Yay! Putting on my Roe Hi-Flow Cats!!! :)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Non, non, au contraire mon ami!

I am not dissing any other brand, this was a comparison of Roe's metal sub-strate to their fiberglass honeycomb cat.

No comparison made or meant to RTech or Belanger...or any other for that matter.

Sorry if I wasn't clear!:(

Cats with a fiberglass substrate? You are joking right? If not, who makes them? I'd love to see the specs.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what it sounds like now, with Fitzgerald Performance muffler delete pipes - consists of two small bullet resonators. ....

You can hear the light rattling at idle of the inside of the resonators...common after awhile. Chuck says that the Roe hi-flows should probably drown out most of that!:D

I hear that same rattling on mine, but I don't HAVE resonators! Belangers, RT HF cats and stock behind the cats. Any other input on what that sound is?:confused:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I wan't clear, oops!:omg:

I know the hi-flow cats come in metallic and CERAMIC substrate...I might have just written that incorrectly.:nono:

What I was talking about (or complaining about), is the sound deadening material used in the bullet resonators, which I thought was fiberglass...as in the "old days" of "glass pack" mufflers.:eater:

What it sounds like when standing in back of the RT, is at idle, some of the "fiberglass" is loose and shaking inside producing an (annoying) noise:mad: in addition to the nice low tone of the Fitzgerald muffler delete.

Hope that clears up and miscommumication.....:headbang:

Mike...not sure what the sound is then, I just assumed it had something to do with the resonators.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:So, two things then....the noise only started when the muffler delete with resonators were put on. Is it possible that the 8" (or so) resonators welded near the end of each pipe actually have metallic substrate (or whatever it is that's in there)?

If that is the case, is there anything that can be done short of replacing the resonators?

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any resonator whether metallic or non metallic will at least have a support structure in there made of metal. It could rattle if a spot weld was broken or if it has a rolled bead to lock in a particular spot or whatever and it was distorted by a clamp or weld heat. Did they do any welding on your install or is it all clamped? Have you checked all your hanger rubbers and hanger to pipe welds?

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, my car had stock exhaust which I did not like, and Chuck had a take-off piece - the Fitzgerald Performance muffler delete pipe, which came with a bullet resonator near the end of each pipe and a chrome tip. Clearly, it wasn't new, but i couldn't pass it up.

As you say, something (weld or a bead) is loose and may be causing it. After the hi-flows go in, I'll decide whether this can still be heard. If so, might opt to change the pipe at some point.:eater:

Thanks for the comments!:2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...... Is it possible that the 8" (or so) resonators welded near the end of each pipe actually have metallic substrate (or whatever it is that's in there)?

some (all :dunno: ) magnaflow's straight thru mufflers have stainless mesh instead of fiberglass, so it is possible your fitz's do too.

also, the way i understand it, resonators usually don't use baffling

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, not sure why...but it didn't do it before the muffler delete pipe, so it has something to do with the pipe. No biggie, I'll wait until the hi-flows are on and see how it is.:eater:

Thanks all...oh, and another (almost) one foot of snow last night! Sure getting lots of use out of the snow blower!:crazy2:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, now they're forecasting snow for tomorrow and Saturday!!!

YAY, F'n YAY!!!:curse:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife found out I bought a viper when she open the mail and saw our updated insurance card that included the viper :)

Sounds so familiar...as I did the same but wife realized i had purchased a viper after the car cover blew off it one day (parked across the street from my house).

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used to do work in both cities (near the Galleria Mall in Dallas)....like them both (political, huh), certainly the warm temps is an advantage when you want to drive your Viper....all I can do is start it, move it back 3" and then move it back up to turn off! :(

Sooner or later the snow will go away (probably later at this rate) and I'll get the hi-flows on.:D