08 Coupe MOPAR performance Module

longrange4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys... not a regular poster here but I need some help. I have an 08 coupe that came with (from previous owner) the MOPAR performance module, B&B headers, etc... The issue I have here in VA is that it has to pass the OBD II emissions test. My mechanic here is telling me that the MOPAR module has three of the monitors turned off, so it will never show as "ready" for emissions inspection.

His reccomendation to me right now is to buy another CPU (Stock), get it to pass emissions, then put the other back in.... What are your thoughts?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe your mechanic is correct. YOu will have to reinstall the stock PCM to pass emissions.

Reaction score
You should still have the stock PCM somewhere I hope. It is no good to anyone unless put back in that car so hopefully you still have it. You will need to put a couple hundred miles on her before the test to set all the trims again.

OP
OP
L

longrange4u

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should still have the stock PCM somewhere I hope. It is no good to anyone unless put back in that car so hopefully you still have it. You will need to put a couple hundred miles on her before the test to set all the trims again.

I dont... it was done by the dealership by the previous owner. Computer is MIA...

Reaction score
Yea I talked with your mechanic this morning and strongly recommended to try and track the stock one down. Getting a flashed replacement without a core may be tough since it is mileage sensitive when being replaced by the factory. I would put an all out effort to locate the original.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As a curious bystander, what is the worst-case scenario and/or fix? Chrysler won't supply a stock PCM because of mileage? Would you have to document mileage by taking a photo of the odometer in the presence of a notary for them to supply you with a PCM?

Now that I think about it though, how does the aftermarket PCM get the car's mileage when installed? If it is "flashed" by the tech from the stock one, then why can't the aftermarket flash back to a new stock one? Or, another scenario. What happens if the car is vandalized, and the stock (or aftermarket) PCM is stolen?

This opens up alot of issues for any car I never thought about before, in the days of good old-fashioned mechanical odometers.

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a curious bystander, what is the worst-case scenario and/or fix? Chrysler won't supply a stock PCM because of mileage? Would you have to document mileage by taking a photo of the odometer in the presence of a notary for them to supply you with a PCM?

I'm kind of wondering about this myself. What if your original craps out? :confused:

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only a back up of mileage is kept in the PCM. Chrysler wants the "core" or pcm box and mother board so they can rebuild it. Without a core the computer will be a lot more expensive. The orginal computer has a vin programed in it and that can not be cleared by a dealer.

It will not start another car with a different vin, it is of no use to the orginal owner.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only a back up of mileage is kept in the PCM. Chrysler wants the "core" or pcm box and mother board so they can rebuild it. Without a core the computer will be a lot more expensive.

This answers one of the questions. Chrysler CAN give you a whole new computer, but you'll just pay through the nose, is this correct?