08 break squealers and changing to stop-techs

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was reading over the SRT engineers posting about changing an 08 rotor to that of the ACR and they mentioned removing the squealer ...

I am wondering if this also applies if you change out stock 08 rotors to Stop-Tech rotors?

Thanks!:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would expect that if you spend the money to buy new lightweight rotors you'd also be spending the extra money to buy better/more suitable brake pads, like I did.

Ted

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they mentioned you can change the location of the squeler to the inboad side. Check the post again.

Was reading over the SRT engineers posting about changing an 08 rotor to that of the ACR and they mentioned removing the squealer ...

I am wondering if this also applies if you change out stock 08 rotors to Stop-Tech rotors?

Thanks!:drive:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of us who chose the Eurotecks had to do the same. I just snipped them off (the squealers) on the side facing the rotor hat. Otherwise you will get a ticking sound every time the edge of the squealer hits the high point of the hat.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You WILL have to remove the squeelers. They are riveted to the pad. I took some needle nose pliers grab on to them and wiggled a couple times and it broke off nice and clean. If you dont remove them, you will scracth the hat of your new rotors.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My EBC reds and Euroteck rotors do not squeal. Try changing pads first, break them in properly.

OP
OP
V

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would expect that if you spend the money to buy new lightweight rotors you'd also be spending the extra money to buy better/more suitable brake pads, like I did.

Ted

What kind of pads did you buy?

The stock perform quite well ... for some reason it never crossed my mind on the squeallers before I read the SRT chat.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remove the squealers. I honestly like the stock pads. They are very good for street and even some track use. Or do like I do. I run stock pads on the street (sometimes the track too). But otherwise i change to a race pad for the track. Most other street pads out there specifically the low dust ones do not have enough bite like the stock pads do on the street.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched to the Stoptech 2-piece aerorotors on my 2008 and retained the same pads as stock. I do not know if my Viper tech had to remove the squealers but so far after about four driving schools I have had no problems or visible damage to the hats or rotors.

/Rich

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
StopTech 2pc Aero slotted/drilled rotors and stock pads perform just fine and removing the squealers isn't a problem.:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Less unsprung weight has small advantages in acceleration and braking. It does have bigger advantages in handling however. All 2 piece rotors come slotted and/or drilled for better brake performance as well. They usually come with curved cooling vanes in the rotors as well.

Ted

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all --

I checked my Viper with the 2-piece Stoptechs today for the "squealer" people have been discussing. Are the squealers little "U"-shaped sliver clips that look like they are attached to the pad itself? If so, I think mine are still attached but they do not appear to be causing any damage to the Stoptech aluminum rotor hats.

I will be bringing my car in for an oil service soon and will ask my Viper tech about this issue.

/Rich

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4