'01 and '02 GTS Owners- Any interest in Front and Rear Wilwood Brake Kit?

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'01 and \'02 GTS Owners- Any interest in Front and Rear Wilwood Brake Kit?

I have put together specs for a direct bolt-on Wilwood kit. Front calipers are 6 piston (GN III/ST) with 14" x 1.25" slotted rotors, rears are 4 piston calipers (FSL) with rotors slightly larger than stock. Also comes with front/rear race pads (Polymatrix A or B). The kit currently is around $4K. With 5 or more buyers I can get the rotor hat manufacturing costs way down (whole kit around $3K or less). I can also get the rotors/pads/calipers at wholesale cost. I will not make a penny on this- just want to get manufacturing costs as low as possible- so pm me if interested. I currently have the kit on my '97 GTS and it is phenomenal at the track. I am upgrading to '01 hubs/spindles for ABS, so that is why I need the new kit... Once again, this is a DIRECT bolt-on Wilwood kit with no spindle/hub/etc modifications.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'01 and \'02 GTS Owners- Any interest in Front and Rear Wilwood Brake Kit?

Viperidae --

Can you point us to a website that tells us more about the Wilwoods?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why bother?Sounds just about the same price as a stoptech system. GTS Bruce

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'01 and \'02 GTS Owners- Any interest in Front and Rear Wilwood Brake Ki

I don't think you can get a 6-piston front and 4-piston rear Stoptech system for these prices. The four wheel 4-piston stoptech system is $5K alone. I don't want to get into the stoptech vs wilwood debate again, but this system is definitely comparable in performance. Additionally, replacement rotors and pads are cheaper with the wilwood kit. The front calipers are GN III/ST:

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/005-GN3/index.asp

The rear calipers are forged billet superlite:

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/012-FSL/index.asp

The front rotors are 14" diameter by 1.25" thick, and the rears are 13" by .81" (both slotted). I have the kit on my Gen II, and I have about 30 hours of track time on it. It is phenomenal. I need a new kit for the '01 hubs/spindles, however, because I am upgrading to ABS. The kit only fits '01 and '02 Vipers (with ABS). I also have specs on the Gen II pre-ABS kit if interested. Once again, I won't make a dime on this- I just want to lower the rotor hat manufacturing costs as much as possible. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks-

Shawn

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just curious, but why do you specify "GTS" as if it would be for the GTS only? The 01/02 GTS and RT brake systems are identical, last I heard.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know if the GTS and RT brakes are identical or not. I only have experience with the GTS, which is why I stated that...

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not getting into a wilwood vs XXXXX debate but i'm curious what made you choose those calipers? Wilwood is generally focused around light weight, moderately powerful cars. IMO in the realm of heat disipation given the heavy weight and large wheels/tires those calipers are just not up to the task, especially the superlight rears. As well why go with such a narrow .81" rear rotor? If one is really looking for upgraded performance one of the first steps would be going to a 14x1.25" rear rotor.

IMO a viper is way too much car for off the shelf wilwood calipers, especially the ultralights. Given the $$$ IMO the 4 wheel SRT brake kit from RACECARS, Roe, etc. running 14x12.5 rotors all around would be much more adequate for these cars.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know if the GTS and RT brakes are identical or not. I only have experience with the GTS, which is why I stated that...

RT & GTS brakes are identical.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree. You don't use rear brakes that much on a racecar, so having them the same size as the front is just a waste of rear brakes. Additionally, these front calipers are 6-piston and provide much more brake than SRT calipers. I have used Wilwoods on my Viper for around 30 track hours without issue. I think this kit will outbrake 99% of the cars out there. Sorry, but stock SRT calipers can't even touch this kit...

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I currently run the Wilwood GN III on my World Challenge GTS. The front are 6 piston and I moved the stock fronts to the rear. Of course, you need a proportioning valve, but the sysytem has proved flawless for the past 2 seasons. I get double the pad life and great braking. The pads for the Wilwood calipers are almost always less expensive than others due to the large quantities that are produced. The GN III calipers are used in Nascar as well as many other road racing organizations. I've run the Stop Techs, and have found that for my needs the Wilwood GN III caliper is a better choice.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How streetable are they? I see track use once or twice a year, but drive to work all the time.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have never ran my set up on the street, but don't see why they wouldn't work well on the street. Just use a street pad instead of race.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like an interesting option that I'd seriously consider given all the options. What about "E" brake for the rear??? Appears that I'd have to do without with this kit.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi All,

The kit that Shawn's referring too is a support upgrade to the "Dilusi" setup that I designed some time ago. This setup is on many cars and has been very successful. It provides excellent characteristics and can be used both on the street and on the track. However, on the track is where the setup really shines as it provides repeatable performance (like ****** for your brakes) at a low usage cost. I've used this on all of my Vipers.

Additionally, I'd like answer a few questions:

First, the package will bolt on to both GTS and RT GenII cars without modification.

Next, the factory rear caliper is optionally retained as the parking brake. (e.g. the stock rear rotor size) This is actually a plus as several pounds are trimmed from the unsprung/rotating mass while brake performance is increased over stock.

More, the calipers are HEAVY DUTY and are anything but "Ultralight" as the front and rear caliper are immense and are commonly used to stop much heavier cars than Vipers. Also, I've entered and won the "XYZ brand is bigger/stiffer than the Wilwood brand" debate many times by using precision measuring tools to measure caliper flex/distorion...and they ALL flex some...but the Wilwoods consistenaly at the top of the heap.

Finally, there is a GenI setup but it is slightly different than the GenI and requires trimming of your factory steering knuckle.

Regards,
David Tittle

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have the same brakes on my 97 and I agree with Viperidae, they are unbeatable! If you can get this complete setup for less than $5K, you have a steal! For the street, use ceramic pads. For the track, something more aggressive.

You must be registered for see images

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shawn, PM sent.

OP
OP

97 Viper GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To answer some questions I have received about the kit:

Streetability- the kit is 100% streetable- just use a mild pad (I use polymatrix E) or the rotor squeel will be significant because the rotors are cold.

Ease of install- very easy. Simply bolt caliper mounts in front and rear to hub bolts. You also mount the rotor hats to the rotors with 12 bolts that are torqued to 16 ft-lbs. Then simply install rotors, calipers, and pads and you are good to go. You also need SS lines with these calipers...

Cost- the cost will be lower the more interest in the kit. Right now I only have one other interested party. I am waiting on two more machine shop bids- after they are in I will go with the lowest. Once again, the more interested parties, the lower the overall cost will be. Cost for rotors/calipers/pads should be around $1600. Right now manufacturing costs are about $2K. I am hoping to get these down to $1K or so, which will be split equally among X buyers.

Thanks,

Shawn

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The company I work for (Van Petty MFG) makes the fasteners for Wilwood, here are some pictures of My Brake kit I made.

Fronts:
637P8050711-med.JPG

Rears: I keep the stock parking brake location
637P8050707-med.JPG

Please let me know if I can help in any way... :D

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The company I work for (Van Petty MFG) makes the fasteners for Wilwood, here are some pictures of My Brake kit I made.
Please let me know if I can help in any way... :D

Rob,

How do I keep the allen bolts on my Wilwoods from rusting? :D j/k
2827rear_brake-med.JPG

Wilwoods are great brakes. Night and day difference compared to stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi