys will respond with more insight, I'm sure.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the price is high, my guess would be $48-49k. Assuming no mods no issues and even better an extended warranty. Does this car have the Gold or Yellow wheels? If it does that could be worth alittle more. I have thought about buying one with Gold wheels, taking the wheels off and replace with aftermarket to keep them pristine. I figure in 10 years they could be worth $$$. In 97, 706 were Red and 965 were BW. 7 had the gold wheels and 14 had the yellow. If this were a B/W his price would be low.

I am looking for a viper and doing continuous pricing research. A non B/W 97 brings about 50 max with one near me at $48,000 with 5500 miles.

On the other hand, if you like the car and it is something you plan to keep then offer 50K and be happy. You have piece of mind knowing the life of the car. On the other hand for $53-57 you can get a 01GTS with low miles (<15K) as well.

Don't you love these easy decisions!!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

If the car is in Joisey, I surely can get someone (me?) to take a look at it!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$50k YES, you know the car, won't have to worry about anything in regards to it's history. Miles are GREAT.

I wouldn't worry about spending a couple thousand more/less on a car like that!

But it, enjoy it! :2tu:

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also depends on whether you plan on driving this car or keeping it a garage queen. Once you rack up about 10,000 miles, you'll lose @ $5K pretty quick off your purchase price. (Like buying new from a dealer!)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also depends on whether you plan on driving this car or keeping it a garage queen. Once you rack up about 10,000 miles, you'll lose @ $5K pretty quick off your purchase price. (Like buying new from a dealer!)

I am not sure that still happens with Gen I & II Vipers. Everyone I have talked to lately that deals with selling Vipers, has said the prices have gone back up from the Initial Decline when the SRT10 came out, and stabalized!

Our cars are very limited and high in Demand! :2tu:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The comfort of knowing the entire history of the car and how it was treated is well worth a few extra grand. Buy it and join the club!

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shameless plug- you can get mine 02 which is also one owner car with known (none) history for about the same money. look into the classifieds...

a red 97 is not worth 50k at any miles. sorry.

alex
few cars

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Too high even knowing the history unless you plan on keeping the odometer at 3k. Just because you know everything about the car from the day it rolled out of CAAP doesn't mean it won't have its problems just like any other car - I personally think 3k in 8 years is a depreciation, unlike vettes, vipers like to be driven and take offense to being couped up in a garage.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, its worth it, hands down. To have a car that you KNOW the history of, with those miles. Is worth that money.... Could you find one in the $40's on Ebay? Sure..... But you can bet there are stories, and future issues that go along with it. I paid more for the "right" car. And have no looked back... Because the car is everything I expected in a low mileage Viper..

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

YEHP! he said it

so if you plan on keeping the miles like WAY down, you will be able to preserve what you paid for-a low mil viper.

for low 50's, you can buy an '01 with ABS and less than 20K miles and DRIVE IT.

just depends on what you want the car for

good luck

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you buying it to drive it or look at it in the garage everyday. if you gonna drive it doesnt matter if it has 3k miles on it and price way high. you can get a 2001 or newer with under 10k miles(practically new) for the same low $50 price AND you can get yellow...

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He's definitely asking a premium but I personally would prefer to buy a local car with its history known and I would pay that premium. If you plan on keeping the car for many years, the premium paid won't mean anything. If you buy it and sell it within a year or two and put some miles on it, then the premium paid will be significant.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad deal for a low mileage car with a known good history. You're paying a premium but with the cost of Viper parts and labor these days you can have your savings on a car with miles and unknown history eaten-up real quick.
As you know there are plenty of cars out there that have spent a lot of time on the track/dragstrip.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it would be a quick, painless deal, and you'd be getting a low-mileage, one-owner car. There aren't a lot of those around anymore, and there are fewer and fewer each day. Plus you know the car's excellent history. Buying a car from out of state or halfway across the country is a pain; it's worth paying a couple of thousand more for a local car and an easy deal. If that's the car you want -- do it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery