yellow gen. 2's

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yellow gen. 2\'s

We have a yellow gen. 2 in our shop that needs some touch up to the paint. (chips, etc.) I've seen this car at several club meetings and always thought that the gen.2 yellow was "redder" that the gen. 1 yellow. Never gave it much thought. Now that we're working on this gen.2, we've noticed the color is not an exact match. (looks like gen. 1) Upon further investigation we've found this car has been repainted before. When we sand down the surface, you can see the levels of color. Inside the sills you can see a lighter yellow that matches the paint we bought for the car, looks like gen. 1 color.
I always assumed the gen.2 color was "more orange" in color shade, is this not true???

Thanks,
Mitch :curse:

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: yellow gen. 2\'s

"I always assumed the gen.2 color was "more orange" in color shade, is this not true???"

That is correct. The Gen 2 yellow has a much deeper orange-tone than the Gen 1 (which is why I bought one).
:cool:

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey Mitch - yep, they are different

Gen 1 is 'dandelion yellow'
Gen 2 is 'race yellow'

the Gen 1 color is more of a pale yellow & doesnt have any orange to it like the Gen 2

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To make things even more complicated, let me add this tidbit.

I just finished a hardtop for a yellow 2002 gen 2 (I'm in Michigan, customer is in California). Upon setting it on our Yellow 2001 I noticed tha color was WAY off. I looked very light and green like the gen 1 yellow.

Long story short, after much investigation, it turns out the 2001 and 2002 cars are THREE different shades of yellow. Finishmaster has the stardard mix and the "field tint" and there is one in between. In order to get the color to match perfect, the paint must be tinted to that individual car.

Jeff

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score

That's odd. I just got my front fascia painted and the paint shop ordered the factory race yellow and they said it matched perfectly. They only painted the bottom half of the fascia, so it had to be bang-on.

Santo

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have a yellow gen. 2 in our shop that needs some touch up to the paint. (chips, etc.) I've seen this car at several club meetings and always thought that the gen.2 yellow was "redder" that the gen. 1 yellow. Never gave it much thought. Now that we're working on this gen.2, we've noticed the color is not an exact match. (looks like gen. 1) Upon further investigation we've found this car has been repainted before. When we sand down the surface, you can see the levels of color. Inside the sills you can see a lighter yellow that matches the paint we bought for the car, looks like gen. 1 color.
I always assumed the gen.2 color was "more orange" in color shade, is this not true???

Thanks,

Pick whatever yellow suits you, paint it, deliver to Ray in the dark. He'll never know. :eek:

Of course there are two yellows you &$#@&%^@#*$#*!?%#. How many times have you seen a Gen 1 and 2 side by side. Totally different yellow. :eek:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey Mitch - yep, they are different

Gen 1 is 'dandelion yellow'
Gen 2 is 'race yellow'

the Gen 1 color is more of a pale yellow & doesnt have any orange to it like the Gen 2

Gen II is certainly brighter, Gen I is almost "pastel".

OP
OP
SNKEBIT

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

Pick whatever yellow suits you, paint it, deliver to Ray in the dark. He'll never know. :eek:

Of course there are two yellows you &$#@&%^@#*$#*!?%#. How many times have you seen a Gen 1 and 2 side by side. Totally different yellow. :eek:

I HAVE AN INTERNET STALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :nono: :curse:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am familiar with the green shade you mention in the yellow. From a few painters I have spoken to, it is the Sikkens that does that. The PPG is suppose to match better.

I was also told this color is sensative to temperature and to air pressure when applying.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I HAVE AN INTERNET STALKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :nono: :curse:

Poor Robotic....................a two tone yellow Viper. :eek:

Did you get the blower on her yet?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

Can you let me know how you get on and what pain you used please Mitch :2tu: ..
Mines is going in for nose and sills soon..Dont want no green paint :shocked:

OP
OP
SNKEBIT

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can you let me know how you get on and what pain you used please Mitch :2tu: ..
Mines is going in for nose and sills soon..Dont want no green paint :shocked:

Baz,
We are having the co. we buy our paint from come out today w/ a funky camera :nana: that looks at the paint and tells you the correct formula. Have had real good luck with this process. The paint is PPG.
I will let ya know what we find out.
Mitch :2tu: