08 OEM Exhaust

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was waiting for my 2008 ACR to arrive, I thought to myself the first thing I'll replace would be the exhaust, just didn't know which one to get - cat back or go with the Belanger headers and exhaust system. But then after driving the ACR for a few weeks now, I must say this has got to be one of the best sounding factory OEM exhaust system out there and sounds as good as many aftermarket jobs. I'm not comparing this to Japanese imports but rather to other cars I've owned - F355 w/ Tubi, 360CS OEM exhaust w/ exhaust valve set to 1/3 open all the time, Ford GT w/ crossover pipes (no muffler). Here's a short sound clip from inside the car with the windows down.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bDHTv4ITI[/media]

I've heard the Corsa Track on a GenIII but I don't remember it being any better than this. For those '08 owners that have upgraded, what's your opinion of your aftermarket system?
Thanks.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 4, Belangers are the way to go. More power and just a little louder. ;)

Last edited:

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Belanger headers and exhaust on my '08 ACR and he sounds fantastic just tooling around town but he absolutely BELLOWS like an angry bull on the race track, very cool! I highly recommend the system. My check engine light came on some at first and I would go get my tech to clear it. Then it came on one time and I had no time to go get it cleared because I was at an out of town track for the weekend. The code cleared itself by the following morning and I haven't had it come on again since.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically unless you go with the BALLANDER set up any other systems can throw a check engine light (could open you up to a warranty problem )

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I put the Belanger headers and exhaust on my '08 ACR and he sounds fantastic just tooling around town but he absolutely BELLOWS like an angry bull on the race track, very cool! I highly recommend the system. My check engine light came on some at first and I would go get my tech to clear it. Then it came on one time and I had no time to go get it cleared because I was at an out of town track for the weekend. The code cleared itself by the following morning and I haven't had it come on again since.

If you leave em alone for 4-5 run cycles, the 'problem' can be re-evaluated by the PCM as perhaps 'no problem after all'.............. as you patiently discovered....

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't the Belangers have 1-3/4" inch primaries? In many other engines, that would be a little small considering the amount of power each Gen 4 cylinder is producing. I'm looking into 1-7/8" setups (which might cost me some power down low, not that I'll care).

By the way, what advantage do aftermarket mufflers have over the stockers (which I assume are straight-through)? Is the pipe diameter any different?

1BADGTS, Roe Racing has O2 sims they say work: CATS : Catalytic Converter Simulators : 96-06 Vipers & SRT-10 Ram Trucks - Exhaust Systems - Roe Racing

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the Belanger Headers and catback give any Drone in the cabin?
Claude

i would say no but this is always a subjective answer.....At coasting speed imho opinion there is no drone and even with mild acceleration there isn't any drone....

IMHO i found the 03 with hf cats and corsa to be more "annoying" on medium or longer trips , while the 08 with belangers doesn't bother me at all...Also the WOT of the belanger system sounds way better than my previous set up

some are recommending the belanger headers with the corsa exhaust but i have not heard this system...it does cost more and to me seems like an extra expense considering the sound of the belanger but that is another option for you

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The North Carolina region had a dyno day this past weekend and a new ACR with 1500 miles and Belanger headers and full exhaust pulled 582 rwhp on the dyno. Dynojet at Mayhem motorsports. 500 hp SRT 10 and coupe were pulling 433 and 432 for comparison.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 4, Belangers are the way to go. More power and just a little louder. ;)

Just a little louder! That's what I want to know, and 70HP gain. I'm almost convinced to do the Belanger. I've heard one sound clip but really need to hear it in person. Does anyone '08 in the Los Angeles area have the system that I can listen to?

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would rate my Belanger system as follows compaired to stock...

Start-up.....10% louder.
At idle.......5% louder.
Crusing......10% louder.
WOT..........20%-25% louder.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't the Belangers have 1-3/4" inch primaries? In many other engines, that would be a little small considering the amount of power each Gen 4 cylinder is producing. I'm looking into 1-7/8" setups (which might cost me some power down low, not that I'll care).

By the way, what advantage do aftermarket mufflers have over the stockers (which I assume are straight-through)? Is the pipe diameter any different?

1BADGTS, Roe Racing has O2 sims they say work: CATS : Catalytic Converter Simulators : 96-06 Vipers & SRT-10 Ram Trucks - Exhaust Systems - Roe Racing
IF Rowe will GUARANTEE that they will work on an 08 no problem however if not and a che engine light appears because of a customer add on perf part (depend on the dealer )factory warranty MAY be at risk.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bruce,

We had several 08's at our last Dyno Days, held at DC Performance in LA.

The 08's sound very good with the Belanger headers. They are quite a bit louder at full throttle but not too bad most of the time and relatively quiet at idle.

Dan

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Start-up.....10% louder.
At idle.......5% louder.
Crusing......10% louder.

I believe you are a bit (wildly) conservative with your estimates. IMO (a perfect reason to keep it to myself), the Belanger system is perfect for an ACR/track use. For everyday street purposes, you had better be prepared for being heard from miles around. Most love that...some don't. :dunno:

Of course if you're interested, Jon B's the man to call!

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Start-up.....10% louder.
At idle.......5% louder.
Crusing......10% louder.

I hope the setup is louder then that on an 05! I had an 04 Ram SRT-10 with catless mids and Magnaflow catback and thought that was perfect (a little stinky, but perfect). On my 05 I opted to order the full Belanger system (headers, cats and catback) without crossovers after speaking with Lou and John B. I wanted the car to be loud. The car is never a mode of transport but just a toy. That being said, its way to quite at idle and part throttle when stock. WOT is not to bad but I hate to open her up just to hear her, that can get kinda dangerous!! I guess I'll have to chime in once I get the system installed.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they look good , even the tips....heat shields are unwarranted...and don't forget the weight u loose over stock

V21.JPG

v2.JPG

Last edited:

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is definitely more drone using the Belanger system over stock. And it is significant. Sometimes even gives me a headache (this is with the top down in a vert and windows down also), but usually not (with windows up or top up). On a coupe, I wouldnt worry about it.
On the dyno, I gained 40-50hp depending on who you compare to and which dyno you use. 70 hp is a little bit of a reach. At any rpm, it sounds very mean and powerful, especially at WOT. Well worth it in my opinion. Id be very interested in hearing a belanger system with a corsa exhaust. That should take car of any drone worries while still preserving hp and possibly even exacerbating the growl. Although this would add a few more pounds because the corsa is stainless steel.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope the setup is louder then that on an 05! I had an 04 Ram SRT-10 with catless mids and Magnaflow catback and thought that was perfect (a little stinky, but perfect). On my 05 I opted to order the full Belanger system (headers, cats and catback) without crossovers after speaking with Lou and John B. I wanted the car to be loud. The car is never a mode of transport but just a toy. That being said, its way to quite at idle and part throttle when stock. WOT is not to bad but I hate to open her up just to hear her, that can get kinda dangerous!! I guess I'll have to chime in once I get the system installed.

I have a 05 SRT-10 Ram with headers, catless mids and Magnaflow also. My Viper quite a bit louder than the truck under WOT.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not get the 1-7/8; too big. I think you would lose some throttle response if you did this. The factory size is 1-1/2 which is too small in my opinion but SRT engineers said it was good for low end torque. I believe the optimal size is 1-5/8 to 1-3/4. Yes, it's a big motor but only because of the additional two cylinders; it's more like a small block with two additional cylinders. When sizing diameters, look at it from the cylinder size rather than the overall cubic inches.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 05 SRT-10 Ram with headers, catless mids and Magnaflow also. My Viper quite a bit louder than the truck under WOT.
That's scary, my truck would set off car alarms when just driving by under low rpms!! Thats quite a difference then just 25%!! I think these V-10's sound too tame from the factory, but with the right (or any) exhaust upgrades, they have an awesome and destinctive sound.

OP
OP
A

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the factory setup where that hot tips are tucked inside the sill, did anyone get burned by the exposed tips?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang