08 Exhaust

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You folks that have an 08 on order, order your Belanger exhaust now....it is a direct bolt on with the sensors in all the right places. The complete exhaust with the headers should bring 50 horses with it and no error codes:headbang:

Last edited:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You folks that have an 08 on order, order your Belanger exhaust now....it is a direct bolt on with the sensors in all the right places. The complete exhaust with the headers should bring 50 horses with it and no error codes:headbang:

PaViper --

Thanks for the post. I have ordered the Belanger/Mopar tubular headers for the 2008 Viper that are currently being completed by Lou Belanger and should ship shortly. I am still holding off on ordering an exhaust system to see if (1) Mopar will step up with a better product, (2) Mopar "adopts" the Belanger exhaust as its own (like they have done with the 2008 header package), or (3) if Mopar does not come up with something that is good AND not just for "off-road use only", I will go with the Belanger side pipe exhaust kit.

Can you share where you got this information as to a 50 hp gain?

Thanks again!

/Rich

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PaViper --...I have ordered the Belanger/Mopar tubular headers for the 2008 Viper that are currently being completed by Lou Belanger and should ship shortly. I am still holding off on ordering an exhaust system to see if (1) Mopar will step up with a better product, (2) Mopar "adopts" the Belanger exhaust as its own (like they have done with the 2008 header package), or (3) if Mopar does not come up with something that is good AND not just for "off-road use only", I will go with the Belanger side pipe exhaust kit.

Can you share where you got this information as to a 50 hp gain?.......Rich

RICH: Your forgot to mantion that as Belanger's largest vendor, PartsRack got you 2008 retail set # 0001, and it could ship TOMORROW...Monday latest. As I have stated before: Mopar almost certainly wont adopt the Belanger cat back; The 50HP figure is ESTIMATED for the complete sytem on prototype motors (and the 2008 F-16 race car) with feedback from Dodge and Mclaren. ONLY TWO SETS are installed anwhere, on prototype motors. There is NO MoPar part # for this header at this time.......but you cannot order ANY '08 parts from Dodge at this time!!!

PartsRack would VERY MUCH like to save you some money and time and send you a SYSTEM PACKAGE, rather than have you buy it ala-carte while waiting on a non-event. "Trust Me" and THANKS for your business

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See, this is crazy to me! I read the powerpoint presentation in detail, and they go into how awesome the stock headers and exhaust flows, and before the darn thing is out someone comes out with a 50hp header/exhaust package? I'm confused as to how this is possible, couldn't Dodge have just put a decent exhaust on there and get us to 650??? Maybe this thing has no cats, or isn't legal... I'm befuddled, nobody's got a car, and already I've got a slow one coming!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really is not crazy. My guess would be that the Belanger system being discussed is significantly louder than the 2008 stock system. ( More air flow usually means more noise.) As such it would not pass the appicable drive by sound requirements imposed on manufacturers. So, before ordering such a system, give serious consideration to whether you want more noise. Inner ears are not immune to damage from sound. Also, for the overwhelming majority of people, 600 HP is already on the edge or beyond what they can safely handle - especially without nannytech . Based on what I have personally witnessed, the egos and pocketbooks of some Viper drivers are way beyond their respective driving skill sets.

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really is not crazy. My guess would be that the Belanger system being discussed is significantly louder than the 2008 stock system. ( More air flow usually means more noise.) As such it would not pass the appicable drive by sound requirements imposed on manufacturers. So, before ordering such a system, give serious consideration to whether you want more noise. Inner ears are not immune to damage from sound. Also, for the overwhelming majority of people, 600 HP is already on the edge or beyond what they can safely handle - especially without nannytech . Based on what I have personally witnessed, the egos and pocketbooks of some Viper drivers are way beyond their respective driving skill sets.

My guess is you are exactly right on the reasoning for not being available from the factory, a lot of effort went into making the car pass the more stringent drive-by laws... as far as the sound, based off the feed back from the person that is driving one of the two installed sets, he says "it's the sweetest sounding Viper he has ever driven". My information is second hand, but from someone that has never steered me wrong, and is in contact with these folks on a regular basis.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No offense, but I would really doubt that adding headers to the 08 will add 50 horses. The 08 is already without crossovers and has a more efficient set of OE exhaust headers than the Gen III. We'll see.....

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB: Thanks for the post; before reading this thread I actually sent you an e-mail regarding the Belanger sidepipe exhaust and some other items.

ViperX: I also agree headers alone would not yield a 50 hp increase. Lou Belanger actually estimated a 40-50 hp increase with his headers combined with his sidepipe exhaust kit. If I was truly scientific I would baseline dyno my 2008 before install of these parts and again after but I will probably have my dealer install the headers and exhaust before I take delivery and then dyno the car after the fact.

/Rich

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to modify their 2008 viper before they have driven it and seen what it is capable of first. Guys, this is a new design viper and none of us really has any idea what mods will work until we drive it in its stock form and have analyzed the factory parts.

JMHO

Robbie

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to modify their 2008 viper before they have driven it and seen what it is capable of first. Guys, this is a new design viper and none of us really has any idea what mods will work until we drive it in its stock form and have analyzed the factory parts.

JMHO

Robbie

That is a silly question. For the same reason people order cars from Pemberton with a Paxton already on it or with headers / exhaust or any other mods on it.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you except this is a brand new edition viper with advanced engineering changes to the motor and drivtrain. Until one drives it and takes it apart there is no way to know what will work and what will not work. Except for the prototype no one has seen the final product so as to test it. One will not know what parts have been used in the final production 2008 viper until it arrives and has been analyzed.

Robbie

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the fact that they displayed the stock vehicle next to the one with the available modifications on it would lead people to believe that they would have produced it that way if they didn't have to adhere to gov regulations. I think the motor has more flow capacity than the stock exhaust can handle and meet drive by regs. We are not talking about major motor modifications here...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Racer Robbie,

A very few companies have worked with Dodge over the years , and those that have ( like Belanger ) are prone to quietly discussing improvements. The results from Lou are likely to be pretty similar as he is not one to boast. When we see scads of Tuner claims that they have been doing R & D for months, then you can run , as this is definitely not the case. For folks like Lou, who also work on the Comp Coupes and other developements, things are on the legitimate side. Sound issues are the reason it won't come from the factory ,as the new system is already a bit louder than the Gen IIIs and it is likely a bit on the borderline.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the fact that they displayed the stock vehicle next to the one with the available modifications on it would lead people to believe that they would have produced it that way if they didn't have to adhere to gov regulations. I think the motor has more flow capacity than the stock exhaust can handle and meet drive by regs. We are not talking about major motor modifications here...

The Spring '07 Viper Magazine covered the 675HP/650TQ Viper the SRT team built ...seems like there's plenty more power to be had but at what cost? Among the upgrades listed were Tubular Exhaust Header Package, Hi-Flow catback, cold air system, titanium valves and connecting rods, Cast Litex Pistons and Lightened Crankshaft, Hi-Flow Intake Manifold. Digging into the engine seems like a major modification.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Trader, dang no BMW M6 Smiley:dunno: :D

Reaction score
I also believe what I have heard from Lou and will also be stocking 6-10 sets for installation on the first set of 08' cars we get in. We are very confident the bolt on and go will be a huge seller and the power will be worth the expense.

Order yours now and we will give a break on the install of your headers also when purchasing a car through Billy P. ;)

Thanks,

Mark Jorgensen

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you except this is a brand new edition viper with advanced engineering changes to the motor and drivtrain. Until one drives it and takes it apart there is no way to know what will work and what will not work. Except for the prototype no one has seen the final product so as to test it. One will not know what parts have been used in the final production 2008 viper until it arrives and has been analyzed.

Robbie

Robbie --

Ordinarily I would agree but in this case the Mopar tubular headers have been installed on at least two 2008 motors and have been dyno tested by McLaren. Without getting into too much detail, Lou Belanger shared that there were significant gains with the 2008 Mopar/Belanger headers combined with his sidepipe exhaust kit. He also shared the good news that dyno testing of the stock 2008 motor shows that the 600 hp rating is somewhat conservative. At any rate, I guess I am happy to serve as a guinea pig for these modifications. Although I will not have a chance to do a baseline dyno of the car, I will dyno the car after the mods and try to post them here. Unfortunately, I ordered my 2008 with a two-tone blue and black interior and the graphite dash bezel so this will delay the build of my car to at least October. Hopefully, someone on this board will be getting a 2008 in September with these same modifications and can report sooner.

/Rich

OP
OP
P

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Spring '07 Viper Magazine covered the 675HP/650TQ Viper the SRT team built ...seems like there's plenty more power to be had but at what cost? Among the upgrades listed were Tubular Exhaust Header Package, Hi-Flow catback, cold air system, titanium valves and connecting rods, Cast Litex Pistons and Lightened Crankshaft, Hi-Flow Intake Manifold. Digging into the engine seems like a major modification.

No disagreement here, my original post was for the Belanger exhaust only, and that is what I was referring to when I said "no major modifications", if I could pick up 50 hp by changing my exhaust, I would be all over it.

Reaction score
You WILL be able to see these gains with the bolt on exhaust. That is the word from reliable sources at Belanger and Mclaren. The headers had to be detuned for the stock controller to work so you know they used up all the extra the PCM had. I think they will be a very safe bet on the boosted HP numbers.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No disagreement here, my original post was for the Belanger exhaust only, and that is what I was referring to when I said "no major modifications", if I could pick up 50 hp by changing my exhaust, I would be all over it.

Agreed. If the Belanger Headers/Catback deliver ~50HP than the rest of the mods I listed earlier would deliver ~25HP??? Hmm...

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boost? When does anyone think a reliable boost system will be out for these cars? Rumor has it those PCMs are going to be a nightmare to crack, way to complicated for someone to expect boost for a while for the 08's.

But Bolt on NA mods that make good power definitely sound like the ticket!!

Jon

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

JMHO Robbie

1) Belanger knows, because he has worked directly w/ Mclaren and SRT on the show car and F-16 car. "Analyzed the factory parts" and more! I saw it and heard it and liked it a lot.

2) When a new model or engine comes out, we (collectively) have waited YEARS to get some after-market products. The cliche I coined long ago was "Viper-Ware or Vapor-ware." When finally available, pent-up demand then causes supply problems.

3) GOOD FOR BELANGER for doing the R+D early, building the products, and having them available early thru vendors like Woodhouse and PartsRack. Thanks, Lou ! We've sold 0001 and 0002, and are making more. PHOTOS OF RCLs # 0001 and its cats-cat-back to be posted soon. He has added some custom BAT-TIPS to 0001 that will be sleeper-cool. Literally.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the Belanger system (courtesy Jon B. - www.PartsRack.com ):

untitled5855.JPG

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol even with 600hp people still wants more ! thats why i love this community :headbang:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the headers installed on a SRT-McLaren V10:

You must be registered for see images attach