Wrecked my GTS yesterday, need advice. PICS

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was rear ended yesterday on the freeway. The car behind me hit me doing abut 50 while I was stopped in traffic. I was OK but the people in the other car were hurt pretty bad.

I found out today that they only carried min. insurance coverage, (PIP & 10/20 property damage). This means I have to claim thru my own policy.

I called Hagerty and set up a claim. The car is insured at $65k. The claims lady said that they only total if the repairs exceed this amount.

1) Has anyone else dealt with Hagerty on a claim before?
2) How much damage do you think there is?
3) How much do you think I could get for the car w/ a clear title?

7460DSC00648-med.JPG

7460DSC00649-med.JPG

7460DSC00650-med.JPG

7460DSC00651-med.JPG

7460DSC00652-med.JPG

7460DSC00655-med.JPG

7460DSC00660-med.JPG

There are more ics in my gallery.

Thanks,
Bill

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill,

That's terrible, I'm sorry to hear about what happened. It's especially too bad, because you weren't doing anything wrong.

I wish you the best.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are OK. That bums when somebody with minimum limits is the tortfeasor. Good luck with Hagerty. Many carriers total a vehicle when the repair cost is at or about 80% of ACV. Keep us advised.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's some pretty serious damage. I can't believe that the state would only allow someone to have that kind of minumum coverage on liability. You could go after the person for additional loss, but doubt you would get anything if they only had that kind of insurance.

You better make sure you don't have frame rail damage. If they hit you that hard at 50mph...there's most likely a lot of hidden damage. I would get someone like DLM to maybe vouch for the car or someone who is well known in assisting in the viper value.. I think JonB has done something like this before with others..

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you can't get blood from a turnup, but you or your insurance company will have to go after the loser that hit you. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Make sure to demand all new parts! The cost will exceed $65K(my bet).

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with ab -- get a Viper expert to assess it for you. Don't just settle with any claims adjuster. Haggerty is experienced with specialty cars and they should be cooperative.

Man, that *****, since mine is the same year and color it makes me shudder! Good luck, keep us informed on how it comes out. :rolleyes:

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you can't get blood from a turnup, but you or your insurance company will have to go after the loser that hit you. :mad: :mad: :mad:

At first I was really pissed at them. However, they have their own problems. Ones in serious condition, the other in critical. They don't have any medical payments coverage on their policy. And to top it all off, it turns out they are both *** positive.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

At first I was really pissed at them. However, they have their own problems. Ones in serious condition, the other in critical. They don't have any medical payments coverage on their policy. And to top it all off, it turns out they are both *** positive.

Well they do have issues....what were they doing while they hit you at those speeds? This is going to sound mean, but were they high on drugs or what? Unless you had to come to a sudden stop, I would imagine that traffic would have been heavy and they would have noticed it. Oh well...I'm glad you are okay.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you could be pretty close to 65K. If there's frame damage, which it looks like there is, at 50 MPH it probably did some serious damage to the roll pan and everything else close to it.

What I see damaged:

Rear bumper cover
rear bumper
rear exhaust assembly
left rear quarter panel
right rear quater panel
Deck lid
rear panel
rear hatch
rear lights

that's already a bundle and that's just what I can see.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the rear tub in a GTS - not sure that part is even available without a major frame section. However, underneath, what we can see - the frame horns and suspension points don't look munged. Viper does a pretty good job of isolating the suspension pickup points from damage - i.e. crumple zone type frame construction.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a bit off topic, but I'm continually amazed at how well the Viper holds up in accidents. Someone nailed the back of this GTS doing 50MPH and, granted, there is heavy damage but not nearly the type of damage that many other/lesser cars would have suffered. Glad to hear you're ok, Bill and sorry to hear that your Viper is not.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're this and that?? Who cares? Sue the B#st#rds for all you can. That *****. "No heart John", but has good insurance!!

OP
OP

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have the space saver spare installed when they hit you?

No, I have a custom subwoofer box and amps back there. Most of the wood is in scraps now.

Bill

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They're this and that?? Who cares? Sue the B#st#rds for all you can. That *****. "No heart John", but has good insurance!!

That's a real good f***ing attitude. Perhaps you should post something constructive instead of this crap. How do you now the folks that hit him were not trying to avoid hitting something else? Accidents do happen and I believe in fair restitution but..... "Suing the B#st#rds for all you can" unfortunately will not make everything all right.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a real good f***ing attitude. Perhaps you should post something constructive instead of this crap. How do you now the folks that hit him were not trying to avoid hitting something else? Accidents do happen and I believe in fair restitution but..... "Suing the B#st#rds for all you can" unfortunately will not make everything all right.

Yeah, that's bullsh!t. Accident happen due to inattention. They fcked up, period. I feel bad that they have problems, but now they have affected someone elses life because they didn't pay attention to what they were doing. :mad: :mad:

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah, that's bullsh!t. Accident happen due to inattention. They fcked up, period. I feel bad that they have problems, but now they have affected someone elses life because they didn't pay attention to what they were doing. :mad: :mad:

Hey, I'm not saying those other people are not at fault nor am I saying they shouldn't pay for damages but... the attitude of trying to get every last cent out of the party at fault only makes the lawyers happy. Ah yes... I do hate trial lawyers. ;)

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car will never be the same. I'd take the insurance money and sell what's left for a racecar. A salvage title will give the car a bad vibe forever (maybe that's good in this case). Maybe you can come away with $50K or so. Good luck.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
opnwide's suggestion is one to seriously consider if they don't total it and this is an option for you.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the most important thing here is that Bill did not get hurt. I'm sorry about your car man but it's much easier to rebuild or replace a car than someone's life. Best of luck in trying to get this resolved. I would seek damages in this case also but only enough to cover my losses nothing more. I would get them to compensate you for the car's down time while it is being repaired along with obviously the costs of repair.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car will never be the same. I'd take the insurance money and sell what's left for a racecar. A salvage title will give the car a bad vibe forever (maybe that's good in this case). Maybe you can come away with $50K or so. Good luck.

Very good point.

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me in Miami a few years ago. Got rearended while stopped at a light. Lady was talking to her boyfrined and hit me at 40 MPH. She had hit somebody 2 weeks earlier while her license was suspended but sahe was stil on the road. When she hit me her insurer had just cancelled her.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad your OK! We all love our Vipers, But, I would take it to your Dodge dealer and ask them to "total the car" by estimating every little nut and bolt. Then find a good replacement.
Sad but true. It won't be the same.
Maybe you can then buy it back for a track car.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me in Miami a few years ago. Got rearended while stopped at a light. Lady was talking to her boyfrined and hit me at 40 MPH. She had hit somebody 2 weeks earlier while her license was suspended but sahe was stil on the road. When she hit me her insurer had just cancelled her.

She should be in jail and yes I would have sued her. ;)

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to guess they will total it. I am betting on some damage to the frame. You would probably be better off, get the cash and get a staight car.

If they part the car let us know....

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I think a little Zaino could clean this up. So including shipping we're talking maybe $40 bucks ?

Just kidding, your a live, and apparently not in the hospitol (where you would have to see people like "ERDOC"), so it looks like maybe you have a lot more to be thank full about then pissed about. The car can be replaced, lives cant be. Look on the positive side, SOMEONE was watching out for you, if you walked away clean from a 50mph impact to your car. I'm sure the car is going to get totalled, and therefore you will be free of it (unless you buy it back). But admitedly I would be quite miffed at someone for making ME have to pay for their mistake with MY insurance policy. The down side is your rates are going to go up, becasue they did have to pay out under YOUR policy. That really *****, feel bad for you. But its the down side of owning a car, that most people dont, or cant. We have to pay to protect ourselves.

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi