04 Mamba vs 08 Z06

badsnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, I've traded my 04 Black Mamba for an 08 Atomic Orange Metallic Z06. Main reason: wife can drive the Z06, she was intimidated in the viper. After over 100,00 miles in 3 different vipers all bought new (72K, 15K, and 25K respectively)I can honestly say that as nice a car that the new Z06 is, when it comes down to it the viper is hands down a more WOW factor car to drive at the limit as either driver or passenger. On the track, NO COMPARISON!! However at this stage in my life I do not anticipate tracking my car anymore, the wife is ecstatic (I do get to put snows on her C4Scab and use it as my winter rat), and the Z06 truly is a "nice car". But IT IS NOT A VIPER! The two cars are really not comparable and I don't understand why people even try. They are both great cars, with different appeals to different types of drivers. It just goes to show you, after 12 years and over 100K miles in a viper, maybe it's true: vets are for old guys - just kidding.
On a plus note, the viper was wholesaled to a buddy's uncle and I still get to visit it. Comments are welcome, but do note the following. Which car would I have as my sole sports car if I did not value the input of my wife (who truly left the decision to me but is extremely happy to be co-driving the Z06); any viper, let alone a new '08.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mentioned before that I believe much of the comparative problem is that MOST Viper owners have driven and MANY have previously owned Vettes. I'd bet that very few Vette owners have actually ever driven a Viper.

We speak from experience, while they speak more from print.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
badsnk: You are from where I am originally, from Syracuse. Small world...VERY sorry to hear you sold your Mamba...I hear ya on your reasons (the wife)...but it's still very sad...these cars just cannot be compared to each other. The Viper is a BEAST and commands respect, the Z06, yep we've had them as well...hands down, the Viper wins.
BUT, you gotta do what's best for you and your family! Whereabouts in Syracuse are you at? ~juli

OP
OP
B

badsnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, traded for $45K, had 25,000 miles, all mine, clean car, was due for 4 tires and oil/filter. With tax bene on trade ,tires, & oil was equivalent of just over $50,000 in my pocket. Dealer sold it to my buddy's uncle in Utica for $47K. Great deal for him, OK for me.

Mike and Julie: Just moved from Utica to Jamesville less than 2 miles east of the Manley field house at SU. Wife and I just changed jobs from private practice to attending staff at the Syracuse VA Med Center.

City Snake: Absolutely right! How many vette owners have ever really driven a viper? Hopping in one for a drive down the street doesn't come close to actually driving one as it was designed to be driven. Mine were always driven hard and put up wet, but always well taken care of. She really was my 'other woman', the Z06 is just a nice car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike and Julie: Just moved from Utica to Jamesville less than 2 miles east of the Manley field house at SU. Wife and I just changed jobs from private practice to attending staff at the Syracuse VA Med Center.]

VERY cool...I know where the Manley Field House is at SU...congrats on your jobs at the VA...one of the best in our State. Jamesville has a lovely beach, with the balloon fest every year...beautiful there. I am from Baldwinsville/Cato area (west of Syracuse).
Nice to know others in my home area!! Hope to meet up someday! ~juli

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My good friend and business asso. has been a Vette guy for years. When I got my 05 Commemorative Edition, he asked if he could drive it (with me in the car of course!) and we didn't drive more than 3 miles and he said.....I HAVE TO GET A VIPER! That about says it all!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks, I have agonized over ordering an 08 and finally made a decision to do it. I have had a tough time getiing confirmation of the order; however I did receive a vm tonight from the dealer he has a verbal confirmation for an allocation and I will be getting final confirmation, build date next week. As this has developed, I have looked at new Corvettes thinking if the 08 did not materialize I may take a more serious look. I would not even dare to compare the Vette to the Viper, but if you are open minded and put the Vette in perspective for what it is, I would not mind having one for a while anyway. But, that was just a thought. My wife and daughters were giving me a rough time about driving a Vette. I told them not to worry, I would buy a gold chain and fit right in.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats sad that you sold the viper for mid forties and bought the C6 Zo6 and are not thrilled with it.

Best of luck and just curious wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy her a C6 coupe for herself? and you keep the mamba?

Anyways..best of luck

Fwiw I've driven both the vette and the viper and your right.. The viper is a totally different experience. Hard to deny that fact but rather embrace it.

The Vette is a good daily driver where the viper is more of a weekend car.. (can be used everyday though but rarely is for some reason) Sounds like you were though..Congratulations on that fact and hope you begin to enjoy your new Z06 more and more..

BTW...I think the guy who got your viper for mid forties was one lucky guy!

JB

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mentioned before that I believe much of the comparative problem is that MOST Viper owners have driven and MANY have previously owned Vettes. I'd bet that very few Vette owners have actually ever driven a Viper.

We speak from experience, while they speak more from print.

I don't think people will argue over which is the more 'WOW' car but people usually compare the cars speed/acceleration wise. I am a regular at E-town and sad to say the '06-'07 Z06 has been king of the track the past two years. Have personally seen 11.3-11.5 in stock form. Hopefully the '08 Viper will regain the 'track title' again!!!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know all about keeping the wife happy, but thankfully mine was happy to get a XKR for herself and go *******. Me, I'm keeping the GTS. However, I'd have been all over that mamba for that price. Best of luck and I hope your back in a Viper soooooooon!!

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best of luck and just curious wouldn't it have been cheaper to just buy her a C6 coupe for herself? and you keep the mamba?

This would have been my suggestion. Keep the Mamba and buy her a nice used vette. :2tu: There are a trillion of them for sale everywhere. :D Then you would have the best of both worlds. Mamba for nice weekend days and the Vette for everyday use.:2tu: I bet she would of been happy with that.:D :D :D

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts on this I have a wife and won't ever trade her in, I am spoiled. I own a Vette 1999 very nice car I gave it to my wife when I bought a Viper 04. Now here is the real deal.... When we go for a ride I ask her what car does she want to take..... the answer is always the Viper..... Even though she wears a corvette cap. She loves to ride.