Z06......now 06 Cobra 500 HP

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
American muscle on steroids......if Ford and Chevy don't back down,everybody will be running 500 hp by late next year....I think reliability will be a problem with the jump to 500................where is our 600 hp coupe?.....

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to start a flame thread or anything, but I am sure you know that 500 or even 600 HP is easily achieved within the big 3 without loss to reliability. i.e. Dodge = 500HP viper and truck from the factory. Ford SVT = 400hp from the factory (many, many, many, many running 600+ with 0 reliability issues. Chevy Z06 = 400HP from the factory, 500 and on rare occasions you will see 600, 700, and even 900hp being cranked out by stock blocks and factory rearends. Now don't get me wrong, I do understand the basis of your concerns. However, seeing how they will come from the factory...will you really concern yourself that much? After all...they will have a factory warranty!

edit: Sorry, I can be an idiot at times. With all the above said...what I was trying to get at was the numbers being accomplished as of now. In the coming years, dodge won't let us down with the viper. In 06 svt is going to a 5.4lt steel/forged block from its now 4.6 line up (cobra only). Chevy, even after 50 years running the same platform is bound to step it up finally. Ok...sorry, I am done.

OP
OP
L

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
98....no flame taken........I think the hp wars are great,but lets remember when chevy hit 400,they produced a car that drank more oil than I drink beer....20% of all the SRT's will have had surgery by the end of it's second year...should be fun..let's see what happens.....

ZBlacktt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to start a flame thread or anything, but I am sure you know that 500 or even 600 HP is easily achieved within the big 3 without loss to reliability. i.e. Dodge = 500HP viper and truck from the factory. Ford SVT = 400hp from the factory (many, many, many, many running 600+ with 0 reliability issues. Chevy Z06 = 400HP from the factory, 500 and on rare occasions you will see 600, 700, and even 900hp being cranked out by stock blocks and factory rearends. Now don't get me wrong, I do understand the basis of your concerns. However, seeing how they will come from the factory...will you really concern yourself that much? After all...they will have a factory warranty!

Your right ( no flame war ). The marketers will keep this drive alive with their top of the line sports cars to show both advancement and horsepower dominance. But also not to start a flame war here, lol. Look over at the import side. Has any American sports car put down almost 1000rwhp on stock block and internals ( just asking )? It seems like the small little 3.0 liter 6 cylinders in the Supra's are just amazing when it comes to return power. The VG 300zx's as well, both can put out such very high numbers on stock blocks and internals from the factory. Only going by the " Gentleman's agreement " does Japan govern their cars to a mere 280hp rating. So it seems like the Japan guys have already been putting out cars that can run 600+rwhp with zero problems on cars that are more than a decade old and not using a V8 or V10 to do it with either. Again, I'm 34 and not a kid and I've owned American muscle cars and I'm just clearly talking cars here. Because I for one love the Viper. It's my next car to get ( Black 2000 GTS ). On my Z, I put an open air filter, a full exhaust system and a HKS boost controller and the car hit 393rwhp and 451rwtq messued at only 17psi. It had 90k miles on it and it's a 1991 model. I've seen many cars in my day like all you guys. But man those Supras have one hell of a motor stock in them.

98MODMTR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am quite sure there are domestics putting out 1000whp on stock blocks/internals. I have seen a few 03 cobras in action putting down that kind of power with only fuel componet upgrades. However, IMO...supras are well known for being able to support those kinds of numbers on a regular basis. Yes, imports are stepping up to the plate in more ways then ever before. They, for what they are, becoming more and more impressive out of the box.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456