WRECKED MY VIPER! HIT AND RUN! GRR!

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I am now calm, now i'm worrying. I hit that wall HARD and pretty fast... I think it's got more damage than what I saw on the outside. On the short drive home, it wouldn't stay strait and was thumping like mad.

Can anyone recomend a viper tech in SC???

James

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That really *****!!! Oh, well - are you still thinking about selling it?? Maybe things will work out better this way?!
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was, but this REALLY screws up my wedding plans... we have "just maried" decals made and stuff for the car... it's what we were driving away in
frown.gif

I'm more upset than I realized.. I think it's starting to hit me. I'm lucky... no top or windows, getting loose on the highway are most of the time unrecoverable.

James

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear your accident, but that you're ok and the other guy got the tag and witnessed the accident.
call Bill Pemberton - 800-889-1893. He can advise on
insurance deals and repairs, etc.
Also call JonB at PartsRack 360-837-3937.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to bill, got some good advice.

Thanks everyone, hopefuly this won't be too painful... but it already is
frown.gif

James

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx.....sooooooooooooo sorry to hear about you and your sweeet 96!!! As many folks have said, the important thing is you are OK...And you got the tag from the ***** in the SUV...

that said, do you have a local viper tech? They should be willing to put her on the lift and pass a trained eye over it for free. Maybe even recommend a body shop experienced with Vipers just to assess any possible tweeks to the frame.

Any significant damage to the hood? We all know how much they cost...

Good luck! If you were closer, I would let you use my sweeeeet 96 for your wedding
smile.gif

Tomer

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a viper tech lined up for tomorrow. I'm leaving work to inspect the car for myself and document everything with pictures.

James

S

SUN RA KAT

Glad to hear that you are physically OK. I know mentally you are not at this point (and with good reason).

When they catch the SUV-driving low-life that caused the wreck (it wasn't an accident), you will probably "GRR!" again because your state's laws don't include the death penalty for what this sub-human has done to you.

Do not spare any time nor expense in taking care of James. Massages, therapy (mental & physical), rental car equal to your Viper while your car is being repaired, Viper rental car for your honeymoon (hey you can copy your posts before this happened to prove that is what you were going to take on your honeymoon), AND SEE A GOOD LAWYER!

Your state's laws will probably give him a big fine and take away his driver's license, which will hurt him financially but not stop him from driving without a license. A major lawsuit will ruin his credit and raise his insurance rates sky high. It would be prudent to check to see what your state does as far as driving without insurance and write letters to your state representatives to get stronger laws (I did & got Ohio's uninsured motorist laws changed after a hit & run driver hit me).

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MM,

Was this SUV a ****** or something that obviously had insurance, and perhaps the driver ran due to their driver record, too many cocktails at lunch, looked alot like OJ Simpson, etc...just curious...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom Sessions at D&E Dodge in Wilmington can look at it for you. We also have a club member here in Raleigh that has a 96 RT white/blue that he rebuilt from a wreck (it's now his SCCA T1 track car), also has a 97 GTS and a 98(?) Ex-Speedvision Viper. He also happens to own a body shop that specializes in repair of high end vehicles. Email me for his name / number. He's the one I would have work on my car if it needed it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had about the same thing happen about three weeks ago to my 96 Corvette. Guy in a pickup changed lanes into me at a merge point, scuffed up the right front quarter, scratched up the wheel, and he just kept on going. He acted like he didn't know he had hit me. My car wasn't disabled so I stayed behind him for about two miles and got his tag. I decided that it probably wasn't smart to follow the guy to wherever he wanted to go and confront him, I'm not a young guy and I couldn't figure out exactly how big he was. I didn't have my phone with me and so I pulled into a parking lot with a pay phone, he kept on going. I had the cops on the phone when he came back and started yelling at me, turned out he was about my age and size so I wasn't bothered by his antics. It took only a few seconds for him to realize who I was talking to on the phone and he calmed down. The cops came, said he was responsible, gave me his insurance info. Cops said it was minor, no injury and didn't give him a ticket! I called his, State Farm, insurance agent and in a day they told me some places that I could take the car to get it fixed. I could have picked anyone but if I picked one of their's it was easier. I got the minor damage to the car fixed, got a new wheel, car looks great. I could have had a rental but I turned it down. The invoice said $1750 including $488 for a new wheel. I paid nothing.
Maxx, I hope yours works out as well.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****!! Glad to hear you're okay thus far, but make sure you get yourself checked out, and let me know if you need a legal reference (won't be me, but I can get some referrals for you if need be). Like Janni said, talk to Tom Sessions at D&E in Wilmington.

BTW, when's the wedding planned and what were the "drive away" plans?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Max
Just finished dealing with insurance on a similar situation. Feel free to contact me if I can help. Also just posting my experiences with Defratus Detail Check it out.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MM:

I actually yelled out "NO" when I saw your post! SOB!!! What a shame. Looks like you've got all the right advice. You may want to speak with a "liability/personal injury" attorney concerning this. There may be more in it then you're aware...and anything that will make the Montero owner's life that much more miserable
devil.gif
Everyone makes mistakes...but to leave the scene
pissed.gif

Really sorry to read of your misfortune!

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the help/advice folks! It's going to go o McKinny dodge here in SC, they are a pretty good tech place from what i'm told.

From what i've seen thus far... these will need to be replaced (may have to fight it)

Front right wheel
Front left wheel
Rear left wheel
Front right ire
Front left tire
Rear left tire
left side sill (dented, bent and scraped)

The following are damage and may been to be replaced (can they be fixed?)

Front facia -- large scraps and bending/gouges around the top where it meets the hood. Large chunks of paint missing

Door leading edge on the bottom -- the "mesh" is showing on the corner

Hood - corner has damage down to the mat (it's mushy) and a rock gouge with small "spider cracks" around it (also kinda mushy). Paint damage all around the wheel lips on both side, and more on the drivers side.

Thoughts?

MM

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
madmaxx,
The following are damage and may been to be replaced (can they be fixed?)

Screw that you want and need all new!!!!
why should you have bondo?? if i were you i would fight like no other fight you have ever had.
demand ! do not ask for ALL new parts.
this criminal hit and ran!!!
your the innocent victim and now he has to pay up!!
the bastage!
sorry, I am getting upset about what happen to you!!!
pissed.gif

good luck
keep me posted
JIM

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to push for all new components.

The marker light will also need replacing, the headlight as well.

James

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's hard to get good pics on the white car.. white inherently hides body damage. But if you run your hand across the areas, you can feel the clear is completely gone in most place, some down to bare resin.

Not any one major damage place, just lots of small areas.

Would they have to paint the whole car if the sil, hood, facia and door was replaced?

MM

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm real sorry to hear the bad news, I'd be furious. The main thing is that your alright. Hopefully everything will work out in your favor.

Good Luck

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:
I am going to push for all new components.

The marker light will also need replacing, the headlight as well.

James

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of the parts on a Viper have to be replaced. Repairing is just not acceptable. It is hard seeing your car like this, but take your time do some research and take it to a reputable shop and they will do the pushing for you. Experience matters with these cars. Some panels one has only one shot at replacing it correctly or it will not fit properly. Be patient.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonoovabitch!

Comming back to work on the highway, i'm in the left lane. Black SUV cuts me off (i'm half way to his drivers door by this point). As he starts to come over, I nail the brakes and hold on. He hits my nose a bit with his bumper, sending me into the concrete divider rails. I slide against them for ~30feet untill I can whip the car to the right, avoid 2 water-filled constructions barrels and get stopped!

The SUV RAN.. HE RAN! Floored it and took off. No one stoped to help me.

Police came, filled out my statement. Car has bad wheel damage up front, pretty bad in the back, scraped on the sills, and flat spots on all of the tires (lockup). Minor chips on the hood where the bumper caught me.

As I was headed home, a guy in a Catapiler truck flagged me down. He had seen it all, and chased the SUV down! Said the guy was doing 90mph running. He got me a tag! YES!!!!!!!! We called the police again and he gave a statement.

He is a harley ridder, and he said he gets cut off all the time. He knew the guy ran, and said it was 100% his fault (whihc it was).

I am so pissed! BUT.. I'm am SOOOOOOoooo glad we got a plate number!

I'm ok... frazzled and full of adrenaline. It's a good thing I can drive... because that was a hellova recovery!

You know what really *****? this was the first time i've driven the car to work in a month
frown.gif
Ugggg

James

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">James;

I witnessed a similar situation, chased the perp, got the plate number and continued to the airport to catch my flight. Called the State Police with the details, but based on the lack of interest expressed on the call figured nothing would come of it. 6 months later an investigator called to review the details and confirmed the perp was being charged.

Glad to see you were as fortunate.....</FONT f>

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMaxx:

As I was headed home, a guy in a Catapiler truck flagged me down. He had seen it all, and chased the SUV down! Said the guy was doing 90mph running. He got me a tag! YES!!!!!!!! We called the police again and he gave a statement.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank God for people like this.
patriotx.gif
At least there are a few decent people who will take time to help someone in need. I am glad you were not hurt.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Ask this Harley rider to bring his friends and fix the guys car and house and maybe his body parts.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any tips on how to deal with the apraisal people?

After playing the accident over in my mind several times, I think his quarter/bumper and wheel hit me. Wheel to wheel, bumper enough to chip paint.

What could have been damaged by an impact at that speed?

James