08 Hood Install

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kala-I edited the post because I was afraid that Jon B may get a halo and it would not be as much fun when I call him on Monday.;)

I am getting in deep trouble here--Jonb will want the hood back now.

He gets a Halo, for the death defying leap into traffic on PCH @ Hearst Castle! Jon stopped traffic both ways, so all 61 Vipers could head south in one group!
I wish I had photos of that to share with you :omg:

Personally I don't bug Jon on Monday's. If a call is necessary, I have my PA Kendall call :lmao::lmao:

If you don't post by this afternoon, we'll send out a search team :2tu:

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my 2¢. I would taper the stripes like the 08. In your case they would be a bit fatter at the hood edge and then narrower at the front facia. By tapering them you accent the hood lines, and the stripes don't go through the vents. Alittle bit more work but a much better look.
Good Luck! Looks great.

viper_hood_copy.jpg

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Rolstar, I think your right on - and your picture looks perfect. The challenge being is that would require the removal and repaint of the bumper cover for all of those that already have stripes.

Here's my 2¢. I would taper the stripes like the 08. In your case they would be a bit fatter at the hood edge and then narrower at the front facia. By tapering them you accent the hood lines, and the stripes don't go through the vents. Alittle bit more work but a much better look.
Good Luck! Looks great.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Rolstar--looks great--good photo shop

I am afraid the hood is to far along to make a change. If I had it to do over again I would probably do it this way. I would loose the 3m on the bumper.

Last edited:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hesitate to say this, because I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings, but this thread pretty much reinforced that I wont be buying an 08 hood for my STRIPED 06.

It seems Dodge did the right thing by making them narrow on the 08s to accomodate this hood, but if you put it on the 06 with stock stripes, its going to take a serious repaint to make it work. I think the band-aids people want to do to get the geomety of the look right, just don't look as good as either an 06 oem or an 08 oem. I think if you have stripes, you should accept how beautiful our cars are as is, and if you dont have stripes, then the 08 hood is a great option. I for one am keeping my hood as is, with the original stripes.

Thanks folks for showing all this!

Jon

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hiss,

I'm not feeling the tapered stripes. The wide, bold stripes stripes from your '06 car will look great. Light a fire under your painter... can't wait to see the pics.... LOL

take care

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The painter has looked at and studied both tapered and wider stripes and he likes the wider the best.

The stripes are being sprayed today and the paint is matching very good. I hope to have the Viper finished by the end of the week. He is taking his time, which is good, because he wants do do a good job.

One of the grills may be installed tomorrow and Patrick wants me to come by and choose the grill color. He first wants to show me how an installed polished grill will look and then move to the black or blue color.

The painter is a younger man whose father died about a year ago. His father was THE best painter around so Patrick learned from the master. I trust him completely. It will be done right.

I think this mod will be like a few of my other mods- one that will have to be seen in person to appreciate it.

Jon-no problem-I thank you for your response.

When all is said and done it comes down to what a person likes or does not like. Shoot - never thought I would like a blue car. But when I saw this one in person I had to have it.

Last edited:

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hesitate to say this, because I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings, but this thread pretty much reinforced that I wont be buying an 08 hood for my STRIPED 06.

It seems Dodge did the right thing by making them narrow on the 08s to accomodate this hood, but if you put it on the 06 with stock stripes, its going to take a serious repaint to make it work. I think the band-aids people want to do to get the geomety of the look right, just don't look as good as either an 06 oem or an 08 oem. I think if you have stripes, you should accept how beautiful our cars are as is, and if you dont have stripes, then the 08 hood is a great option. I for one am keeping my hood as is, with the original stripes.

Thanks folks for showing all this!

Jon

With that post, this would be the hood for you (If you wanted to change it).

A mix of characteristics of both the 06 and the 08 hood, and the 06 stripes would line up perfectly.

SRT Hood

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see that confirmed with painted stripes. I think the 08 issue just arose because of Hiss being an early adopter. Did anyone put stripes on this other hood?

I'm also not trying to hi jack this thread, its not about other hoods, its about the 08 on the 06 cars.

In any case, Hiss is correct, its all in the eye of the beholder (and owner) in this case :)

Jon

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Jon,

You can call Jeff Lemke directly and he will give you the straight scoop on the hoods - as he has both there to compare and contrast to. One of his design objectives was have an '08 inspired hood that would be compatible with Gen 3 SRT stripes.

I am currently in the process of building a Street Serpent using Jeff's aero body kit and I can attest to the fact that the quality on his products is very, very good. That being said - I don't believe his hood is "prime and paint" and might require minor attention, especially on the underside, to get it to be 100% perfect. It is very light when compared to the standard hood and it has to help with underhood heat! Should look killer when done as well.

lemke_hood_11_02.JPG

Hope this helps.

John

I'd like to see that confirmed with painted stripes. I think the 08 issue just arose because of Hiss being an early adopter. Did anyone put stripes on this other hood?

I'm also not trying to hi jack this thread, its not about other hoods, its about the 08 on the 06 cars.

In any case, Hiss is correct, its all in the eye of the beholder (and owner) in this case :)

Jon

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon you are not hijacking I appreciate your comments.

I may be wrong but the after market hoods also have the vents located toward the front of the hood which means the wider 06 stripes, in order to match up with 06 bumper stripes, will possibly have to go over the corner of a vent unless you taper the hood stripes and repaint the front bumper.

I have not seen the other hoods in person but looking at pics they look great. It just seems like all the hoods including the Mopar are not going to have a perfect style flow if one uses the wider 06 stripes. But I still believe it will look fine and one will have a more aggressive look and also better air flow characteristics as JonB mentioned in a post above.

BTW I believe Kala got the hood pad today.

It won't be long - Hope I will find out a little more tomorrow when I go by the shop and check things out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should be getting the pad, without clips, any day so I don't have the part # your looking for. The body shop told me they have plenty of fasteners or clips that will work. kala received her hood pad and may be able to give info on the #.

The pad does not have the Viper logo on it so I may, like Kala, have some one free hand and paint the Viper logo.

The stripes will be done on my hood tomorrow morning and the painter invited me to come over and watch him do the painting. It will be Monday before the grills are made and installed.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I get the clips for the new hood pad for the 08? Is there a part #

I don't have the clips. My painter guy, seemed to think he had the correct clips to install the pad. As far as I'm concerned, if need be the ones from the 06 pad could be scavenged if necessary.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are planning to paint "the Logo" on the new pad. If anyone has a large high Rez image I would appreciate it!

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local hardware store also has clips that will work.

Kala-keep me posted on the logo. I don't know of any one that can do this in my area. Seems like I remember reading a thread about someone that does this kind of work?? Hope I can find it.

I was hoping the pad would have the logo-then it would be easy to tape off and paint.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from body shop-will be going back later to see stripes painted on. The blue really matches very good so no blending needs to be done. This painter does his own mixing, he does not have the Viper scanned , and is noted for being very good at this.

I had the option of tapering the stripes but the painter and I like the complete wider stripe the best.

Got the pad today and made a local call to a guy who can free hand and paint the logo.

The painter suggest to paint the valve covers Viper blue. I have tried to find a pic of a Blue Viper with blue Valve covers but no luck. Could any one post a pic??

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting that the ACR will be running the stock hood without the hood pad. Therefore they must not be too concerned about the heat and affects on the hood. They mention in the video that the hood pad is to cancel noise. I think I may take mine off.

OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader your right-with those big vents and the small pad I doubt there will be much noise reduction.

I took the pad to have logo painted on but I bet before long I will probably be running without the pad. He told me if I did not use the pad that he would paint the logo on inside of the hood.

I ran my viper some last summer without the 06 pad and no problems.

The painter wanted me there today to see them tape for the stripes. Its looking very good and he has also given very good attention to the inside part of the hood. With a few other things being painted it will probably be Tuesday before it is finished. I really like the way Patrick is keeping me posted.

I took him some pics of the new ACR(what a Viper:drooler:)-and he wants me to get the rear wing. Don't know about that.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When installing the pad, don't for get to connect the Ground Straps:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s.../607489-ground-strap-across-hood-chopped.html

Ron

I wonder if there is a different ground ran for the PCM, ABS etc, on the 08???

Chuck Tator in the above thread said the hood pad was a ground for some very important equipment :omg:

I was rushing to get my hood pad installed, maybe its just a matter of running another ground wire somewhere?
Stock is ran from the hood to the cowl, then down to the wiper motor.
Anyone have a clue?

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a hood on the way from Jon B. Eddie is doing the hood and front bumper to match. I will post Pics when it is done.
Jerry

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a hood on the way from Jon B. Eddie is doing the hood and front bumper to match. I will post Pics when it is done.
Jerry
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the hood? I tried to PM but you are not accepting PM's.

viperjer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eddie Martin ordered it for me. I thought he said $1695 but I have seen OEM hoods on eBAY FOR $1250 TO $1395 so I am not sure what that includes.:dunno:
Sorry

You had better call him to make sure. I don't want to give you bad info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1395 plus shipping from JonB--Hood pad and grills extra. Already have received the pad and had logo painted on. It will be sometime before Dodge will have the grills ready so I purchased the grills local and the body shop will be installing them. The Viper should be ready any day. The shop is taking their time and making sure everthing is done right.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be for sure be getting the 08 hood, is the best looking hood for the viper yet no question. Once the Vent issue is worked out, I will order it. It must look like this though, I will accept nothing less, of course not the same color hood, but the clips, and hood grills last I heard need to be worked out to look like this(correct if I am wrong), I have nothing but time, and have no problem waiting for the perfect product. Also I dont have to worry about stripes so that is not an issue.

Vented_Hood.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned two grill pieces 8" by 4', with same pattern in above post, were purchased. 6 pieces will be cut, painted and fitted to the vents. The underside of the hood has holes for each grill to be attached to the vents with screws or clips. As mentioned in a post on this thread we will determined what color will look the best for the vents-black ,polished or viper blue -probably be black.

Went by the body shop and got my camera so I could upload a few pics. Since I am having the valve covers and the calipers painted Viper Blue and one more coat of clear will be sprayed on the hood it will be Monday or Tuesday before Viper is finished. The painter has already put 3 coats of blue and clear and the paint will be a perfect match.

A local man painted the Viper logo on the hood pad. For free hand painting I thought he did a good job.

Instead of tapering the stripes and repainting the bumper and loosing the 3m I went with the wider 06 stripes. If you purchase a 08 hood for the 06 Viper with stripes - the stripes are simply going to have to be what you like the best wide or tapered. Personally I like the wide 06 strip especially after seeing it in person.

Sorry but the lighting gives a lot reflections on the hood

100_7184.JPG

100_7179_edited-1.jpg

100_7180_edited-1.jpg

100_7182_edited-1.jpg

100_7183_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 06blue

Going to be interesting to see how Viper performs especially with the SC. The SC produces more engine bay heat but with those big vents extracting the heat-their has to be better cooling and air flow. It wont be long till I find out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang