02 Porsche Turbo or SRT-10

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone here owned or driven a 996 Turbo? I have one and I have a chance to buy an SRT. I have had a 99 GTS and the wife made me trade it for the turbo. I miss the Viper but I'd like to compare and get feed back from the group. Please help.

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have small children and can give up the backseat, go w/ srt-10. I may go w/ the turbo since I have a 15mo old daughter. Nice to take whole family for a drive. I'll keep the 96gts for canyon blasts.
If it's just you and the wife, definitely go w/ the baddest convertible available. There is nothing like top down driving. Your wife will LOVE the srt-10.

OP
OP
V

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wife has an 02 c4 cab. we do have two kids. I'd like someone know if someone has drive these two cars and their opinions of them.
I have heard a quote "The Turbo is a tool, to go fast" I'd have to agree. Havinf been at the track many times with it, it just does as it's told. After having my 99 GTS at the track I knew I had a work out but it was more fun.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT is leaps and bounds better than my '01 and '02 RT's. The brakes on this car (SRT) are incredable, like the car is attached to a bungee cord and being pulled backwards. The motor trend June issue has a 97 foot stop from 60 mph, a record for all street cars they have tested. The car is also as noticably quiker. The interior is leaps and bounds better. I just turned 1950 miles today, smiling very hard all but the break in miles.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude..Go with the Turbo.The days of the real Viper are all gone. Sure the car is fantastic.But lets not kid everyone on this baord.look at all the problmes that are occuring with the new model.Valves, rears, sounds coming from the side..Common..is this new japanese design so incredible..I bet you guys anything that any GTS will kick ass with less than $1,000 in modifications. The SRT will compete with the future 2005 vett in looks.They will be almost identical.Not a big fan at all about looks.They killed the brutal looks..God only knows whats next..If the Viper will last maybe another few years before DC decides to kill it off...If this is the future of all Vipers to come then I do hope they kill off the car.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the SRT. If you could, take it for a ride and you'll love it! You'll have one of the best handling, braking and powerful cars straight from the factory.

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK :) :)

i took delivery of my 2003 viper srt10 in january. without a doubt the car was a rocket. brakes were awesome. handling was breathtaking!!! looks were elegant but understated in my opinion. for some history my previous(1994-present) cars were ( in no particular order)

1995 lotus esprit s4s
1994 porsche 911 RS America
1994 viper
1995 viper
1996 viper gts
1998 viper rt10
1999 viper gts
2001 viper rt10
2002 z06 vette
2003 viper srt10

as you can see i have had the viper bug awhile. the srt10 is every bit the beast just in my opinion lacking in 2 key areas...

1. not as beastly LOOKING as its performance represents( this may be a good thing for alot of people though :)

2. the fact that it is not legal on 99 percent of all dragstrips and road courses. this was my biggest complaint. now i know alot of people will jump on the " get a comp coup" bandwagon but i actually like driving my cars on both the street and track.

so to make a LOOONNGGG story short in april i got an offer on the srt10 i just could not resist. i made 6 grand profit selling it and now was stuck with what to buy.

i decided on my childhood dream car the 911 turbo!!! all my life i held this car in some majestic plateau of performance , style , heritage etc. so i was, to say the least, VERY PUMPED !!!!

i took delivery of the car ( silver 2003 996TT) in the beginning of april and 3 weeks later it was on a truck to Woodhouse as a trade!!!! in a word ...

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a letdown. the car was 121 grand of rolling boredom. no looks , no gawkers, no exhaust sound, no excitement at all. even at over 130 mph the car almost made me fall asleep :eek:

if you want a great car that is everything your neighbors' bmws and amg mercedes are get the porsche. but if you want a car that makes you smile just backing it out of the driveway get the VIPER!!!!!

oh and by the way the car i replaced the SRT10 and the porsche turbo with...

472002-gts-redwhitestripes.jpg

2002 final edition gts brand new from woodhouse!!! thanks BILL !!!!!

regards
george

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
duh, gee George, all that just to get back to a real Viper. GREAT story! Shim the wastegate of the turbo and the boredom fades a little...the silver color makes the Porsche completely fade too, into traffic, like a buick.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sort of a shame in a way. Porsche changed the 993TT to the 996 to make it a little more civilized to drive and ended up making it a little boring to drive.

I had the Mitsubishi 3000VR6 and thought it was an incredibly easy car to drive at speed. Also ended up being a little boring.

As far as the lack of gawk power with the new design of the SRT, the Gen 1 and 2 vipers draw so much attention sometimes its a little hard to use as a daily driver. When I get in the car everyone around seems to be a little disappointed. They're expecting someone like Bruce Willis or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
George,
Thanks for sharing your experience with your great cars. Few people have the opportunity to go between those three cars in such a short time frame and give a direct comparison. I think I know exactly what you mean. There may be “better” cars than the GTS (SRT-10) but I am not sure if there is a car for ~100k that can make you feel the same way.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tint the windows REAL dark, then put a small decal that says 'madonna' on the drivers side window. I actually bear an incredible resemblence to Tom Green. That's why I sold the RT-10....too many people asked for my autograph. If you don't know who Tom Green is, you really don't.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK :) :)

i took delivery of my 2003 viper srt10 in january. without a doubt the car was a rocket. brakes were awesome. handling was breathtaking!!! looks were elegant but understated in my opinion. for some history my previous(1994-present) cars were ( in no particular order)

1995 lotus esprit s4s
1994 porsche 911 RS America
1994 viper
1995 viper
1996 viper gts
1998 viper rt10
1999 viper gts
2001 viper rt10
2002 z06 vette
2003 viper srt10

as you can see i have had the viper bug awhile. the srt10 is every bit the beast just in my opinion lacking in 2 key areas...

1. not as beastly LOOKING as its performance represents( this may be a good thing for alot of people though :)

2. the fact that it is not legal on 99 percent of all dragstrips and road courses. this was my biggest complaint. now i know alot of people will jump on the " get a comp coup" bandwagon but i actually like driving my cars on both the street and track.

so to make a LOOONNGGG story short in april i got an offer on the srt10 i just could not resist. i made 6 grand profit selling it and now was stuck with what to buy.

i decided on my childhood dream car the 911 turbo!!! all my life i held this car in some majestic plateau of performance , style , heritage etc. so i was, to say the least, VERY PUMPED !!!!

i took delivery of the car ( silver 2003 996TT) in the beginning of april and 3 weeks later it was on a truck to Woodhouse as a trade!!!! in a word ...

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a letdown. the car was 121 grand of rolling boredom. no looks , no gawkers, no exhaust sound, no excitement at all. even at over 130 mph the car almost made me fall asleep :eek:

if you want a great car that is everything your neighbors' bmws and amg mercedes are get the porsche. but if you want a car that makes you smile just backing it out of the driveway get the VIPER!!!!!

oh and by the way the car i replaced the SRT10 and the porsche turbo with...

472002-gts-redwhitestripes.jpg

2002 final edition gts brand new from woodhouse!!! thanks BILL !!!!!

regards
george

Great FINAL decision! :D

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a personal thing I guess. I just not impressed with the looks of the SRT. I kept my 996TT...

I miss my GTS, sniff, sniff...

Roy

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I curently have both cars in my garage and they are both amazing, but in different ways. The Viper is brutal and untamed. It rides rough and is less refined than the Porsche. Also, the Porsche is built with absolute quality in mind. That is not to say that the Viper isn't, but then again-my service ABS light came on at 150 miles...

It would be very hard to chose between the two cars. The Viper is a bargain with is's performance and good looks. The Porsche costs more, but you get what you pay for. The car is much more luxurious than the Viper. Some examples are the suede interior roof and leather interior parts.

In my opinion, if you want a car to drive on a daily basis and price is not an issue, the Porsche may be your car. However, if you're looking to attract attention, the SRT is your car. The gawk factor for the Viper is much higher than that of the turbo.

Both cars are amazing to drive and you will be pleased with whichever you buy.

Good luck and let us know which one you pick!

Tim

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks...

I love the turbo as well. I have taken it to several track days and had tons of fun. But the 99 GTS I had was more enjoyable more interactive. You have to drive it. The Porsche even on uneven or washboard surface is easy to drive.
I'm just checking the SRT out to see about the valve replacement and I'll go ahead and get it. The car is not my daily driver so I don't really care, but I love the looks and I guess there is more feeling in the VIPER.

Thanks for the response, great help.

OP
OP
V

viperz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

The turbo is too simple to drive. It's point and shoot. Where the Viper may bite back the Turbo just corrects itself and on we go.
I had a 99 C2 with the aerokit and factory sports suspension. My wife made me trade it in for her C4 Cab but that was very nice to drive and had the aftermarket exhaust as well.

If someone tells me how to post some pics I can show you guys the cars.