yet another brake question......

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a good share of track events and street driving, and I seem to have found the brake upgrade that works for me:
Stock calipers with upgraded pads, stainless steel lines, and Stop-Tec slotted rotors. I also have air deflectors in the front to help cool down the front brakes. Total cost to me was only the rotors & air deflectors since I really don't count that I replace pads as needed.

Question is, a friend, Tony S., NJ Club, asked me why he spent 3K on his upgrade a few years ago and it "stinks". I know, I know....what does he have? Got me, but has anyone found an "expensive" set-up that they are happy with, cause mine sure didn't cost me no 3K and I'm still very confident going into a turn at Pocono @ 160 with no brake fade lap after lap.

AC

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"going into a turn at Pocono @ 160 with no brake fade lap after lap",

yeah but what distances from the turn are you hitting the brakes? 300-400ft. try doing it under 50-100ft mark at full speed, to get your best lap times and see how comfortable those brakes feel then. That is your real test, either you'll make the turn or slide of the track.

Stoptech big brake kit msrp for around $5000, replaces everything and when you hit those brakes, along with hoosiers or sport cups, your contacts will pop out of your eyes.

requires 18 inch wheels. all the viperdays and VRL preped cars use them. web page

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to reiterate my satisfaction with Tom's rear caliper upgrade after just finishing Viper Days at TMS.

I did some of the heaviest braking I have done coming off the speedway onto the road course with no problems and was even able to outbrake another guy with an SRT who was running a second faster than me overall (he was a more experienced driver). I use BM 3 pads.

I also have been very pleased with the addition of a brake fluid recirculation valve...no more brake fade. I was getting brake fade from fluid boiling before this despite Cone brake ducts and Motul fluid.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did stoptech 4 brake - i found it made my car the car i wanted. huge modulatable stopping power - very easy to control.

Frankly, if you are happy with what you've done - save the money until you can outdrive your existing brakes. ie when you basically can hit the binders as a late as a Viper will allow - you may find that that after several laps, the small pads and small caliper just cannot handle it or cannot consistently produce exactly the same stopping force. There is a reaspon why a Porshe 996 Turbo outbrakes a viper - aside from weight transfer.

Also, even Stoptech says that the front set up alone is very good - and will improve your stopping distance 144ft to 114ft (brake bias alone does it I believe) - BUT, for for track use (ie heat capacity - bigger with better cooling is better (Heat capacity and removal), the stoptech are 14" with very large (read high heat cap) calipers and very large 996 size pads (same pads front and rear), you will be impressed ONLY if you drive the car hard.

In addition, I believe I read the stoptech system is used in some touring class racing - so it is a serious track system.

Nevertheless, I know a guy with an ACR. He drives very fast at the track and is very very competent - and he goes through 1 set of rotors and pads per track day - stock OEM abs system. But my feeling is he would be aq lot faster with better brakes like Stoptech or possibly a SRT-10 brake retrofit)

Just a few thoughts - but can say Stoptech was a good investment for me.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, even Stoptech says that the front set up alone is very good - and will improve your stopping distance 144ft to 114ft (brake bias alone does it I believe) -

What Stoptech doesn't say much about is that fixing the brake bias with the front only set up is accomplished by diminishing the front caliper's capability so that the rear works harder. The really neat thing about Tom's mod is that the full front capability is retained while the rear is upgraded to give a better F/R bias. Truly an elegant solution!
:2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"What Stoptech doesn't say much about is that fixing the brake bias with the front only set up is accomplished by diminishing the front caliper's capability so that the rear works harder. The really neat thing about Tom's mod is that the full front capability is retained while the rear is upgraded to give a better F/R bias. Truly an elegant solution!"

BINGO!

And, heat dissipation can be better handled with brake cooling ducts and high temp. fluid rather than going to marginally larger rotor size (which increases swept area) as in the case of Stoptech's 4 wheel brake upgrade.

I believe even folks with the 4 wheel Stoptechs who track their car a lot use these additional cooling methods. It helps prolong rotor and pad longevity.