Wow! HUGE day for Vipers at Barrett-Jackson as far as I am concerned.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you did not watch on television, two different radical customs (one by Boyd Coddington and one by a lesser-known house) that had Viper engines were sold for over $500k each. Just re-assures the public that our cars have one of the premier american engines ever made. I mean why would they choose our powerplant over all others on a multi-hundred thousand dollar super custom if it was not a showpiece of a powerplant? Even though no Viper rolled across the auction block, I think all of us owners made a little bit of paper $$$ today.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You can think that if you want to... :rolleyes:

Heh heh, just kidding ya, Phoenix! Its a great looking engine, to be sure.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really doubt the V-10 has that much to do with price. Most people wouldn't car if it had a V-10 or a S/C SBC. Personally I would have put a Hemi in for sound reasons.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really doubt the V-10 has that much to do with price. Most people wouldn't car if it had a V-10 or a S/C SBC. Personally I would have put a Hemi in for sound reasons.
You are missing my point. I am not saying that the cars attracted $500k BECAUSE they had Viper engines, what I am saying it that when they built those cars they could have chosen ANY engine given the cost of the build, and they chose the Viper engine. Inference is the Viper engine is a great engine with an accepted wow factor and a kind of modern cachet. They could have put hemis in those cars but did not, and obviously the two shops that built those cars know what they are doing.

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great point about the Viper motor being used!

I do have a question that has puzzled me all weekend. How can a Boyd Coddington car go for $500k when he is shown building crap on TV (in under 4 weeks). If he is all into quality, then why the unrealistic deadlines causing bandaided cars to go out the door.

It's a wonder any of the TV cars run for more than a month later after they do "whatever it takes" to get them finished.

Any thoughts? What could be possibly do to a car to make it worth that much??

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree. Theres a company that makes Cuda's using a Viper donor. They buy a RT10 and put a 72 cuda body on it. They had one on ebay, bidding went to $175,000. No way this car could have got this kind of money without the Viper underpinnings.

Viper Cuda

I've already received two offers to buy the remains of my 02 after the insurance co. finishes the claim. Both want the car for rod projects.

Bill

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of unusual engine swaps. One of the neatest street rods I've ever seen was in Pigeon Forge Tn. I think it was a 50's buick with a Jaguar v-12 engine. Those cars using the cookie cutter chevy engines are mostly boring. VinR1, was it sold as her car or did it pass through other owners? Wish I was born rich instead of so darn good looking! John

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The na sayers will sooner or later have no choice but to admit that the Viper is a classic in its own time. It is admired and respected around the world. Yes, there will always be something a little faster or sleeker out there in new car land. But, classics are classics. The Viper V-10 is just the starting point. You can go so many different directions with that engine and relatively inexpensively. The Viper legacy will continue like the icon it reincarnated, the Shelby Cobra.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great point about the Viper motor being used!

I do have a question that has puzzled me all weekend. How can a Boyd Coddington car go for $500k when he is shown building crap on TV (in under 4 weeks). If he is all into quality, then why the unrealistic deadlines causing bandaided cars to go out the door.

It's a wonder any of the TV cars run for more than a month later after they do "whatever it takes" to get them finished.

Any thoughts? What could be possibly do to a car to make it worth that much??

At least I am not the only one who feels this way about this guy. I bring it up to people all the time, and its amazing how most dont even realize that is what he is doing. :crazy:

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can a Boyd Coddington car go for $500k when he is shown building crap on TV (in under 4 weeks). If he is all into quality, then why the unrealistic deadlines causing bandaided cars to go out the door.
It is a TV show. They make things up like artificial time deadlines to make it interesting. You really think the Tuetels on American Chopper scream at each other all the time? Think about how many Boyd Coddington roadsters have won the Oakland Roadster Show. He did not get there by building weak cars. I could not find A picture of the WhatTheHey, but note that this body was designed and built from scratch. This is not a modified De La Hey.

VinR1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VinR1, was it sold as her car or did it pass through other owners? Wish I was born rich instead of so darn good looking! John
she was #2 of 4 owners if memory serves correct... she sold it in 1970 for $1200 :(

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can a Boyd Coddington car go for $500k when he is shown building crap on TV (in under 4 weeks). If he is all into quality, then why the unrealistic deadlines causing bandaided cars to go out the door.
It is a TV show. They make things up like artificial time deadlines to make it interesting. You really think the Tuetels on American Chopper scream at each other all the time? Think about how many Boyd Coddington roadsters have won the Oakland Roadster Show. He did not get there by building weak cars. I could not find A picture of the WhatTheHey, but note that this body was designed and built from scratch. This is not a modified De La Hey.

Boyd Coddington is either a prickk or a *****. If he is anything like he is portrayed on his show then he is a prickk. If he is not a prickk and allows himself to be portrayed as such, he is a *****. Take your pick, ***** or prickk.

Chip Foose on the other hand is a great guy. :2tu: :usa:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boyd Coddington is either a prickk or a *****. If he is anything like he is portrayed on his show then he is a prickk. If he is not a prickk and allows himself to be portrayed as such, he is a *****. Take your pick, ***** or prickk.

Chip Foose on the other hand is a great guy. :2tu: :usa:

I agree. I personally know a custom car builder that has met and been around Boyd at certain shows and from what he says, you are correct.

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chip Foose rules!!! I got to see Lance Armstrong's GTO first hand a couple of weeks ago. It is a beauty!!! Overhaulin is a great show too! I would love to have one of my cars "stolen" for an overhaul on that show. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960