Wrestling with wiper woes

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon my Elmer Fudd mood. My Viper came out of hibernation (partially) today. I cycled the wipers today and their normal spastic dance failed in that the right side wiper ran slow and ended up spearing the left hand wiper.

I tried this several times but always the same result. The right hand wiper is running slow. As far as I know it is the only part of the car still in hibernation.

I can't recall the last time 'I' drove the car (October?) but the seat was all the way forward... the wifeoid claims all was well the last time she drove it.

Anyway, I didn't have time to bust out the books tonight... anybody have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,
Craig

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume that the Wiper motor in the Viper is no different than that of many other vehicles in that it is an electric motor with a geared wheel attached to the wiper arm. In any case, that motor can become sluggish, and worn out after extended use. I notice you live in OR, do you drive the car in the rain much? If this is the case, I would just replace the passenger side motor, and that should fix it. Before taking that route though, a simple check is just to make sure that nothing foreign is inhibiting the wiper arm physically. Hope this helps and you fix your Vipers Wipers.

Nick

drgil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,Check for movement in the slow arm with the motor switch off.If you can move it some back and forth by hand it could be a stripped arm.You would have to remove the head cover and retaining nut to check for debris in the serrations.-John G.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the whole system is backasswards. If it looks like the right one is messed up, then replace the left hand motor. It's a very odd system. If I talk to Tom Sessions today, I'll ask him, but it's a goofy one.

Not particularly hard to get to the motor or remove / change it though.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The slow arm is the working motor, the fast arm is the broken motor. These motors are equipped with sensors to sense the position of the other blade and thusly avoid collision.

These motors are around $400 each from Dodge, there is also a module on the passenger side near the firewall under the carpet (wiper controller).

You have two areas to be concerned with:
1. The actual wiper motor
2. The module that controls the wipers

However it seems the most common cause is the wiper motor itself.

I used my service manual schematics and digital multi-meter to find and fix my problem.

Good Luck

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon my Elmer Fudd mood. My Viper came out of hibernation (partially) today. I cycled the wipers today and their normal spastic dance failed in that the right side wiper ran slow and ended up spearing the left hand wiper.

I tried this several times but always the same result. The right hand wiper is running slow. As far as I know it is the only part of the car still in hibernation.

I can't recall the last time 'I' drove the car (October?) but the seat was all the way forward... the wifeoid claims all was well the last time she drove it.

Anyway, I didn't have time to bust out the books tonight... anybody have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,
Craig

"normal spastic dance" I've always looked for the correct phrase to describe the Viper's wipers and you have supplied it. Thanks :usa:

Paul Scharf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you end up needing to replace the wiper motor or module, I can help you with a used one. Call if interested
Paul Scharf
800 338 4002

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's almost embarrasing to turn those spastic wipers on... They cycle worse that an old set of vacuum operated wipers from the 50's...

OP
OP
C

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the ideas! I need to get some garage time to investigate the info you have passed on.

I don't drive the car in the rain much (unless I get caught out somewhere; doesn't happen often). The poor old beastie has been sitting neglected in the garage since October I think. I can't remember the last time it escaped.

Yup, the wipers are a scream on the Viper. They take a second place to the air powered wipers on my MCI motorhome (which does see the rain). I like to twiddle the knobs to set up a Bossa Nova while tooling down the road. This of course drives the wife nuts which endears me all the more to the idea. Somehow she always pays me back. :)

Anyway, thanks again for the pointers; I'll give a look as soon as I can.

Craig