06 Coupes - Daily Driver?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I'm posting for the first time because I'm getting close to the point where I can finally get a SRT-10 coupe (Christmas present for myself hopefully) but my main concern is with how it would be as a daily driver. I live in Dallas, and sit in traffic a lot (25 miles traveled in 1 hour sometimes, just one direction) and of course the stop & go. I've heard the inside can get pretty hot, so just how hot and unbearable is this? Does the car buck at all?

I also drive my cars a lot, and typically very hard, so would the SRT-10 be able to put up with this in the long run? I've got about 30k miles on my current "daily" but I also drive 2 other cars to work, along with my motorcycle, so it could realistically see 20k miles a year. I had the opportunity to borrow a friends 07 Z06 for a week, and found that it handled the daily grind without issue. It just doesn't stand out like a Viper does, and I'm in love with the shape of the 06 Coupes. I would just hate to spend $65k on my dream Viper, and have to sell it a few months down the road because it wasn't cut out for daily driver duties.

I'm also hoping that a VOI9 car will come up for sale next month. The one on ebay ($65k) is exactly what I wanted, but just one month too soon.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jason

P.S. Do SRT-10 owners burn their calves a lot? I tried getting out of a 03 SRT-10, and could not seem to avoid using my calf resting on the side sill as a means of leverage to get out of the car.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it can be daily driven.
No it doesnt have all the creature comforts that some want for a daily driver.
Remember theres alot of torque and no traction control, if your driving year round and faced with bad winters.

The car is bullet proof in my opinion, you can easily put 20k a year on it. I dont personally like it in stop and go traffic. I was stuck in L.A. once and it was a pain in stop and go.

Other then that, its a blast to drive and a dream come true for me. I look forward to the time im in it. Though I dont daily drive mine, I thought id only do 3-5k a year. I did roughly 10k miles in it my first year.

The exhaust temp is greatly reduced by changin exhaust and get rid of cats, run none or hi-flows. I can grab my side sills after a long hard drive and not get burned.
I definately would not have it as my only car.

RainMaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did drive mine to work a few times. I mostly did it with the top down and averaged 45-65mph on the freeway. I had a short commute so it wasn't too bad.

MikeR is right in that it doesn't have the creature comforts of let say your friends 07 Z06.
At one time I also had a DSOM 06 Z06 and would prefer to have used that as the daily driver. You MAY experience heat if you get stuck in traffic. In regards to the sills, just be cautious that it does get hot. My wife has burned herself on the sills when she was getting out the first few times.

No car is fun if you are in a standstill caught up in traffic.

The Viper does have the looks and feel that will make it noticeably different than your friends Corvette.

Good Luck on your search!

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
u can daily drive it, but dont forget the dismal MPG, if thats an issue for u.
i think i average abt 165 miles per tank of gas....

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
u can daily drive it, but dont forget the dismal MPG, if thats an issue for u.
i think i average abt 165 miles per tank of gas....

Well, it is something I do like to consider :) . 165 miles on how many gallons of gas? I figured most Vipers would average 16-17mpg. I didn't do a search on MPG, but figured it wasn't something a lot of people worry about. I'm sure most have a pocket deeper than mine.

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after a couple of weeks with my 06 Coupe - I really do not see why it could not be a daily driver. I used my 00 and 01 Vettes as daily drivers initially and IMHO the Viper is not different in that aspect. All the nonsense I heard from many Vette and other car owners before I made the purchase was exactly that - pure nonsense. The sills do not burn you. The car is very comfortable and it a blast to drive. Yeah - the gas is not as good as the Vette but heh....are we really all that worried about gas prices considering the amount that we paid for our cars?? Come on - give me a break. Yes, the car is not a Cadillac, BMW or Mercedes - but I have never really cared for those cars to being with. Just my .02cents

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ths issue comes up as much as any other and after 13 yrs of 4 Vipers and having driven them all on occassion to work they do NOT make good daily drivers IMO because:

1.You are never comfortable parking it while at work (and I have indoor parking with security)

2.There are days where the weather is crappy, and the car is not a good bad weather driver plus it gets a beautiful car messy

3.It gets too much attention in rush hr traffic and folks are constantly in your blind spots etc

4.There will be times when you need to stop on the way home to pick things up and they will be at places you don't want to have it out of eyesight.

5There may be times when you have to cart things around or people that won't fit in the car.

6.You will enjoy/appreciate the Viper if not in it every day--it is not a beast of burden

I have always used Vettes , SUVs and caddys as daily drivers. The Vettes have more creature comforts. Right now I am using the supercharged Caddy XLR-V which has lots of power and is also comfortable. Good luck

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you have other cars, it should be no problem. Change out the stock exhaust for a Corsa cat back. Sounds better. Reduces heat inside the car by eliminating the stock crossover pipes. ( The 2008 does not have crossovers.)

Don't ride the clutch too much in the stop and go traffic. Put it in neutral when you can. Use your rear view mirror to determine when the driver in back of you is staring at your car and not braking when he or she should. I use a fast rapid tapping on my brake pedal to snap them out of their trance. Leave extra room in front of you for the same reason - but not enough for the usual lane changing a**h*le to squeeze in front of you from another lane. Learn to give a good "Clint Eastwood smile" when drivers or their passengers take photos of you and the car as they pull up beside you. Have fun!

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I'm used to the whole gawking thing, as this is what I take to work as long as it's not raining and 30 degrees outside.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It's not the most comfortable thing, but I love speed (built motor and turbo). The Viper/Z06 is the only thing I would give up for it. Too bad I'm giving up 30+ MPG for 10(?)MPG. Trust me, I know what it's like to be a sitting target, especially in bad traffic.

Jason

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been driving my '06 coupe to work about twice a week. 40 miles round trip, in slight Houston traffic. It doesn't get hot inside of the car unless you have the A/C off. Sills never get hot enough to burn your leg, only the area right next to the tip exit gets hot. The sills themselves are hot, but not hot enough to burn you. Maybe if you left your leg against them for a few minutes, that might burn you.

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 Coupe has a Corsa Cat Back. I drove it from Sebring to Miami (3 hours). After 30 minutes I put in my ear plugs. The Corsa sounds great but on long drives the sound can get to you. Short drives are great. I have fun driving it occassionally to work. I have another car that collects my miles. Safe parking is my biggest concern. Its not as comfortable as a vette for daily driving but heck I knew that when I bought it. Get it and drive it as much as you can. It will be a decision you will never regret. Since it will be a daily driver I suggest your extend warranty as much as they will allow you.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know, I heard so many bad things about the Viper before I bought mine and the negative responses all came from people who had never even been in a Viper. I had always loved the look and attitude of the Viper before I bought mine and thus went in with a positive attitude. Well, once it was delivered, the only problem I had was getting the smile off of my face. I heard the same thing, oh you will burn your legs when you get out of the car, the car gets too hot in the cab, the ride is rough, yadda yadda yadda. Well, the ride may not be as smooth as a Corvette but then again, this is a car that you "can" drive to the track and then drive it home. It isn't a car where the people are going to give praise because it has a cup holder, seat warmers, etc. I have found that the seats are warmed from my adrenaline that is flowing in excess just getting behind the wheel. You can flog the heck out of the car and it will pretty much take more than you can dish out. If you want to get a good look at some of the local vipers simply show up at one of our club meetings and see why people who own Vipers love their cars. Once you get in one or drive one, you will have to get one.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ths issue comes up as much as any other and after 13 yrs of 4 Vipers and having driven them all on occassion to work they do NOT make good daily drivers IMO because:

1..You are never comfortable parking it while at work (and I have indoor parking with security)

2..There are days where the weather is crappy, and the car is not a good bad weather driver plus it gets a beautiful car messy

3..It gets too much attention in rush hr traffic and folks are constantly in your blind spots etc

4..There will be times when you need to stop on the way home to pick things up and they will be at places you don't want to have it out of eyesight.

5..There may be times when you have to cart things around or people that won't fit in the car.

6.You will enjoy/appreciate the Viper if not in it every day--it is not a beast of burden

........Good luck

All the above are 100% True. That said, only YOU know if traffic and parking and errands are NOT an issue for you. Blind-Spot-Cam-Phones will ALWAYS be a pain. When I had the 'office grind' I drove almost daily for 6 years, and parked visibly within 5 feet of my desk! If I knew I had "meetings" elsewhere, I drove SOB-SOD. (Some Other Dodge-Brand)

Hi-Flow cats and exhaust will take SILL HEAT issues out of the list of concerns.

If you have to limit your driving, NO WORRIES. if this must be your ONLY work car...probably a bad choice due to 1-6 above unless they dont apply to you

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 06 Coupe has a Corsa Cat Back. I drove it from Sebring to Miami (3 hours). After 30 minutes I put in my ear plugs. The Corsa sounds great but on long drives the sound can get to you. Short drives are great. I have fun driving it occassionally to work. I have another car that collects my miles. Safe parking is my biggest concern. Its not as comfortable as a vette for daily driving but heck I knew that when I bought it. Get it and drive it as much as you can. It will be a decision you will never regret. Since it will be a daily driver I suggest your extend warranty as much as they will allow you.

It sounds like you were not in sixth gear. My vehicle is supercharged and has a Corsa cat back exhaust. In sixth gear on the highway sound is not an issue.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can flog the heck out of the car and it will pretty much take more than you can dish out. If you want to get a good look at some of the local vipers simply show up at one of our club meetings and see why people who own Vipers love their cars. Once you get in one or drive one, you will have to get one.

Well, I would love to get a ride in one, and even drive one before I make my choice, but I've never been one to just ask a perfect stranger something like that. Plus, I'm sure most people would think twice before letting a 25 year old drive a Viper. I've been contemplating renting one, but $600/one day is a waste of $$ to me.

If any local Viper owners are interested in giving me a ride, PM me.

BTW, what are most people getting with fuel economy on these cars, 12mpg? I just have to ask.

Jason

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I would love to get a ride in one, and even drive one before I make my choice, but I've never been one to just ask a perfect stranger something like that. Plus, I'm sure most people would think twice before letting a 25 year old drive a Viper. I've been contemplating renting one, but $600/one day is a waste of $$ to me.

If any local Viper owners are interested in giving me a ride, PM me.

BTW, what are most people getting with fuel economy on these cars, 12mpg? I just have to ask.

Jason

Your buying a $65K car, how is renting for a day a waste of money? I would be to nervous about parking, having to stop for errands...if that doesn't bother you than make it your daily driver.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your buying a $65K car, how is renting for a day a waste of money? I would be to nervous about parking, having to stop for errands...if that doesn't bother you than make it your daily driver.

That's $600 for mods that I'm throwing away :) not to mention a large portion of one month's payment! I also alternate my daily driving between my 06 Lexus GS430, and a 05 BMW M3, and I'm extremely anal about them. I have secured parking, so not worried about that at all. I'm just researching as much about Vipers before I pull the trigger. I've never purchased anything without test driving it first, and it makes me a little nervous.

Jason

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My gas mileage is about 10mpg around town and playing with buddies in the hills or on the freeways. If you get opne road and cruise the freeway in 6th gear you can get close to 18-20mpg.

And like others said, just have another car available. You may drive the Viper 360 days a year, but those other 5 its nice to have something else. I go alot of places in mine I thought I never would. Ive taken it to the moives,mall, Home deopt,etc. Im just careful were I park.Just dont go to home Depot, forget your in the Viper load the cart up and then when your about to pay remeber your in the Viper and half the stuff wont fit. :D

Other then that , Id love to drive mine EVERY day. Its that fun. Constant smile on your face. But it is nice to get into one of our other cars once in awhile, for a smoothe quiet,luxury ride. It makes you appreciate your cars for their different purposes.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gas mileage is about 10mpg around town and playing with buddies in the hills or on the freeways. If you get opne road and cruise the freeway in 6th gear you can get close to 18-20mpg.

Yeah, I would only get rid of my motorcycle, the other cars would stay, as well as another ****** (98 Camry). Please tell me the 10mpg is because of the mods you have to your car, and not the norm among Viper owners. That's a lot worse than I thought it would be. It might not be a huge deal to most other Viper owners, but $400/month just for gas in the Viper might be a little much.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving in moderate traffic is no problem, but stop and go traffic is pretty dismal. I've only done it a few times, but the Viper wants to buck in first gear so it's a difficult car to drive slow, in my opinion.

I wouldn't hesitate to daily drive it, though, as long as I could avoid stop and go traffic. It has easily been the most reliable car I've owned in the last 15 years.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that you might be interested in a 06 VOI 9 ? if so pm me.

622r109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
test drive one, youll thank me later. i have two 05 vipers and one 06 zo6, vipers are no daily driver car for what your looking to do. just my two cents

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I would only get rid of my motorcycle, the other cars would stay, as well as another ****** (98 Camry). Please tell me the 10mpg is because of the mods you have to your car, and not the norm among Viper owners. That's a lot worse than I thought it would be. It might not be a huge deal to most other Viper owners, but $400/month just for gas in the Viper might be a little much.
Its not so much the mods, but how you drive and if your around town driving. Even bone stock, I remeber cruising town, stop light to stop light , zipping over to a friends, rompining on it a little and getting 160 miles to a tank. Its a 18 gallon tank and Id fill before light came on, putting about 16 gallons back in= 10 mpg.
But if you had a 30 mile commute every day, was easy on it and put it into 6th gear, you could get close to 20 mpg. I was lucky enough to have 2 friends that had Vipers so I knew all this going into it, no suprises. I would have been shocked that my big truck got 13 mpg and Viper 10 mpg if I hadnt already known. But nobody buys Vipers for gas mileage, thats what hybrids are for. :D
SO Im not trying to be a ****, Im by no means rich myself, but if your worried about gas mileage, this may not be the car for you right now. Otherwise, split the commute between your other car and bike and the Viper gas mpg wont be that noticeable, drive it fridays to work and say on weekends. You will absolutely love the car....if your not stressing on how much everything is costing you.
Gas costs alot.
Mods cost alot.
All the women that you will get with this car...cost alot :lmao:

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not so much the mods, but how you drive and if your around town driving. Even bone stock, I remeber cruising town, stop light to stop light , zipping over to a friends, rompining on it a little and getting 160 miles to a tank. Its a 18 gallon tank and Id fill before light came on, putting about 16 gallons back in= 10 mpg.
But if you had a 30 mile commute every day, was easy on it and put it into 6th gear, you could get close to 20 mpg. I was lucky enough to have 2 friends that had Vipers so I knew all this going into it, no suprises. I would have been shocked that my big truck got 13 mpg and Viper 10 mpg if I hadnt already known. But nobody buys Vipers for gas mileage, thats what hybrids are for. :D
SO Im not trying to be a ****, Im by no means rich myself, but if your worried about gas mileage, this may not be the car for you right now. Otherwise, split the commute between your other car and bike and the Viper gas mpg wont be that noticeable, drive it fridays to work and say on weekends. You will absolutely love the car....if your not stressing on how much everything is costing you.
Gas costs alot.
Mods cost alot.
All the women that you will get with this car...cost alot :lmao:

I was on Viperalley, and Walt's finished UGR TT SRT Coupe practically sold me on the car. It's beautiful! I'm starting to realize that it might not be possible to drive it everyday, but I have enough cars available to drive otherwise, so it's not an issue. I'm just not much for garage queens, and if I spend the $$ on a Viper, I would want to drive it everywhere.

Were there ever any solid blue coupes made? The stripes are nice, but I prefer the solid colors.

I hate to start throwing mods on the Viper. I've put $25k on top of each of my first three cars and $30k on top of the bike. It's a sickness, and it wouldn't end until Heffner or UGR started requesting some of my organs for payment :)

BTW, I don't think an Enzo would get me a woman, haha :rolaugh:

Jason

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dirve my 06 coupe every day. It has corsa tracks and I have no probelms except if I am on one of those 10 short errand days. I used to have a another car to drive daily and just found that I avoided driving it because the Viper was so much more fun. I'm also in my 20s which I think gives me a higher tolerance to the more unpractical aspects of the Viper. I love it.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an '06 blue coupe for sale but it has the white stripes that you don't like. I'm just up the road and can deliver...;)

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '06 blue coupe for sale but it has the white stripes that you don't like. I'm just up the road and can deliver...;)

Well, solid blue is a preference, I have yet to see one for sale. Unfortunately, I was looking to get out for $65k at Christmas, which I guess is what the non-striped cars can go for, although rareguitar is selling his VOI9 for $65k. The market is hard to judge, especially when the 08 hits the lot. I have friends at Lamborghini Dallas that are keeping an eye out for a good deal, and all have advised me to wait until the 08's come out before making a purchase.

Jason

BTW B767Driver, after seeing Walt's car, I like the First Editions a lot, but from what I understand, there is a substantial edge where the stripes are painted, and it wasn't buried in the clear. Is this the case with your car?

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I don't mind taking you for a ride in the Viper. The best thing would be to come to one of our track days. Show me a car that can be driven hard and then driven home in the same condition. Be prepared, once you do there is no turning back.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, solid blue is a preference, I have yet to see one for sale. Unfortunately, I was looking to get out for $65k at Christmas, which I guess is what the non-striped cars can go for, although rareguitar is selling his VOI9 for $65k. The market is hard to judge, especially when the 08 hits the lot. I have friends at Lamborghini Dallas that are keeping an eye out for a good deal, and all have advised me to wait until the 08's come out before making a purchase.

Jason

BTW B767Driver, after seeing Walt's car, I like the First Editions a lot, but from what I understand, there is a substantial edge where the stripes are painted, and it wasn't buried in the clear. Is this the case with your car?

I have visited with Jonn H. at Lamborghini Dallas a few times. Nice folks...I wouldn't call the edge substantial by any means. You can feel it but, overall, I think they do a great job on the stripes...