02 GTS for 49K

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I went to a dealer to see the Subaru WRX. The dealer gave me a good price of 30K and kept on telling me how fast the car was. Also that I have never driven the car this fast. Later I told him that I had a Viper LOL. I also asked how much would he pay for my 02 with 13K....he said 49K!!! This is scarry!!! :eek:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, two possibilities....That's wholesale, now that's frightening. Or your reputation has become well known you and he figures the car has had the pi$$ run out of it. C'mon NEVER try and trade a high buck exotic in on a new ricer. The cost differential is such that you're saying to the dealer... "I gotta dump my high buck exotic for a low buck ricer" I MUST BE DESPERATE. May not be the case, but that is what they are assuming and that is the message you are sending. Go in there with NO trade and sell the Viper outright, any other strategy will get you killed. Why are you looking for a Subaru when you already have a killer X5 anyway?

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW sounds like a great price from a Dealer, I'm surprised they went as high as 49K, I bet with negotiation you could maybe get 54K. He prbably went right to Kelly Blue Book:

Trade-In Value $57,175
Trade-in value represents what you might expect to receive from a dealer for this consumer owned vehicle. Keep in mind that the dealer must then absorb the cost of making the vehicle ready for sale, advertising, sales commissions, arranging financing and insurance and standing behind the vehicle for any mechanical or safety problems.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never told them that I wanted to trade. I just wanted to see what it is worth.
Lee, I need a second car that can be driven in the snow.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You gotta understand, car dealers give you the open cheek price when they either want to steal it or just let it pass through their lot. He "way lo balled" you cause he was just going to turn it right around to a wholesaler prolly. You NEVER get what you can get on the private market on a Viper unless you maybe trade it at one of the forums Viper friendly mega dealers.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Up to date wholesale price on an 02 gts is 56.2.The average miles for that price is 3325.Take it down from there for more mileage.Trade in is slightly higher,but not much.49k is way low,by at least 4-5k.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're worrying about the snow get a real 4x4 for about the same price as the suby.Suby's don't make it due to low ground clearance.You end up with the wheels spinning and going nowhere because snow packs up under it.Get the stuff you need to keep going.LSD's and lock up center diff.Tires BFG TA KO.Got 7 feet of snow in one week and it never stopped my ram or the wife's durango with the same tires and options.Drove to work one day with snow sliding across the hood.Had chain to help drag out the unfortunate.No suby's or ricers though.Don't want to get a bill for bending up their little cars.Did drag a Kia sideways out of the apron of the parking lot I was trying to get into_Owner wasn't around.Abandoned.Should have thrown it in the back and took it home for the kids to play with. Bruce

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the same car with the same miles just brought 52k at auction in the florida climate where sports cars can still be driven. what do you think a suburu dealer will do with a viper with no cats on it?

you cant just run cars at an auction, you need good numbers at the sale or your stuff will run when all the people are already at the ***** bar having spent all their money, so you have to wholesale the car to someone who can run it,no one will spend 50g on a car to make 0. so figure 1k to refurbish the car, 1k for the wholesaler and 1k in auction and trucking fees.

if someone can tell me how to take a picture of a web page and post it here please do.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a dealer I'm surprised he offered that much.

They will always loooooooooooooooow lowball ya...doesn't matter what kind of car you're asking about.

As far as trade in value vs real value, a dealer will never tell you "it's probably worth $55K but I'll offer you $49K" - he'll always use one figure and it's the figure he'd give ya on trade in. They will never ever utter real market value on anything.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it may be worth 55 to us but we are consumers. as a business would you spend 55k in hopes of finding someone to pay 55 with no idea when you may sell it.

since we all feel its worth 55, we would all call him a crook when he asked 62 for the car and it would sit on his lot and rot.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$^$##@ subaru, that's bs, you guys dont think 49 is low??? Sell me your 02 for that then!

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the same car with the same miles just brought 52k at auction in the florida climate where sports cars can still be driven. what do you think a suburu dealer will do with a viper with no cats on it?

you cant just run cars at an auction, you need good numbers at the sale or your stuff will run when all the people are already at the ***** bar having spent all their money, so you have to wholesale the car to someone who can run it,no one will spend 50g on a car to make 0. so figure 1k to refurbish the car, 1k for the wholesaler and 1k in auction and trucking fees.

if someone can tell me how to take a picture of a web page and post it here please do.

I use the manheim actual auction results,the same thing most dealers use when they take in a car that they will have to wholesale.I use the national average,and of course that varies by location,and more importantly the car condition.49k is way low,actual real wholesale is 53-54.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always low-ball trade-ins. Business is business, and the purpose of a business is to make money. Oh, yeah...and to pay high taxes to support all the government entitlement programs...

Once a year or so, I get a cheap-as-hell 2 or 3 year old 'Vette. 'Vette owners dump that Chevy junk cheap when sanity kicks in. I just wholesale them to other dealers.

I think 52K or so would be a fair trade-in offer on that 02 GTS. But as you know, you'll do better selling the car yourself.

Bruce...LOL...toss the ricer in the back...I like that.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the manheim actual auction results,the same thing most dealers use when they take in a car that they will have to wholesale.I use the national average,and of course that varies by location,and more importantly the car condition.49k is way low,actual real wholesale is 53-54.

so did i, look at the ochoee site (www.floridaautoauction.com) and there was a 02 grey gts with 13k miles that sold for 52k on the 9th of this month.

if wholesale i 53,500 who here would pay 59?

if it was a low mile car it would be a diffrent story but this a 13k mile ride.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think it would bring $52k ish here in Big D. If you bite at $49k the guy is just padding his profits. He can always go up, but never down.

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im a San Diego used car dealer, the current book here is about 56,500 and retail 62,500. I own a 02 final edition and just saw one go through the auction and did not get a bid of 47k . It does not matter right now how warm the weather is the whole market is down . Last year you could not touch a viper for less than a grand over book . I can make 2,000 on a 3500 dollar car why would anyone buy a 60k car for the same profit. To dealers its just rubber and metal . Enjoy your cars for what they are and not for an investment

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

so did i, look at the ochoee site (www.floridaautoauction.com) and there was a 02 grey gts with 13k miles that sold for 52k on the 9th of this month.

if wholesale i 53,500 who here would pay 59?

if it was a low mile car it would be a diffrent story but this a 13k mile ride.

1 car is not an average.Its a particular sale.Look at the average.56.2 with 3300 miles!Reduce that for mileage.How about the 5k car that went for 58? Thats why a 1 car average doesnt work.In your example,you said a similar car sold for 52k,so why only 49k on this one?52k is close to what I said at 53-54.No way an 02 gts is worth 49k wholesale.If wholesale were 53-54,and retail at 59,I believe there are buyers at that,but more likely 56.5-58.0,because of the reduced mark that dealers are taking right now,or 55.5-56.5 in a private party sale.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$52k, maybe up to $53-54k if you found the right guy. That's pretty high mileage for an 02. That's the problem.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ElDiablo has delusions of grandeur concerning the value of his car.
I'd say $49k is just about what the car is worth to a dealer.

As more than one posted above, run through the numbers. There isn't a big percentage in it for the dealer. He can make more with his money on turning lower priced cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang