YET another 08 issue

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i've had a few minor issues with my 08 .. Another one has cropped up and i'm starting to get a little frustrated...

Remember a few weeks back when a member who bought an 08 was having issues in closing the soft top down.. he said he was athletic and despite our advice on some key issues he said it was still hard to latch.....i pretty much just blew it off as the new guy who needed to stretch his top out

WELL my top has also been hard to latch and i pretty much had just blown it off to the top being new.. it does finally latch but it does take a significant amount of force and yes i do bench over 300lbs twice a week...

So i'm giving the car a clean tonight and what do i notice.. well on the very top of the passenger door right where the window ends(back part of the window next to the door latch) the paint has gone from the door ... i was like damn what now....i did a little experimenting and i noticed that the passenger is harder to close than the drivers door so i thought the soft top was pushing against the door and it is to some extent....

i did a little more experimenting and what i found is every time i go to close the soft top it is coming down right on top of the door instead of sliding just inside it like the drivers side does(and that is the key issue).... so now i tried closing the soft top with the passenger door open and what a diference it closes very easy like it should...so basically with brute force i am jamming the soft top inside the passenger door instead of it just falling into place

SO i have a functional and cosmetic problem

FUNCTIONAL
a...my soft top is very hard to latch unless i have the passenger door open(even with the windows down and boot open)
b....my passenger door is somewhat harder to close than the drivers

COSMETIC
a...the paint is wearing down to the metal on my passenger door

ALSO if the top is constantly pushing on the door is this going to cause problems with the door.....

HOW the hell is this gonna be fixed.... replace the whole top?

i hope i'm not sounding like a wus but i wasn't expecting these kind of issues
:(

Last edited:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, if I was in your position, I'd be a little pissed too, but Im sure your warranty will take care of the problems. You just have to remember, not every car comes out perfect. Unfortunately thats how it goes, but at least its something that can be fixed.

weightlifter123

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Not having seen the convertible I don't have a clue. I have a coupe. Hope you have a dealer you trust.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The top on my 03 was also hard to latch at first. Took it into the dealership and they made some adjustments and it was just perfect after that.

I also occasionally need to put some silicone on the header rubber strip. That took a flexing sound away, and the top became nice and quiet.

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife also has an 08 conv, and the top is just exactly what your discribing also ! It's a shame for that kind of money...

Pet Snake..............:(:mad::crazy2:

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiositty - it seems like from what I have been reading that the build quality on the 08s has gone down... unless I am reading about the passing problems here and there and just happen to come across only such stories... is it the case that the build quality has gone down

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wierd, I had a few adjustments on my 03 in this area as well. Chalked it up to being handmade. Interestingly, my wife's solstice GXP soft top has been been adjusted 3 times, and it's still not right, paint rubs, etc. just like yours. I know it's not the same (not 100k car), but I'm 100% screwed up in soft tops over here, but small thing to worry about for me. I look at it as 1000 pounds lighter than a mechanized one, so it might be "cheesy" but oh well.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is one of many problem posts about the 08 I keep reading. Guess we cant bash brand X anymore. Think I'll keep the Gen. 2 for awhile.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It can be fixed, and that issue will probably be only on a few cars.......my 05 Comm. Vert had no issues with the top what so ever. Did have a slight difference in the closing of the doors......5 min fix with adjustment.....probably the same on the 08.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My wife also has an 08 conv, and the top is just exactly what your discribing also ! It's a shame for that kind of money...

I just got my '08 and noticed the same problem. I also noticed that in other aspects the quality of the convertible top assembly has gone down. The fit is nowhere near as good as on my '06, and on the driver side I can clearly see three bolt heads bulging up under the canvas. The top pn my '06 was perfect in all regards...

Peter

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank the Lord for warranties!

warranties are only as good as the mechanic working on your car at that time...and the mood and the incentive provided to him at that time....find out who is working on your car and tip him well. " oh...it's covered under warranty...why should I have to pay anything???" because it is your car and your want it fixed and mechanics are WAY under paid at dealerships...sad but true/.....and he gets paid flat rate!!! HELLO!!!:eater:

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiositty - it seems like from what I have been reading that the build quality on the 08s has gone down...

SO... the manufacurer screwed up.....the customer doesn't want to pay....the dealership doesn't want to pay....so the flat rate mechanic has to re-engineer the factory engineer's and assembler's screw-up....but wait!!! he get s paid FLAT-RATE...unlike the designer or the assembler...and he gets paid 1/2 or less with no benes. :crazy2:

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a new silver 04 and the top worked perfectly from day1; I can understand and would personally be upset if I had the experiance you describe with your new '08; the Conner plant was closed for some 15 months and re-opened with a new manager and workers and I am just guessing but perhaps the new staff were not trained in properly; in any event lets hope that not all new 08 vert tops perform like the ones described here.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Not having seen the convertible I don't have a clue. I have a coupe. Hope you have a dealer you trust.

It's not a matter of which dealership you go to...or trust. The repair is only as good as the mechanic working on your car that day ...and his mood and incentive. " WHY should I tip the mechanic or get to know him??? My car is covered under warranty. " Well....because it's your baby and you want a top job done.And mechanics get paid FLAT-RATE. The faster they blow your car out...the better for them. But you're a Viper tech and I have an expensive car and WAH EAH WAh ...oh well, that's the way the system works.:dunno:

OP
OP
W

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i managed to bend the side of my top inward so it does latch easier now but it still does not function as it should... woodhouse is going to look at mine and this is the first they have heard of this kind of issue

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And I will be rooting for them to beat those POS Lickers. Kobe MVP????????=Mike Tyson-sex therapist.:lmao:

I also like how Lebron was the leagues leading scorer yet only received 1, count em 1, MVP vote. He carries the whole cavs by himself pretty much. Heck they took the Celtics who had the 6th best record in NBA history ever to game 7 final minute and he scored 50% of the cavs points!

Last edited: