Yep...it's another friggin wax question!

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep...it\'s another friggin wax question!

First...I use Zaino-I love it and am not going to change (flame suit on)

I have probably 137 coats of Zaino on her now (ok-maybe only 133 but ya get the idea). Bugs don't even stick they just slide off.

It's been 2 years since I started using it. I clayed the entire car then started applying coat after coat until I could count my nose hairs at 10 paces in the reflection.

My question is....is it worth the time and effort to strip all the old Zaino off, re-clay the entire car and then reapply more Zaino or will all I accomplish is getting a 'wax on/wax off' elbow?

Thanks

Bill

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Yep...it\'s another friggin wax question!

Why are you considering re-claying the car?

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I heard using clay won't remove the zaino....I could have sworn I read that somewhere...

OP
OP
W

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm Bored? I'm Stupid?

Thats what I'm not sure of. I don't think it needs it but didn't know if I've just gotten used to the way it looks and don't realize it could look better.

I was hoping someone else had re-clayed their car and could say "yes it looks better" or "no it was a total was of time"

B

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score

1st of all claying is not going to add any additional shine whatsoever. Claying the finish, removes all the airborne contaminates that regular washing cannot. It (polyclay) actually "pulls off" these contaminates. You can tell you need to clay again by:

1. After washing, feel the surface by hand(with lubrication) and if you can still feel a gritty area or feel "something" you need to clay.

2. You can wrap your hand in a plastic bag and gently rub the surface and it will enhance your ability to feel the surface contaminants.

3. If the surface is absolutely completely smooth. Then your surface does not require re-claying.

4. Typically the horizontal surfaces of your car will need to be re-clayed more often than the vertical surfaces.

5. Your car care practices will usually dictate how often you will need to clay. For instance, my cars are always covered by a car cover when I'm not in them. Therefore I only need to clay once per year.
:usa:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

wont take more than a handfull of washes to rid the car of zaino anyways...lol

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with the plastic bag comment. Thats the technique I use to determine whether a surface needs to be clayed or not.

Also agree with the vertical vs. horizontal. I notice that waxing the vertical surfaces (doors) are alot easier (applicating and removing wax).

I'm guessing that less air born contaminants "settle down" on vertical surfaces.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No need to remove Zaino. Just clay and then resume Zainoing. May also want to look into the Magic Cube from www.dftowel.com as an alternative to claying. I have one on the way and will let you know how it works after I try it.

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Zaino can only be removed by an alcohol base solution. Degreasers won't even remove it. This is what Sal Zaino told me years ago so take it for what it's worth.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

all ya need to use is dawn dish soap he said on his site i thought.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you have a great finish on your car already and don't think it is accumulating airborne contaminants there probably is no need to clay. And no need to strip Zaino with an alcohol base solution. I would only start stripping and claying if car is outdoors all the time and is a daily driver. IMO just wash the car with decent carwash brand soap and apply Zaino Polish on the car the way you normally do. Let polish set up and dry for a few hours before you take it off. Leaving it on for a while will allow it to cure to the clearcoat more effectively. When you take it off with a microcloth you may notice a slight better gloss. Zaino is a great product and you may be getting use to the car's awesome finish and obsess over a different method or application of making it even better. If you think the car has a great finish then keep doing what you normally do (if it isn't broke don't fix it).

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm Bored? I'm Stupid?

Thats what I'm not sure of. I don't think it needs it but didn't know if I've just gotten used to the way it looks and don't realize it could look better.

I was hoping someone else had re-clayed their car and could say "yes it looks better" or "no it was a total was of time"

B

Bill, I reclayed ( washed with Dawn first, clay bar, then wax) my car here during the winter months. I definitely noticed a smoother finish, but not an improvement in the shine.

N2 Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you repeatedly use the clay bar doesn't it eventually remove the clear coat?

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you repeatedly use the clay bar doesn't it eventually remove the clear coat?
Ugh, no. If your clay bar is removing clearcoat, then I think it's time to get another bar. That absolutely should not happen.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I thought I had OCD dusting off my car every time i pull it back in the garage and Using the Showtime shine atleast once per week! LOL Rock on fellas. I LOVE IT.

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score

all ya need to use is dawn dish soap he said on his site i thought.

That is to strip off the old wax before applying the zaino.