yellowing side sills.. covered under warranty?

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone succesfully had their yellowing sidesills repainted under the daimler chrysler warranty?

- eddie -

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was able to have my side sills repainted under warranty. If your car is under factory warranty, from what I understand it can't be the extended warranty. Your zone rep has to inspect it and then they will repaint.

Only problem is that your side sills will turn yellow again if they are not properly insulated.

This is what was done on my 1998 Viper:

Side Sills were repainted, but also stripped to the bare metal first. Cost was about $800.00 that was covered. My side sills were sent out to a place that does high end cars. The service manager didn't want their in house body shop to do it.

I also had the inside heat deflectors replaced with new ones and the rock tabs on the front of the sills.

As a precautionary measure, I took header wrap and cut it into strips and glued them to the inside of the sill by the cats. DO NOT wrap your cats. This seemed to work well and no color turn yet. I was told by the body shop that the VT paint would help a little, but not much.

My whole experience in this warranty work seemed to be subjective to your service manager and also the zone rep. I may be wrong on this, but it almost seemed like it was dependant on what mood they were in. If you need the zone rep to contact my rep, e-mail me. Bill Pemberton was a big help in getting my side sills done because of his knowledge of how to approach this.

good luck!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brought mine over to Chuck Tator....took care of everything. He doesn't now it yet, but i'm going to speak to him about the other side now.

Honestly, I think Dodge should be installing hi flow cats as a recall to solve this problem.

But who am I to diagnose?

Andrew

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had yellowing on driver's side side sill of my 96 White RT/10. As soon as my dealer saw it, he ordered replacements for both sides. By replacing instead of repainting, I got rid of the rivets Dodge used as they had a tendancy to rust. This was done under original factory warranty. I don't think it could have been done under the extended warranty.

OP
OP
E

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting... this car in particular is a stock silver 99 gts with 10k.. the sidesills showed very obvious yellowing...

it has the Daimler Chrysler Maximum Care 7-year/50,000 which is good till jan 2006.. my guess is that it was purchased in jan 99.. that means its over 3 years old and more than likely out of factory warranty.. is this correct?

this car is a potential purchase for a board member so if the sills are not covered, then the price for repaint needs to be factored into the purchase price..

unfortunately we dont have a bill p or chuck tator here in socal, so getting this covered may be an uphill battle, especially if its out of factory warranty..

- eddie -

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Eddie. The owner of the Silver GTS called me today and informed me that it was purchased after we went to see the car yesterday. Go figure. That's twice in the last month that this has happened. If any board member wants their Viper sold, just have me go and look at it and someone else will go and buy it after I leave. Oh well. My search continues. I need to find a non-red GTS in Calif. soon!
Jonathan