***WRECKED VIPER---ADVICE PLEASE (Pics)***

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You got a dealers lic? I am bidding on this car in Boston also thur copart. So your the bastage bidding the prices up.

Haha. Yes I do, but it's not me bidding on that one! I wonder how many other VCA members are Bidders of Copart? We should get together and form our own little "good old boys network", like they used to have in the 'old 'days' to keep us from bidding against each other! Pretty pointless now with global internet bidding however...

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a FYI - the car has a salvage title, it is not clear. The motor is in good shape. The Oil coler or the oil cooler line is busted, that is where the oil came from.

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a FYI - the car has a salvage title, it is not clear. The motor is in good shape. The Oil coler or the oil cooler line is busted, that is where the oil came from.

Thanks for the update Chip.

-SALVAGED TITLE
-NO ENGINE DAMAGE, LEAKING OIL LINE TO COOLER

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the same kid who was previously trying to sell his salvaged Viper on Corvette Forum?

If so, the car was a $low-30's car when it was whole and running. There were lots of problems from the previous salvage repair. Now, probably worth around $10K for parts. I'd definitely have a "buyer beware" on this one. Worth inspecting thoroughly in person first.

VIPERnXr4ti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid kid should have learned how to drive before destroying a perfectly beautiful automobile...and IMO he deserves every lost penny and more for driving it around with no insurance!...could have hit and killed someone else!...i have ZERO pitty for this fool!..even Mr. T agrees
You must be registered for see images

Anthony

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the same kid who was previously trying to sell his salvaged Viper on Corvette Forum?

If so, the car was a $low-30's car when it was whole and running. There were lots of problems from the previous salvage repair. Now, probably worth around $10K for parts. I'd definitely have a "buyer beware" on this one. Worth inspecting thoroughly in person first.

Don't know about this car's history other then it does have a salvage title (not from this crash). Definately a "buyer beware" on any salvaged vehicle.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should tell Bonkers to note the VIN in the picture and add it to his record keeping. This car could very well be rebuilt without a salvage title and sold to someone as if it was just another Viper.

I would think that an insurance company declaration of "total" would be needed for a car to be given a salvage title. Even though the Dept of Motor Vehicles in the state might know the car has been in a wreck, I don't think they would have any way of deciding that the car was salvage.

And in this case, the car was not registered in the state where it was wrecked.

Joe, you read my mind! I was thinking the same thought as you were!

Nize!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Double salvage.
How many times can you bend a paper clip before it breaks?

I would stay clear of this one for sure.

The whole story sound's crazy anyway.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a 96 GTS running around up here in Portland that has been totaled 3 times! Everytime it has been put back together.

A clean viper is becoming harder and harder to find.

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, since we know the car has a salvage title. We know it has front suspension and frame damage. There is significant damage to the hood, front facia and side sills. How much would we be looking at to fix the car up to be a track car. Keep in mind it doesn't have to look pristine. It just needs to be safe and track well.

I would think that the best scenario is that it's purchased by someone who is in the body repair business or has connections in that business. Lets say the purchase price is 12K-15K. The hood can probably be repaired. Replace the other body panels with after market parts. The radiator/oil cooler would be replaced with aftermarket anyway if it were for the track. Remove A/C and all components. Gut the interior and install roll cage. No need for airbags. Wheels and tires will be replaced for the track. Straighten the front frame and replace suspension components.

We know that the expense to do all this including labor would be cost prohibative for the ordinary guy off the street. How much would it cost if it was done by a shopowner that has the facility and spare parts or access to parts? I don't believe this car is in the condition that would put it in the category of "Organ Donor." I do think it would great deal for a track car for a person with the right connections.

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I am stepping back from it, but it might be a good deal for someone.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I am stepping back from it, but it might be a good deal for someone.

hell ill add it to my collection, thats an easy fix. the owner has my #.

BIGBADCJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stupid kid should have learned how to drive before destroying a perfectly beautiful automobile...and IMO he deserves every lost penny and more for driving it around with no insurance!...could have hit and killed someone else!...i have ZERO pitty for this fool!

Anthony

i think you need go live with my mom

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving and wrecking an already salvaged and fixed Viper and having no insurance because it costs $1200 a month?

Doesn't anyone else smell something?

How do we know that this Viper was ever fixed?

How do we know that it isn't being sold as salvage from the first wreck?

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving and wrecking an already salvaged and fixed Viper and having no insurance because it costs $1200 a month?

Doesn't anyone else smell something?

How do we know that this Viper was ever fixed?

How do we know that it isn't being sold as salvage from the first wreck?

:D :D :D Joe, you crack me up... :D :D :D

You come up with some very interesting comments. I never would have even thought of that. In this case, the crash did happen. Independent witnesses observed it and called it in to 911. There's a police report on file. The damage to the car is consistent with the story that the owner related to me. Trust me on this one. There's no conspiracy here, just a young owner of a high power sports car trying to recover some funds after making a couple of very costly mistakes.

I make no representations beyond what I know and what I've been told. He wants to sell it and get it off his hands. Anybody interested, make him a reasonable offer, you might be surprised.

As always Joe, thanks for thought provoking comments and the bump! :2tu:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the pictures, this would be a $35,000+ repair job. It would be more profitable to part the car out.

I am sure someone will find used parts and bring it back to life.

My concern is the frame. You can not straighten a Viper frame. Think about bending a piece of tubular steel. Now straighten it. Sure it’s straight but what about that huge collapsed point? (someone selling on ebay might just fill it with bondo) Now bend it again… it was easier the second time.

A Viper frame is $8500. But there is not need to buy the entire assembly. That is the nice thing about tube cars. You can section the frame and weld in new. If done right, it will be good as new. Race cars do it all the time.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the roof cracked over the driver's door?

That thing is hit hard, I'd be leery of running it on the track?

Has anyone put it on a frame machine to measure how far out the frame is?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing a damaged car. The front frame had to be replaced. THIN tube steel up front, thicker in the rear. Measuring points must be within 3MM and all suspension points must be within 1MM. I am building this car for myself, not to sell. I love the challenge of repairing/restoring cars.(MOPAR only). I am 100% more confident of my car now, than before the wreck. No, I am not crazy....you should see the welds holding your dream car together! ! ! WOW! (sorry about that DODGE). The fact is that I purchased the front clip for $2500 from a car that was hit in the rear, and spent $1500 to get it right on the frame machine. I now have a total frame that is at as close to zero MM tolerance as possible with the exception of the front bumper mount(factory misweld).....
The bottom line is that it could be fixed. There are a ton of used parts available for a PATIENT person. And if you are willing to take the time, can end up with a better than factory fit and finish.
Mine was about $16 wrecked and is near complete for $32 with my labor and my paint/body. This includes some upgrades.Also my motor was hurt (8 bent valves)(ripped off intake)
Question is are you patient?
The expense soars when you buy the parts from the dealer!

OP
OP
VPRVENM97

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the roof cracked over the driver's door?

That thing is hit hard, I'd be leery of running it on the track?

Has anyone put it on a frame machine to measure how far out the frame is?

Yep, the roof over the driver's door is cracked. It has not been on a frame machine nor has it been inspected from below.

That was my suggestion to the owner. He doesn't want to bother with selling it a part at a time. He just wants it off his hands.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4