08 VIPER/ACR in NASA?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, LETS HOPE this isn't the year of missed opportunity for the Dodge Viper. I was the only Viper running in NASA in a joint 2 region event. IMO-We are HANDING the CHAMPIONSHIP to a Corvette or Porsche driver. I know there is an 08 ACR that's been delivered in the Ohio (Great Lakes/ MidWest regions) area and lots of 08's. Come on, its not too late! Fire up the 08s and kick some butt! Well, we can always brag about the car you have in the GARAGE while the other guys collect all the trophies! Are we THAT kind of car club??? :confused:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we had two guys here in the southeast that ran NASA, but they were verts and 03-06's, and got barred by their wives for a big crash. Both the 08's would go straight to TTU. Corvettes won like 5 or 6 classes of time trial last year, it would be nice to see a change.

And dont most guys that race vipers race with the VRL? Or Viper Days?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Days/VRL would be the venue to run in. You get to run the car as it came from the factory, the way it was designed, the way it was meant to run. No choking throttle plates, mandatory weights, tire sizes, etc. that all those other series' load onto the Viper so the Vettes and Porsches can keep up.

Just Vipers.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHAHA, in amatuer racing only trying to put the viper in SCCA stock type classes vs 400 hp Z06's will get a restrictor on it.

Nasa does power to weight ratio only. The Vipers fit just fine. At 6.9 or so (with a average sized driver) weight to power it can run TTU with the Porsches and Vettes and still have room to shed weight or add power or a combination of both to get to the top of the class at 5.5. Or run completely unrestricted in TTR. No excuses for anyone.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, there are no restrictor plates in NASA racing. Its all class based, and yes, the Viper would be in SU (race group) or TTU (Time Trial Unlimited) racing against Vettes and Porche GT3, etc. I have done lots of Viper Days events, which are great, but to run in Viper Racing League you need full race equip (full cage, fuel cell, etc). SCCA requires the same as does the NASA Race group. However, in NASA, its possible to run street version of the Viper against modded Vettes, GT3, 99*TT, etc., in the Time Trial groups. Like bluestreak said, there is no excuse not to sign up and DOMINATE! If only I had my hands on an 08! But at the end of the year, they have a National Championship where guys from all over compete in a year end event. I am hoping someone will show up from Dodge. Someone lend me a car, and I will do the job.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better have your game together, TTU is no joke. If you think showing up with a Viper and mediocre driving skills you'd better get some lesson. Porsche Cup cars are running TTU which I think is garbage, but nonetheless they are there along with some serious hardware in the form of a corvette.

Here's a good example of what's running in TTU. Better bring your A game, this car will likely be at Nationals. More DF than the ACR, 454 CI motor,620+ whp and everything else you can have.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That Vette, like many ACR Vipers, will likely be more car on the track than most owner/drivers have the skill to fully use. That Vette looks too shiny and unblemished to have been in the hands of a true track rat. My guess is that it spends more time double-parked in front of clubs and giving rides to ******* girls. That's one reason that I have never been a big fan of all-out 500HP+ race-spec cars unless you have spent the years of practice on the track to really 'walk the walk.' IMHO.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never said TTU was an easy goal, but this year, it should be claimed by a Viper. Danny Popp won it last year, and he was owned by the ACR in the OLA events. Check out the competition...One Lap of America - the Official Webpage I think we have the car...just need someone to step up to the plate. The Hennessey Viper could do it. :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, there are no restrictor plates in NASA racing. Its all class based, and yes, the Viper would be in SU (race group) or TTU (Time Trial Unlimited) racing against Vettes and Porche GT3, etc. I have done lots of Viper Days events, which are great, but to run in Viper Racing League you need full race equip (full cage, fuel cell, etc). SCCA requires the same as does the NASA Race group. However, in NASA, its possible to run street version of the Viper against modded Vettes, GT3, 99*TT, etc., in the Time Trial groups. Like bluestreak said, there is no excuse not to sign up and DOMINATE! If only I had my hands on an 08! But at the end of the year, they have a National Championship where guys from all over compete in a year end event. I am hoping someone will show up from Dodge. Someone lend me a car, and I will do the job.

From what I can tell of NASA's TT class it is similar to Viper Days Michelin Challenge isn't it, except it allows passing?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Vette, like many ACR Vipers, will likely be more car on the track than most owner/drivers have the skill to fully use. That Vette looks too shiny and unblemished to have been in the hands of a true track rat. My guess is that it spends more time double-parked in front of clubs and giving rides to ******* girls. That's one reason that I have never been a big fan of all-out 500HP+ race-spec cars unless you have spent the years of practice on the track to really 'walk the walk.' IMHO.

Actually that is MTI racings shop car, and it's their track developement car which is driven at MANY MANY track events in the southeast. You can see vids of it on their website. I know them so well because they tuned my corvette before I sold it. I have no idea how they keep it so clean, but that front splitter is not for show. And it's driven by a former World Challenge driver. It sees more track time than most anyone posting on these forums.

Trust me it walks the walk. Anyone who visits Road Atlanta, Barber or Roebling on a regular basis in the southeast has gotten passed by it on many occasions.

I never said TTU was an easy goal, but this year, it should be claimed by a Viper. Danny Popp won it last year, and he was owned by the ACR in the OLA events. Check out the competition...One Lap of America - the Official Webpage I think we have the car...just need someone to step up to the plate. The Hennessey Viper could do it. :2tu:

Danny wasnt even running his own car, I'd bet money his personal corvette would own that mongoose he was driving and would have been much closer to the ACR. dont forget the street car challenge where Danny was only a few seconds behind Tommy Archer in that full race car. No one is going to go to his home track and walk out without a fight, and I'm talking about some of the best Viper drivers. They also had some setup problems with the mongoose as it is newly developed and they didnt have much seat time in it. The Hennessey Viper could contend with Winkler driving it, but I doubt every joe buying an ACR can drive like winkler. Anyone else is going to have to bring enough skill to get at least in the 96-100% range of the cars potential to contend.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can tell of NASA's TT class it is similar to Viper Days Michelin Challenge isn't it, except it allows passing?
In my experience, its vaguely similar, but NASA is OPEN PASSING and Viper Days is passing zones in the straights only, with point by. Its a different world, believe me. In NASA, passing is almost always in the corners, usually by late breaking, when you have evenly matched cars...and you have to get it done in (at most) three laps before you catch up to traffic. In reality, VD is no comparison to NASA if you've got racing in your blood. Chuck, you should definately check NASA out. Then go get you an 08 and go after the trophy. Here is the TT website, in case you didn't find it.. NASA Time Trial - Home

I know there are guys that could compete in NASA TTU if they put their effort into it. I also think it would be very rewarding to beat THE OTHER GUYS!

(BTW, I am not advocating TEAMS to come and dominate NASA. Its amateur only. Lets not ruin a good thing. ;))

Bluestreak, the beauty of the ACR was aptly demonstrated in OLA. Its a competitive race car out of the box, and with a set of headers and exhaust, anybody can take one out and compete. It doesn't require a lot of development. Chris is an excellent driver, no doubt, he proved that. I would love to see him in an ACR and go against Popp for the NASA TTU trophy. If he won it in a bone stock ACR, even better. That would be some serious bragging rights for Dodge.

One more thing...that Vette has nothing on this car-
acr516b.jpg

Last edited:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer- trust me, I love the ACR. But I've driven against that vette on many occasions and it's no joke. It's got hundreds of hours in the wind tunnel, 620-650 WHEEL HP. And weighs under 3k lbs with the driver in it.

If you show up with a stock ACR you'll get *****. You're giving up something like 600 lbs with a driver in it and if there are no mods then you're also giving up 100-120 hp. That's in kill mode. He has to add a little weight and detune to make 5.5 in TTU, but the Viper would still be giving up several hundred lbs.

I plan on giving my Turbo another year before I move into an ACR so about summer next year I'd like to have my own so if we dont see and ACR against it before then, I sure I can give him a run. But not in stock form. That car is easily World Challenge fast in TTU mode.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, you should definately check NASA out. Then go get you an 08 and go after the trophy. Here is the TT website, in case you didn't find it.. NASA Time Trial - Home

Make no mistake, I've looked at it. But I also like to support Viper Days since they have done such a great job supporting the Viper community. Maybe we could get Courtney and gang to let the white group run under NASA style?

As for an ACR for me, we will see what next year brings.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
NASA can be lots of fun. It is very structured in many ways but also very race / competition oriented. I've run with them before and will be running with them again over Memorial Day weekend.

Out west, NASA has almost totally open passing at most tracks in HPDE 3 (equal to VD's white group). HPDE 4 is totally open passing (time trials run here) and the race groups are of course racing.

We do our best to support Viper Days, but they are only on the west coast a couple of times a year. We can run NASA locally at least once a month.

I would like to see Viper Days open up the passing a bit in the blue and white groups too. In order to improve your driving skills :drive:, you need to get more practice passing, among other things.

Dan

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree from the standpoint of Viper owners being able to do both. In the southeast, if you're willing to travel a bit, you can do 2 events a month between florida region and southeast region and the tracks include:

Homestead
Sebring
Road Atlanta
Roebling
Barber
CMP
Rockingham
High Rock (coming)
Starke FL (coming)

All in spread out nicely for your choice of events. I'm almost far north for the region (Atlanta) and can also add the VIR from the Mid Atlantic group. The only track that's double digit hours from me is Homestead, and just barely, so there are plenty of options close to everyone.

Time Trials and NASA racing is the most balanced and least complicated classing that I've seen by far. The best thing about it is that once you get ino Viper territory, it's weight/power ratio, and that's it other than a penalty to your ratio for running non DOT slicks. And the southeast/florida has the best group of TT'ers in the country IMO. They should move nationals to Road Atlanta because it's more centrally located than Mid Ohio, though I have to get to Mid O at some point if they keep it there.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally.....You guys have found NASA. I've been racing NASA & trying to promote this series for the last 5 years....Glad your on board. Come on out....

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car is easily World Challenge fast in TTU mode.

Ah, I just put up a stock pic because I like the looks of that black ACR, but of course, anyone serious about winning TTU will have at least a tune, headers & exhaust (675HP), lighter rotors and wheels, slicks. I imagine you could also lose some weight, and I don't see that Vette as 600 lbs lighter, it has what looks to be factory glass. Also, I don't think he has more time in the wind tunnel than the ACR in development. I think the ACR showed itself to the competition in the OLA. I HOPE we see one or two in NASA.
BTW-I never said that Vette was a joke. I just think it can be beat by a Viper in the right hands. If you're the man who does it, then I will be cheering! :headbang:

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it has 500-600 lbs over a stock ACR so you're correct the ACR has room to work. I'm just getting my car to the 3300 lb range. I dont know how they did it but I'm cool with everyone at the shop and the car is 2800-2900 with Reese in it. At the very least it's sub 3k with him in it.

But when it comes to TTU, the power to weight is equalized so in that case they'd have to be equal if both cars were running maximum spec for the class. But I think the car is more than capable of competing with an ACR. There was none of the one lap competition for the ACR that can hold a candle to that car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local NASA tracks in our MidWest Region:
Mid-Ohio
Putnam Park
Gratten
Gingerman
Road America
MidAmerica
Autobahn
Gateway

Within 12 hours:
Watkins Glen
VIR

Bluestreak, I am still skeptical about the weight on that car with factory glass. Maybe with the glass out, ya. But if you know the guys who built it, I will have to take your word for it. It must be a complete CF body kit. I would pull the factory glass out of my ACR, along with everything else that wasn't necessary.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran in a TTU event last year with NASA. It aint racing per se, but very close in that passing is allowed anywhere. Its fun. White group should be like that in the Challenge series. NASA has got the right formula - power to weight. Simple. No 600 page rulebook. Dont get me wrong they have rules for important stuff like safety etc... just not stuff like whether you can reverse-engineer a standalone computer inside the plastic confines of the stock ecu box...

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boxer- I dont know everything that's on the car, but there is easily 250 lbs that can come out without gutting the car. In fact I would think that more Viper owners would be executing a diet program for their cars since it's.

Fiske Wheels - ~30 lbs
Full Floating Rotors - ~30 lbs
A6 Tires - ~25 lbs
Custom CF Hood - ~ 25 lbs
Full exhaust - ~30 lbs
Racing Seats - ~60 lbs
No radio - ~15 lbs
Carpet trimming - ~20 lbs
AC? -~ 30 lbs

Almost 250 just off the top of my head. Now my weights are based on C5 differences becasue I had one, so they may vary a little and since most of his stuff is custom it could be much more than my estimates. And you still have the floormats and miscellaneous junk from the car. There are always trick ways to remove weight and keep a reasonably stockish appearance. I've taken 300 lbs off of my Porsche with similar techniques.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on giving my Turbo another year before I move into an ACR

Woah. Aren't you the same guy that always spouts off about how the Viper needs TC? It's bad enough you come here without a Viper and spew the TC crap, now you THINK you want a Viper even though it doesn't have TC? Please don't buy a Viper. Vettes, Porsches, Ferrari, BMW all great cars. You'll be much much more happy in one of those.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mid Atlantic & South East Events.

Hyper Fest in June @ Summit Point is next event.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woah. Aren't you the same guy that always spouts off about how the Viper needs TC? It's bad enough you come here without a Viper and spew the TC crap, now you THINK you want a Viper even though it doesn't have TC? Please don't buy a Viper. Vettes, Porsches, Ferrari, BMW all great cars. You'll be much much more happy in one of those.

I see you still havent gotten the point yet. I do think the Viper needs traction control, but for the last time, NOT FOR ME.

Since you cant seem to understand the concept, THIS IS WHY!!!!! (only a couple of examples)

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/611469-wrecked-vipers.html?highlight=wreck

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...27-2-viper-fatalities-ma.html?highlight=wreck

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...-dealer-wreck-other-site.html?highlight=wreck

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...13172-wreck-mississsippi.html?highlight=wreck

Not that you'll understand anyways, but appearantly everyone isnt graced with your unfathomalbe driving skill (sarcasm off) and not very many people with only a Drivers Ed in high school and a good job should be driving one, even on the street.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you still havent gotten the point yet. I do think the Viper needs traction control, but for the last time, NOT FOR ME.

Since you cant seem to understand the concept, THIS IS WHY!!!!! (only a couple of examples)

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/611469-wrecked-vipers.html?highlight=wreck

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...27-2-viper-fatalities-ma.html?highlight=wreck

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...-dealer-wreck-other-site.html?highlight=wreck

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...13172-wreck-mississsippi.html?highlight=wreck

Not that you'll understand anyways, but appearantly everyone isnt graced with your unfathomalbe driving skill (sarcasm off) and not very many people with only a Drivers Ed in high school and a good job should be driving one, even on the street.

Ok I get it now. People like you and me don't need TC but you think it will save all those wrecked sports cars.

...well not all of them
Exotic Cars, Wrecked Exotic Car Crashes, Car Crash Pictures - WreckedExotics.com

Gee, look at all those wrecked TC equiped cars. Interesting.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, comparing wrecks of ALL OTHER CARS over the US and the REST OF THE WORLD vs what we can see on almost a weekly basis right here. I guess probability and statistics wasnt your best subject.