ZO6 to Viper -- Keep me out of trouble!!

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tomorrow I turn in my leased 2002 ZO6 and, in my transition to the dark side, will then take possession of a new Copperhead SRT-10. I am a pretty good driver -- I dragged the ZO6 a bit but never autocrossed-- but no expert. Anyone who has driven a ZO6 knows it is a very forgiving vehicle, especially in Competitive mode, so it keeps you out of trouble. I want to stay out of trouble with the Viper. So a few words of advice given to me would be helpful.
Like "Don't stomp on it in 2nd gear going around a turn..." etc.

Also, anyone in Chicago or Southern Wisconsin who knows a relieable tuner if and when I later want to mod it.

Thanks

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great move, Fishbone.......One piece of advice...You can't pick your nose while your driving now. People are watching

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're going to have a couple of close calls, if you're like me, before you realize just how different the Viper is from your Vette. I went from a C5, modified pretty well, to my snake and almost killed myself the first couple of months. What I didn't expect was the sudden rear end rotation around the car's friggin axis when red-line shifting into third at around 75 mph one cool night. I recovered, but barely. Worse, wife was with me on her first ride!

Listen, lots of macho people will bluff and say the Viper's not that bad; just do a little search on all the newbies who've wrapped their snakes, sometimes getting themselves or others killed. My main dictum: "there is NOTHING about owning a Vette that has prepared you for your Viper."

Start over with a clean slate, get some driving school experience, lose it a couple of times someplace where you can't really break anything. The snake is unforgiving, and it's not if, but when, you'll "lose it."

That said, welcome to the dark side! :2tu:

VTen555

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats Fixbone.
I went from an 03 Z06 to an 04 Viper. The Biggest transition for me was how the car tracked on rough roads. The second was the shifter. It can get you in trouble by actually downshifting instead of upshifting. Really Scary!! One of my first mods.

What type of mods do you plan on doing?

If you plan on taking your car to Great Lakes let me know. I would love to see that color in person. I live in Northern Lake County IL. I haven't been there this year but plan on making a few passes.

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have to be more concerned with a Z06 as far as it getting away from you. With the limited slip the Viper has, it really is difficult to kick the rear end out. My Vette was so much fun in the sense of sliding the back out. The viper's limited slip is better for track purposes but sometimes i just want to have alittle bit of fun around a turn and you really have to gun it to get the inside wheel spinning enough for it to transfer to the outter wheel. You'll have more torque but you also have 345's which look so cool!

OP
OP
F

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
VTen555
Initial mods will be exhaust and shifter. Maybe later, once more comfortable with the car, a supercharger -- but I'm in no hurry.

I usually go to great lakes 4 or 5 times a year (I live 10 minutes from Da Graove). After break in I will go and will contact you before I do. Thanks

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Congrats!

First Day Info:

TORQUE!!!!

Do NOT push the go pedal all the way.... unless you're pointed straight!

Do not stare at car in garage.... it'll be there in the morning!

Second Day Info:

See above

Third Day Info:

Pull down the above menus: "Communication", "Site Sponsors" and visit our aftermarket vendors sites

Fourth Day, etc:

Repeat above as needed!

ENJOY!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a big deal this time of year, but even when you get used to the different handling character of the Viper, beware of COLD tires! It'll bite you as quick as a snake hiding in the bushes.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven a number of clutch cars, and I thought the Viper would be just "another one". It is not. Take plenty of time getting adjusted before you get aggressive in it, or it will bite you.

I think I saw or heard a statistic once, that most Vipers are wrecked shortly after they were taken ownership.

my 0.02

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!

First Day Info:

TORQUE!!!!

Second Day Info:

See above

Third Day Info:

Pull down the above menus: "Communication", "Site Sponsors" and visit our aftermarket vendors sites

Fourth Day, etc:

Repeat above as needed!

ENJOY!

I Love this Post!

Ha Ha Ha! :p

:2tu:

Bring the car Downtown (Chicago, That is!) too!

Reaction score
Congratulations and Welcome to the V10 side!

The Viper is a High Performance sports car without electronic traction control(with ABS starting in 2001).

Take a few Skip Barber programs to help master the Viper.

The Viper's torque is massive and will cause oversteer if the pilot is to aggressive or road conditions are not anticipated. The brakes are among the best in the world of street cars and will allow oversteer and understeer in aggressive situations. Cars have to be controlled increasing performance means more control required.

Slamming gears while turning(as in On-Ramps) may cause serious a oversteer. Car Balance is very important, knowing the road surface and tire condition are important. Always look ahead a few seconds to where you want to go.

Have Fun!

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went from a N/A 442.5 RWHP and 431.0 RWTQ 2003 Corvette Z06 to a brand new 2005 Viper SRT-10.

I would say
* Stay on the highway as much as you can. Viper doesn't like traffic and congested streets. (It hates San Francisco's tight uphill & downhill streets)
* Be very careful with the shifter. The stock shifter is piece of *hit.
* Balance. Once again balance. It's very important. Viper is very easy to control as long as the car is balanced. Once the car looses the balance, it's a hussle. Whenever you feel like the Viper is getting away from you, first try to straighten out the car and gain balance again. Do Not Overreact.
* Do what I do once you hit 500 miles. DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

Enjoy.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In cool temperatures the tires STAY cold, the the bad accidents seem to cluster in the spring and fall. Fall particularly dangerous for the new owner who thinks he has learned the snakes limits during the summer, when temperature goes down in the fall the consequences of a bad corner or a missed shift become deadly.

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the pack. I can tell that you want to do this the right way. I think that you will. Just give yourself enough time to learn the car and what to expect if you get "WILD AND CRAZY". It can be a handful, but it is such a sweet ride you can overlook a few qirks. ENJOY :2tu:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome ... I'm a new vette-to-viper convert too

as for advice, have condoms in the glove box ... you'll get a lot more with the viper ... even in Wisconsin ;)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What they said plus:

- 2 hands on the steering wheel - at all times.

- Unless the car is pointed straight ahead, don't put the go pedal too close to the floor or you will regret it.

- You will learn to deal with the attention, photos, people running next to you or speeding up to see what kind of car this is. And the brights at night from behind, when they want to see what kind of car it is, be patient.

- They said this, but you won't believe it, don't lower the air pressure in your run flats to increase traction, raise it to at least 32 psi cold, the sidewalls are very stiff and don't like low pressure.

- I think Andy said this, "work your way up to speed". I would suggest a driving course or attending a Viper Days Event. Handled properly, you won't believe what the SRT-10 can do.

- Have 3m's clear bra or equivalent installed ASAP. You won't believe the rock chips and how fast they accumulate and ruin your fascia / front of hood.

Enjoy

Dan

OP
OP
F

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Hit 600 miles yesterday and letting her stretch her legs. Incredible . No problems, yet.

Thanks for the ****** advice, Vipermann. I fill them with water and toss them at Vettes as I pass them. That's what you meant, correct?

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!

First Day Info:

TORQUE!!!!

Second Day Info:

See above

Third Day Info:

Fourth Day, etc:

Repeat above as needed!

ENJOY!

This is all soooo true... My left foot was shaking the entire ride home from the dealer, thought for sure I would dump the clutch and look like a happy idiot.

Parked the car around 8pm in the garage and made my final (3x per hour) garage inspection around 3am (and had a 8 am tee-time to make). Went to bed with a smile, wife was already asleep. Woke up with a smile and yet my wife was still asleep...

Do replace the shiftknob (I recommend mgw's knob).
Do not apply much throttle when the tires are cold, especially whilst turning unless you prefer to impersonate a pendulum.

Congrats, I too moved up from the Corvette ranks. :2tu:

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven them all and one thing that the Viper taught me when I starting driving it ( and it has only been a month now ) is that I de...de....de...de.....de...deff...deff....definitely need to learn how to drive.....de....deff......definitely!!!! :D

No technology here compared to other cars out there. Old school, raw power.

Can't wait to take my first class coming up.

Good luck
Patrick