Zaino Z-wha?

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Can someone familiar with the Zaino line of products please tell me what I need? I'm not familiar with their Z-x categorization system.

I have a few light scratches and swirl marks. I have black paint. And ultimately, I want that deep, wet-looking shine. What Zaino products will give me the best results?

I tried McGuire's line and the results were just O.K.

Started out washing the car with Dawn and letting it soak to remove all the previous waxes and whatnot that were put on the car. For what it's worth, that Dawn soaking (read about it on Autopia) actually works. After wetting down the car with soapy water (didn't wipe at all - just soaked) and letting it sit for about 10 minutes, while keeping it moist with more soapy water as it dried, once I finally did start wiping, I cleaned the entire car with one cloth diaper, and it looked almost new when I was finished. Only a few light gray streaks on the cloth. The Dawn soaking removed most of the road grime during the soaking phase.

After that, I used Mother's clay bar on the entire car. For those who haven't used it, it actually does work. Pulls all kinds of stuff (embedded dirt particles, tiny paint chips, etc.) out of the paint.

After that, I tried McGuire's Scratch-X on a few light scratches. Pointless endeavor. I saw no difference at all.

After that I used McGuire's Color-X on a decent sized section of the quarter panel and McGuire's Classic Gold car wax on another section. I saw no real difference between the two, so I finished the entire car with the Classic Gold.

The end result was good. I'd say 7.5 on a scale of 1-10. But I'm looking for 9 or better, especially when I dump 7 hours of effort and 1 nasty sunburn into it.

So, next I'm going to try the Zaino line, if I could just make heads or tails of their product codes...

Thanks!

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just go to the site and read what each item is. They list them out specifically for you with a description. I bought the Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit and I got everything I needed. Mind you, Zaino does not have a cleaner polish or good paint cleaner, so you have to buy that stuff from other vendors like Maguiars or 3M, etc..

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

For your car to look its best I would recommend getting a porter cable buffer and all the fixins! Ive spent atleast 400 bucks on car wash stuff and I don't have it all yet. I thought my Viper looked good when I purchased it, but after doing a full detail; Dawn Wash, Clay Bar, Zaino Wash, 3M Rubbing Compound (with buffer), 3M Swirl Remover (with buffer), Zaino Z5 (4 coats), and Z2(2 coats) the car looked absolutely amazing.

Keep reading at Autopia.org, you should learn everything you need to from that site.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the Zaino additive that you put in the wax. It allows you to add multiple coats and saves you from waiting days in between.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino's products are great, but I would recommend going over the car first with 3M Swirl Remover for Dark Cars first. This is what Sal recommends.

I have yet to find a better product than Zaino, but have found that even with Z5... it will take many coats to make even very light swirls go away. It's best to get the paint "right" first, and then go to the Zaino.

Zaino has no abrasives, so it won;t "cut" like some other products.

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always remember to use proper application techniques!

You must be registered for see images attach

I recommend Julie as an applicator, notice the lack of items on her person which could scratch the finish as she reaches to get the hard-to-get places?

You must be registered for see images attach

Getting the best finish is more than buying the right products...

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone familiar with the Zaino line of products please tell me what I need? I'm not familiar with their Z-x categorization system.

I have a few light scratches and swirl marks. I have black paint. And ultimately, I want that deep, wet-looking shine. What Zaino products will give me the best results?

I tried McGuire's line and the results were just O.K.

Started out washing the car with Dawn and letting it soak to remove all the previous waxes and whatnot that were put on the car. For what it's worth, that Dawn soaking (read about it on Autopia) actually works. After wetting down the car with soapy water (didn't wipe at all - just soaked) and letting it sit for about 10 minutes, while keeping it moist with more soapy water as it dried, once I finally did start wiping, I cleaned the entire car with one cloth diaper, and it looked almost new when I was finished. Only a few light gray streaks on the cloth. The Dawn soaking removed most of the road grime during the soaking phase.

After that, I used Mother's clay bar on the entire car. For those who haven't used it, it actually does work. Pulls all kinds of stuff (embedded dirt particles, tiny paint chips, etc.) out of the paint.

After that, I tried McGuire's Scratch-X on a few light scratches. Pointless endeavor. I saw no difference at all.

After that I used McGuire's Color-X on a decent sized section of the quarter panel and McGuire's Classic Gold car wax on another section. I saw no real difference between the two, so I finished the entire car with the Classic Gold.

The end result was good. I'd say 7.5 on a scale of 1-10. But I'm looking for 9 or better, especially when I dump 7 hours of effort and 1 nasty sunburn into it.

So, next I'm going to try the Zaino line, if I could just make heads or tails of their product codes...

Thanks!

They key to a perfect shine is not the wax you use but how well you prep your paint before you start applying your favorite wax.

You need to remove the swirl marks as well as you can before using any waxes.

If you like email me at [email protected] and I can send you some detailed info and suggest some compound and glaze to prep your paint.

You started on the right track with the claybar, but I think you focused too much on getting your wax on before the paint was ready. Waxing is the easy part and shouldn't take more than 20-30mins to wax your entire car once everything is ready. BTW don't waste your money on Zaino accelerator. You can put multiple coats of Z2 on in a day.