Would you let a stranger drive your Viper?

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that is paranoid. I let only 3 of my friends drive the car while I was in it. However I met this guy for the first time ( he was my friends father in-law)and he let me drive his Ferrari 550!!! I refused but after taking me for a ride he said drive it...it is only a car. I have turned down a good number of people that wanted to drive...including wallet parking guys.
Right now I have a guy that is interested in buying my car. He wants to test drive and I don't think that I will let him. What should I do? Would you let him drive?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to sell the car to a prospective buyer you have to however under very controlled and limited conditions set forth by you, the owner!

Adam

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be pretty sure that he was a serious prospect. You might suggest that you do the driving. I sold a BMW 740 and Jag XK8 last yr. and felt that many people just wanted to drive a nice car.
Trouble is, one doesn't always know who is serious.
My '02 GTS is on the market and I plan to do all the driving unless the "buyer" has "Viper experience".

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Never, under no circumstances, would I let a buyer drive my car. I'd take him for a ride and if that is not good enough for him, then he can take a hike. My friends drive my car, but strangers can't.

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my 2000 GTS from a Dodge dealer's showroom, they would not let me drive it until after I signed all the paperwork. I know they did not let anyone else drive it, so even though I was a ticked at the time, I am glad they stuck to their policy.

When my 03 SRT came in, the dealer (different one) let me drive it, even though I ended up not buying it. He said I was the only one who was allowed to drive one of the 20+ SRTs he recevied before buying because I was having a hard time making up my mind. He had three black ones at the time and he was suddenly worried about getting stuck with all three. His drive-before-you-buy almost worked... :D

When I sell my 2000, I will not let anyone drive it until after the deal is done.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only let one of my friends drive my car and it was in a development and not on the open road. I just do not trust many with the car. I will let the valet people drive it though since they usually must drive the car, at least where I go (NYC Garages, restaurants, and NICE malls mostly). If there is a front where the valet station is I always have them leave it there so that I know it is not being driven far and they can keep an eye on it. Works out for everyone this way. Also copy down the mileage each time you give it to a valet. Can come in VERY handy sometimes.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am VERY conscious of who I allow to drive my car. Basically, if you havent driven a Viper before, you aint gonna be learn'n on mine! The ONLY people who have ever driven my car are other Viper owners, the Viper tech, and the Salesman who I bought it from. Each and every time, I am in the car when it is on the road- not one unaccounted for mile on my car. The furthest my car has traveled without my company is from the garage door at Northtown Dodge, to the front of the lot to be parked... LOL!!! Hell... even my dad hasnt driven my car!

beckertb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I let some guy Heffner or something like that drive my car once :) On a more serious note, I have given a few people the opportunity to drive the car with me as a co-pilot. My paint/body guy and friend has taken it without me around (obviously with my permission). It all depends on your comfort level--and his/her ability to fix what gets broken. Regardless of what we sometimes think: it is ONLY a car.........just a very special one.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read on this site a clever idea. If someone wants to buy the car, and wants a "test drive" tell them OK I want $50.00 (or what ever amount) up front. If they purchase the car that will go toward the purchase price, if not you will donate it to a local charity.(in their name) This should **** out all the "tire kickers" and joy riders.

I wish I could take credit for this, but it is not my idea. I will use it when I sell my car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
At the Rendez AutoX in Englishtown I let about six strangers take my car around a couple of times. It felt good, but I'm sure I wouldn't let someone go out on an open highway without me.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew across the country to the West Coast, with a certified check in hand, and the seller still would not let me drive the car.

In the end I was comfortable that perhaps the ownership of the car had been so fickle as well.

3 years later it has turned to be a perfect car that was maintained to the hilt from day 1, so it all worked out in my case.

Nonetheless to spend that kinda cash on a car and not even drive it before buying it!

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have to do whatever feels right for you. I have let several people who were Viper lovers drive my car with me in it. I have never found any of them to even come close to abuseing the car. In fact, some of them never even got out of third gear. Most people have a lot of respect for the car and it is hard to even get them to push down on the Go peddle. I would never let someone take it out on their own, but it is pretty easy to keep things under control if you are in the car. I personally would not buy a used car without driving it first but that's just me. Especially if I have traveled a great distance to see it.

Doc

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before Heffner got ahold of my GTS, I had let a few people drive it a bit with me in the passenger seat. Let them take it for a drive alone, NO WAY.

I used to let my friends take my C5, and still let my friends/family take my Prowler. But they ain't touching my GTS, especially now. Viper's aren't in the same situation, too much power for BAD stuff to happen, more likely on the first drives too!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have let a few folks drive mine. No funny stuff, just a little drive with me in the right seat.

I don't know how anyone could buy a used Viper without a test drive.
Even a mechanic doing a check up on a car, couldn't tell the whole story without a little drive time.

What would you do if you got in your just bought used Viper after the deal was done, and you found that the clutch had to be pressed all the way max to the floor? Or the car pulled just a little to the left all the time?

In selling a used Viper, you have to figure out who is a real buyer and who isn't.
One way would be a discussion of exactly how this guy is going to pay for the car.
If he doesn't have that all worked out, he's just getting a ride, not a drive.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was obvious that I was addicted to the look of the Viper. But the test drive was the Best Selling Point! After that, how could I get back in my C5? :laugh:

From a dealer, I would never buy w/o a test drive. From an individual, well really depends on a lot of factors.

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to sell it...you probably need to let him drive it..with you as a passenger of course!! Hell, the first time I drove one was when Woodhouse delivered it to my house...I drove it 20 feet..right into my garage! (There was snow on the ground at the time) Since then..no one has driven it but me. Thank goodness my wife can't drive a stick!!! :D

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did think it was strange considering a had a check in my hand in his name for a predetermined amount, the deal was non-negotiable.

I had him go thru all the things I would do on the road, hands off the wheel, brake off the wheel, throttle off the wheel, etc.

Certainly some element of risk, but when everything else was like brand new fair assumption to think the unknowns are as well.

Certainly my age came into play at the time as well.

I love seeing the thrill of a buddies eyes when behind the wheel of my car, and the above is right, all are respectful and just throw a few stabs on open county roads, perfect.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do need to think about what it would be like if the worst happens.

In the early 60s I had a 1950something BSA Goldstar motorcycle, 500cc single.
I worked part time at a gas station. One of the other kids working there said, "let me ride your bike around the station lot".
He got on it, went about three feet and then did an out of control wheelstand straight into the board fence between the station and the 7-11 next door.

That was my only transportation, he didn't have any money to fix it and neither did I.
If I met him today and he asked to drive my Viper, I'd say no.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many of you have wives who drive the Viper? Bet it is fewer that 50%. Mine never even drove my C5.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife says she can't see out of the Viper. She will drive the C4 if need be but she says the same thing about that.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife drives mine all the time. I even had to make special aluminum pedals (look very cool) that bring them forward 2 inches so she can reach them. I let just about anyone drive it as long as I am in the car. I find that most people are quite respectful of it in that situation and they usually end up asking me to drive to take them for a "real" ride.

Jeff

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got one cool wife. At 5'11 1/2", mine's tall enough, but hasn't tried it. I'm probably not the best one to teach her.
I always thought it cool to see women driving Vipers and M/Cs.

S

SUN RA KAT

Let him drive it. Go along with him. No big deal.

Whats the worst that can happen?

Last year a guy went on his first drive in a RT-10 he was thinking of buying and he picked up his friend. A short while later the Viper had flipped several times killing the friend and the driver was is critical care for at least a month and the Viper was totalled...

I think that sums up what the worst that can and did happen.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I let Valet guys park it all of the time. After all they park cars that are way more expensive then the Viper and they always keep it real close so its not like they are going for spins around the block.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd have no problems - with this proviso - I'd do it with the same care I'd give to handing someone a loaded gun.

It's called trust - and part of wisdom is knowing who we can and who we can't.