03 Wheel & Caliper Cleaning ?'s

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the stock 03 Wheels. They are polished with a clear powder coat right? What is the best way to shine them up? Will one of those power balls work? They look like crap up close. Plus I think the previous owner used something on the wheels that shouldn't have been on the calipers because they have a weird film on them. I will try to get a pic posted up of them.

Here are a few pics of the calipers

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your wheels have a clearcoat try the powerball and a plastic polish. According to Forrest from Mothers, the clearcoat on wheels is softer then the clearcoat on your paint. So a plastic polish will work great.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read the same thing about plastic polish and a power ball so I tried it. Did nothing. You can try it but you'll be wasting your time.

I got fed up with the wheen haze so I just chome plated them.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the same thing about plastic polish and a power ball so I tried it. Did nothing. You can try it but you'll be wasting your time.

I got fed up with the wheen haze so I just chome plated them.

agree. you'll never correct this, just make it worse. They have a clear coat on them. Send them to calchrome, or live with them as-is..

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So there is no way to get them looking better at all?

I plan to black chrome them once I need new tires. I just got my car so no down time right now would be great. Unless I find a cheap set of extra wheels.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save time, Chrome them. I had many parts of polished aluminum on my street rods--what a PITA. They always needed polishing.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Strip off the clear coat and hand polish them, until you powder coat them.

I refuse to polish them. I spend a winter polishing a old Truimph Bonneaville. Looked awesome. First time those damn carb ticklers spitup up, all those hours off work was down the drain. :mad::mad::mad:

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what I figured I would have to repaint them. Wonder how big of a pain they are to get off and rebleed the system.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it yourself. Not difficult at all. Get a friend with some mechanical knowledge to help.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do it yourself. Not difficult at all. Get a friend with some mechanical knowledge to help.

I'm not stupid just slow.;) I do 98% of all work on my cars. But the Viper is scaring me alittle. I hate bleeding brakes but figure will do it myself. If the calipers are powdercoated will they have to be rebuilt because of the heat? Is there a place the site uses?

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
R&J Distributing | Welcome To R&J's VIPER World

For the powder coating of the calipers (looks like bad salt corrosion)

The wheels is up to you but black chrome wheels look sharp.

Thanks for the link. That's werid because the last place the car was Vegas. I think there was something sprayed on the wheels and it got hot on the calipers, because it looks like it's running down on one of the calipers.

Yea this is what my car looks like figure the black would go with the stripes.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lagalaxy, while you have the calipers and wheels off the car, you might want to also get the rotor caps powdercoated. That will make the entire package complete.....Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187