Z06 no Viper

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped briefly at the local Chevy Dealer looking at a Z71 surburban, but spotted a brand new Z06 out front with only 3 miles on it. The salesman threw me the keys and off we went. It is a fun car and a value for the money, but a Viper it is not. It's got a SissyMary clutch with way too soft a feel, cheap soft seats and door panels and it runs out of grunt before you get to really wind it out. The suspension was not nearly as tight as my viper. I will admit that the V8 exhaust note was a nice treat. As a multiple former vette owner I can say they still make a fun car, but I'll be lookin' for some Z06 snacks the next time I go out for a cruise.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 is pretty comfortable and smooth. We are looking at one for a daily driver. With traction control, I could probably get away with it for 11.5 out of 12 months in Michigan.

The heads up display is way cool. Never had to take my eyes off the road.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a 2002 Z as a daily driver. It is a wonderful car. It pulls hard all the time. You must have driving a lemon or maybe it was because it was not broken in. Did you turn off the traction control? The really strong part of the powerband is actually from 3500 to 6500 rpm. That makes me wonder if that car was not running right.

Yes, I agree, It is definitely not a Viper but I feel it is a very comfortable car and is very quick. Deceivingly so since it only weighs 3100 pounds. Not many cars can match the power and torque curves of our Vipers.

If you get a chance, catch a ride in an 02 Z that is already broken in. They gain about 20 to 25 RWHP after they are broken in. Still nothing close to the Viper in Gawk appeal.

You must be registered for see images

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Z and did not see a major difference in performance, of course its hard to tell on a test ride in a Viper compared to owning a Z. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Thats why they make salt and pepper etc... I liked the softer clutch of the Z over the viper but I have a hip replacement (long story, I am only 42) on the left side and don't know if it would be as comfortable on long rides with the stiff clutch. Why is the clutch so stiff on the Viper? Is it mechanical vs hydraulic? I do plan on adding a Viper to my stable hopefully soon as I think they are the 2 best performance cars on the road. I will put my flame suit on now since I have seen how heated these Vette/Viper debates can get on this forum. I wasn't even going to reply because these threads get so ugly but was amused at the clutch comment especially since I had the complete opposite opinion. Ok guys, let me have it. I have already heard all the common car, dime a dozen, tupperware yada, yada. Lets try to come up with something new when bashing the vette. Or even better, as my mother used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all
laugh.gif
. Opinions are welcome. I would love to hear more on the clutch issue.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
I would love to hear more on the clutch issue.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My '01 clutch is much smoother in feel and takes much less force to actuate than my '96. So, there are differences even among the Vipers.

It used to be that a stiff clutch meant high performance. Not necessarily so any more.

sandy3160

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i hear the z does not tic at all. Also what would you know about really having a car perform for you when you have never gone over 70mph with that clock you call a Viper. Remember drive it like you stole it.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandy3160:
From what i hear the z does not tic at all. Also what would you know about really having a car perform for you when you have never gone over 70mph with that clock you call a Viper.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What am I missing here? What "tic"? To whom are you commenting?

confused.gif

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig, is the Viper clutch hydraulic like the Z06? The 2002 I drove had a very stiff clutch. I also didn't know the pedals were adjustable and my knees were hitting the dash when driving in a comfortable position. If the salesman would have told me that I would have probably liked the car alot more. I still loved it but the way I had to sit with my knees bumping the dash made me think the Z was alot more comfortable driving car. I also didn't like it not having a dead pedal. I always rest my left foot on the dead pedal when cruisin in the Z and thought the Viper felt awkward without it. I am sure I could/will learn to live with it. Just being able to adjust the pedals will make a world of difference.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
Craig, is the Viper clutch hydraulic like the Z06? The 2002 I drove had a very stiff clutch. I also didn't like it not having a dead pedal. I always rest my left foot on the dead pedal when cruisin in the Z and thought the Viper felt awkward without it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Viper clutch is hydraulic assisted. I have driven my friend's '00 C5 and, yes, the clutch was slightly easier to push in.

I put my left foot on the floor behind the clutch and do not miss a dead pedal.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I am sure I could/will learn to live with it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is key. While the Viper is "different", I found that I quickly adapted and forgot about what bothered me in the beginning. Now every other car seems odd.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

I'm with you 100%! But I recently found out some disturbing news from a fellow member. Our seats are 50% leather & 50% vinyl!
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

So I think the ZO6's seats have to be better than ours. I'm thinkin at this point anyones seats are better than ours!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,

Many cars have leather seats with vinyl trim and backing.

This is often an advantage because vinyl wears better than leather unless the leather is meticulously cared for. Sun, heat, and dry air or moisture can ruin leather, but vinyl holds up better.

With the mixed covering seats you get the feel and smell of leather, but the low maintenance of vinyl.

I prefer the combo, having owned full leather seats before and spending $$ to have them recovered due to cracking and wear.

It is more of an issue with the roadster than the GTS though with the extra exposure to the sun and elements of an open car.

-Dean.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I beleive that the clutch has two hydraulic cylinders on the Viper, a master on the firewall, and a slave cylinder at the clutch fork. I do not find it hard to hold in or push down on the Viper clutch at all, not like when I had a '70 Cuda 340 4 speed that needed a left leg like Arnold Schwartzenegger to push down on the clutch pedal! The hydraulically assisted clutch pedal was a great invention, and definitely needed on the car when you see the monster clutch that goes into the Viper, it is huge!
Got a friend that has a black '01 Z06, and it is an impressive car for the money, it has the guts to go along with the badge, and like a previous post mentioned, the V8 sound growls as you open it up. He's a bit sorry he got the '01 when he did, he wants the 02 with more hp now!

Todd Richmond

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend let me drive his 2002 Z06 and it drives much more like my last 97 Supra Turbo than my Viper. I actually thought my modified GTS wasn't "that" fast until I drove the Z06 - no comparison. The Vette is definitely a breeze to drive - light clutch, smoothe brakes, and cushy suspension - much easier/safer to near its limits. The seats are about as supportive as a those in my 67 427 though - they stink!

If you can only have 1 daily car, the Vette is a great buy, but if you want a true american muscle car, the Viper wins hands down.

Todd

Shakin Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of the early Z06's. Drove it everyday and put 25K on her in 13 months. It was a fun but generic. The styling is snozzorama. GM makes the vette to appeal to everyone, one size fits all type of thing. Everyone isn't me, nor is the vette for me either. One thing that bugs the heck out of me is how many C5's they make a year. 34,000 a year. Give me something that's unique, not a Generic kinda cool sportscar.

After 13 months of Vette ownership I realized a GTS was in my future, so bye bye Z06 in October 01 and hello to saving my bucks. I'm in the saving my bucks mode right now and if things progress accordingly maybe I'll grow up to be a Graphite with Silver Stripes owner come December 02.

One other thing, with the Viper unlike the Vette, I will own a daily driver. Can't put too many miles on your Snake. Of course it's another Dodge as in Neon named Pepe.

Say a Prayer to the Viper Gods for me. Later. Shake

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey, cheap leather has always been my complaint with the vettes. Do viper seats wear out in 30,000 miles? If not you may be better off with the vinyl. My vette seats have more wear in 1300 miles than my old Mercedes seats had when I sold it with 47k on it.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '01 ZO6, the '02 is stronger. Enough so that it is easily felt in the seat of the pants. I know it shouldn't be all that much different with only 20 HP but it is. Also, what Norman said about the break-in. They definitely run stronger once they get loosened up a bit. The ZO6 doesn't have the torque my Viper does so the quickness really is deceiving but these cars are consistantly turning mid to low 12's in the 1/4.

Both cars run strong and I don't think one test drive is enough to get much of a feel for any car.

I like 'em both and they're both fast AND.... fun to drive.

You must be registered for see images

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, a civil discussion about the Z06 vs the Viper.
biggrin.gif
This is cool.
cool.gif
Why can't it always be like this. Maybe it because its not in Snake Pit and the participants are different.
confused.gif
They are both great cars and I think everybody needs to own both. I agree on the number of vettes made each year but remember, they only make about 7000 Z06's a year. Not quite as exclusive as the Viper, but better than 35,000 of them floating around. And, unfortunately where I come from (North East) the vette is pretty exclusive and the Viper almost non-existent. I only wish I lived in Florida or California where nice cars are abundant on the road.

OP
OP
G

GTSFE304

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats guys on a fair exchange- Any garage is enhanced by having both , but if there's only going to be one- it has to be the snake.

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as Viper seats being 50% vinyl... so are the Vettes... just the side trims at least.

They changed the side trim from leather due to excessive wear.

I like the leather on the Z. I have no prob with the mod/red interior in my Z but I don't put that many miles on her.

I'm kinda thinking that because the Vettes are kinda low, that 'some' people have a habit of 'dropping' into the seats. Do that often enough and it doesn't matter how good the leather is...

I like Z06s... and Vipers. Heck, I'm into anything fast
smile.gif

Don
'01 Z06

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude