Your opinion.. who makes the quietest 3 in cat-back?

byron69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My current set-up (98 GTS/Stock) Belanger Headers, RT High Flo Cats, Corsa 3" Cat-Back.
I am just trying to get the Tractor sound down keeping the 3" set-up.

I don't want to loose the headers and RT Cats but can adjust at the cat-back level.

Thanks.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
byron69,
I found this explanation of the Viper V10 sound in an article some time ago, this might help explain your "Tractor" sound:

The crank pins provide firing pulses every 54 and 90 degrees rather than evenly 72 degrees apart.

A typical V8 fires every 90 degrees of rotation and some would call this an even firing engine. Every "pop" is evenly spaced from the next one. On the Viper, since the block angle is 90 degrees and we have 10 cylinders, the crank pins are spaced 72 degrees apart.

To understand why the viper sounds the way it does, (different from a V8) imagine the rotation of a single crank pin... one of the pistons hits TDC ... then exectly 90 degrees of rotation later, the other piston (on that same pin) hits TDC. On a V8 where the crank pins are 90 degrees apart, another piston will hit TDC after another 90 degrees of rotation. But on our Viper motors, since the crank pins are 72 degrees apart, between 90 degrees of the first piston and second piston hitting TDC, another piston of one of the other crank pins must hit TDC. This is why the Viper is called an uneven firing engine.

Another example is comparing the sound of a Harley Davidson with a Honda twin. The Harley, like the Viper is an uneven firing motor. The Honda is an even firing motor.

The Ford Cobra concept car uses a V10 and it sounds awesome. But the engineers have worked to get the sound just right...

"Getting a V-10 to sound right, given its naturally offset firing order, is tough; the Viper pipe-benders have struggled with it for years. The Cobra's starter sounds like a meat grinder, but once the one-off, 6.4-liter, all-aluminum, 600-horse DOHC V-10 lights up, it's magic. The big-inch exhaust note burbles like an expensive speedboat at idle, and rises to a considerable whoop as the revs come up. The closest noise analogy I can come up with is a Lamborghini Gallardo with the mid-range cranked up to 11. Or a turbine-powered industrial vacuum cleaner. The pipes exit out the rear, which probably helps balance the exhaust note, but one has to wonder: what would it sound like with sidepipes, a la Cobra 427 S/C?"

Later,

OP
OP
B

byron69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

It's just too loud I want to tone it down without putting the stock set-up back on. I was hoping somebody already tried a catback and left the headers and RT Cats alone and got it a bit more quiet.

Thanks.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno Max 6 inch mufflers, forget the part # tho. Just put a set on a SRT, not loud at all.
I have part # in shop, p.m. if ya want it. :2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 3" corsa IS quiet.That's what I started with.Too quiet.Added headers and went catless.I don't think its loud at all.Rather than ruin the cat back and get drone its the cats themselfs that reduce a lot of sound volume.I would try different cats to reduce the sound level.Check with Jon B for a quieter cat suggestion. GTS Bruce

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Byron69,

I had a problem with loudness on my B&B setup. I found two exhaust leaks where my cats connected to the collector turnouts. Fixed the leaks and this took down the noise level considerably. Check for leaks if you haven't already.

Then I ended up putting in Dynatech Vortex cones. Vortex Cones I installed these through the tips of the exhaust and set them back about 4". They took the edge off the exhaust just enough to still be loud but civil if there's such a thing. They advertise a 2-3 decibel reduction which sounds right to me. Dynatech recommends installing these by the collector but I didn't want to take my exhaust apart for that. Do a search on "Vortex" here in the forums and you will find some info on them.

- Tony

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187