ZR1 Nurburgring time correction

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be old news, but I was thumbing through the June 2009 pg. 26 of Road & Track in the corrections section and noticed an article about a report, "The Ring" in February 2009 that had reported that Jan Magnussen drove a Corvettte ZR1 to a 7:22.4 lap around the Nordschleife which as we all know still did not even match the mighty ACR. ;)

As quoted below in the June 2009 Road & Track.

"Magnussen, we have since learned, has not driven a new ZR1 around the Ring. The fastest ZR1 lap remains that of GM test engineer Jim Mero, a 7:26.4."

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the Vette boys were crowing about this supposed run for a while till the truth came to light that it never happened.
Oh the heartbreak.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go again with the "Vette Boys" comment crap. Are some of you really adults? The animosity that exists here is just ridiculous sometimes. Besides, only clowns would base their purchases on 'Ring times. I couldn't care less which brand holds a record at one track, when it comes to my purchases.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go again with the "Vette Boys" comment crap. Are some of you really adults? The animosity that exists here is just ridiculous sometimes. Besides, only clowns would base their purchases on 'Ring times. I couldn't care less which brand holds a record at one track, when it comes to my purchases.

I agree totally, I'll never understand the Vette VS Viper thing.:dunno:
Seems like everyones ******* were pre-knotted before I purchased my Viper.:rolleyes:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
As a Viper fan, I still really appreciate the competition. Especially if its American. :usa:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously...the Vette, and moreso the Viper, are hanging on by the skin of their teeth. I don't understand the bickering.

It reminds me of the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger arguements...who really cares?! At least we have the three cars again for the first time in in over 30 years...hell, the Camaro and Challenger probably won't even make it to a redesign

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both as we know them are dead meat. RIP. Latest reports have the new vette coming out as a pedal car augmented by an electric motor with power supplied by a roof and hood mounted solar pannel. The Viper will be powered by a 2 cylinder briggs and stratton with an optional performance upgrade to a 2 cylinder yamaha. GTS Bruce

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Vettes because if it wasn't for the C6Z06, I doubt we'd get our 600HP Gen IV's. Competition is good and remember no one can always win, but that's what improves the breed.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love Vettes because if it wasn't for the C6Z06, I doubt we'd get our 600HP Gen IV's. Competition is good and remember no one can always win, but that's what improves the breed.
Very true. And both are still killing the rest of the competition at a fraction of the cost.
:usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where do you kumbya guys come from? Competition is good, and sibling rivalry... short of sending someone to the hospital... only makes you stronger. Do you guys REALLY get your feelings hurt that easily? :rolleyes:

Yes, both are great cars, but if your only complaint is the term "Boys", then you need to find something better to do. In the Army, we razz our brothers serving in the other branches, and vice versa. But when **** hits the fan, we'd die for each other... then when we get back, buy each other beer while resuming the name calling. It's all in fun. Get over yourself, and grow some thicker skin.

joedud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Port Orange, FL (just below Daytona Beach)
I have always liked Vettes, but my decision to get my '08 Viper went like this:

Me: Honey, after 20 years of driving trucks and SUVs, I think it's time for a cool car again. I think I'll just get a Vette.

Wife: I like the car at the Dodge dealership a lot better.

Me: You mean the new Challenger, like the one I had in 1973 (when wife was 3, ouch)?

Wife: No, that other one, what's it called, a Viper?

Me: Yes, dear, a Viper.

Wife: Is it as FAST as a Vette?

Me: Oh yeah. OK, if you like it better and insist . . .

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you kumbya guys come from? Competition is good, and sibling rivalry... short of sending someone to the hospital... only makes you stronger. Do you guys REALLY get your feelings hurt that easily? :rolleyes:

Yes, both are great cars, but if your only complaint is the term "Boys", then you need to find something better to do. In the Army, we razz our brothers serving in the other branches, and vice versa. But when **** hits the fan, we'd die for each other... then when we get back, buy each other beer while resuming the name calling. It's all in fun. Get over yourself, and grow some thicker skin.
I was thinking the same thing! I love the competition and I love to see the Viper beat the Vet! If we weren't into competition, why do we care who has the most power or quickest ET time? :dunno:

However, I still like Corvettes and I would like to have a nice ZO6 or ZR1 (after I get a couple more Vipers :D).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For some it's just harmless razzin'. For others like myself it's payback to GM for having destroyed an American icon (as well as other brands) we grew up with in the 60s and early 70s. And considering the state GM is currently in our frustration is clearly justified.

In contrast, Dodge brought the excitement back in 1992 and today would more likely be in a similar position as Ford, had Diamler not ruined them.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Competition IS good, but Viper owners already get labeled with the stereotype of being ********** by the general public, and threads like this just prove them right. I'm active on both Viper and Corvette sites, and the crowd here can be far more abrasive and immature than the Corvette crowd when it comes to discussing Vipers. Has nothing to do with hurting feelings, just the level of immaturity some people display when discussing topics.

For what its worth, I like the ACR much better than the ZR1. But, that doesn't make me want to make fun of Corvettes or generalize their entire group of owners as crybabies. Doing so just makes US look like arrogant jerks. I'd rather break that stereotype.

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vette or Viper, doesn't matter to me. Both awesome cars and great values. He who passes at the track days laughs last! All the street driving afterwards is just killing time until the next track day! :beer:

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This may be old news, but I was thumbing through the June 2009 pg. 26 of Road & Track in the corrections section and noticed an article about a report, "The Ring" in February 2009 that had reported that Jan Magnussen drove a Corvettte ZR1 to a 7:22.4 lap around the Nordschleife which as we all know still did not even match the mighty ACR. ;)

As quoted below in the June 2009 Road & Track.

"Magnussen, we have since learned, has not driven a new ZR1 around the Ring. The fastest ZR1 lap remains that of GM test engineer Jim Mero, a 7:26.4."

Go back to the beginning.

The point Moper488 was making is the vette claim of a 7:22.4 run around the 'Ring was BOGAS and R&T was just setting the facts straight.

TCurtner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree totally, I'll never understand the Vette VS Viper thing.:dunno:
Seems like everyones ******* were pre-knotted before I purchased my Viper.:rolleyes:

Well, I understand it thoroughly. I've had a 2007 and then later a 2008 Z06 (which I traded on my first '08 Viper in March of this year, then to the new '08 a few weeks ago). While I have not driven a ZR1 (but did own a 'King of the Hill' for a while), I can tell you this: The experience of driving some '06 Vipers a few years ago, then owning the vettes, kept me dreaming of Vipers, until I finally got one. After trading my black '08 Z06 on on '08 Viper I KNOW WHY THERE IS A Versus thing. My Vipers simply annul my memories of being a corvette man. Yep, that's the truth - Vipers ERASE ALL memories (in this owner) of ever having had vettes, or caring about owning more. I live close to Tail of the Dragon, and other great backroads in TN, and the Viper not only bests all of my personal times by HUGE amounts, but the thrill of tossing the Viper into curves at the limit, and then seeing the backend stay planted, whereas the Z06 was very squirrely, leaves me amazed that there are ever negative comparisons - towards the Viper - between the two. The steering is razor sharp in a Viper NOT in the vette, the seats grip in the Viper NOT in the vette, the transmission shifting obeys one in the Viper NOT in the vette, the handling is superior in the Viper NOT in the vette, the balance is better in the Viper, not in the vette, man I could go on for hours. The point is, that until a vette driver actually spends some time with a Viper, they just need to shut up. Sorry, for the abruptness, but that's the way I see it. If there is ANY thing in which the vette excels, it is, and only is in my opinion, the comfort level for a long trip. That's it. For a real driving experience, for the power, for the image, for the AWESOMENESS - I'll take the Viper. The Ring time facts serve to backup my decision!!

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go back to the beginning.

The point Moper488 was making is the vette claim of a 7:22.4 run around the 'Ring was BOGAS and R&T was just setting the facts straight.

Good call George.

I was just stating the facts.

Didn't mean to start a nuclear war. :lmao:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Competition IS good, but Viper owners already get labeled with the stereotype of being ********** by the general public, and threads like this just prove them right.

First of all it was just joshing.
Secondly, the Vette fan boyz were absolutely relentless in putting down the Viper when they had the ring record. it was nonstop.
Thirdly, who gives a shiit what some jealous wannabee thinks of Viper owners.
Other than you.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ACRBruce, I look at it from the other angle. If it wasn't for the viper the Vette would of been more of a solstice with a smog V6 pumping out a whopping 300 hp and the GM guys would have been proud because it would have been the only game in town. And BTW the GT50 is a byproduct of the same!:)

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always liked Vettes, but my decision to get my '08 Viper went like this:

Me: Honey, after 20 years of driving trucks and SUVs, I think it's time for a cool car again. I think I'll just get a Vette.

Wife: I like the car at the Dodge dealership a lot better.

Me: You mean the new Challenger, like the one I had in 1973 (when wife was 3, ouch)?

Wife: No, that other one, what's it called, a Viper?

Me: Yes, dear, a Viper.

Wife: Is it as FAST as a Vette?

Me: Oh yeah. OK, if you like it better and insist . . .

You should have corrected your wife on line seven: It is faster than the vette!

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACRBruce, I look at it from the other angle. If it wasn't for the viper the Vette would of been more of a solstice with a smog V6 pumping out a whopping 300 hp and the GM guys would have been proud because it would have been the only game in town. And BTW the GT50 is a byproduct of the same!:)

I purchased the first of many Vettes in '85 and it had the widest rear tires I'd ever seen up to that point, a 255 sized tire. WOW. There was no Vipers at that time though so the Vettes ruled in the 80's. Then the Vipers came along, then after many years not owning Vettes I got my hands on a C5Z06 w/ another first from an American car maker - over 400HP. The HP war between GM and Dodge really made things interesting this decade and I LOVE it. All I can say is I don't care how you look at it, if it wasn't for the rivalry, there wouldn't be that many 600+HP machines for us to own or drool over. I just hope the rivalry can go on forever.
There're GT40's and GT500's and GT3, GT2, GT2, GT-R, but what's a GT50?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang