08 with different gears?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3.33s are out there too (the ideal gear IMO).

I agree. 3:33's seem to be the perfect gear for this car.

I definately wouldnt do a 3:73, dont know of anyone using that gear on a Gen3/4

Reaction score
We have done all three and the 3.33 is becoming the most asked for. I'm not a drag racer so I like the 3.55. We did a N/A 04' car with 600 hp and 3.73 gear WOW was that a "fun" car but not for everybody.

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did 3.55's on my '06 and I really like them. Much improved on the street. Especially in slow situations through town and parking lots, but also on the highway where I can actually use 6th gear without doing 75mph. Now I can click it in 6th at about 60 and have plenty of power to cruise.

I've only been to the drags twice, but instead of going through the traps in 3rd gear, now I shift into 4th at ~100mph. That is shortly after half-track being as I'm doing 95-96mph in the 1/8 mile. (new best of 124.65mph through the traps!:headbang:)

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had 3.33s on my 06 and wished I would have gone with 3.55s afterwards.
Flash

Have you driven the 3.55s? I had 3.45s (no longer available) on an '05 and switched them out for the 3.33s. I was glad I made the change.

Because the Viper has a side exhaust you hear the rpms more than most cars. There's something of a connection between the rpms getting louder (higher), and the car moving forward. With the higher ratio gears, the car seems to make more more noise than it should for any given amount of forward movement, as it climbs through the rpms. We've all heard those rice Hondas blowing out your ears as they reach 10mph from a stop light. ...I prefer to hear those higher rpms fading off in the distance behind me as I blast ahead.

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed to 3:73's in my 04. Aewsome difference. Fourth gear is like second. Fifth and sixth are now useable. Be careful, with 3:73 the rear end will come around very quick. That car is now deceased. I have a 06 GTS and hate the stock gears.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.55 in my 06 and liked it. I put 3.33 in my 08 with quaiffe and love it. Unitrax is also supposed to be coming out with 3.27 gear.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you driven the 3.55s? I had 3.45s (no longer available) on an '05 and switched them out for the 3.33s. I was glad I made the change.

Because the Viper has a side exhaust you hear the rpms more than most cars. There's something of a connection between the rpms getting louder (higher), and the car moving forward. With the higher ratio gears, the car seems to make more more noise than it should for any given amount of forward movement, as it climbs through the rpms. We've all heard those rice Hondas blowing out your ears as they reach 10mph from a stop light. ...I prefer to hear those higher rpms fading off in the distance behind me as I blast ahead.

Guess you know the difference you experienced...but I'd have bet one would be hard pressed to notice the difference between a 3.33 and 3.45 during normal street driving.

vincy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you buy the gears? I'm interested in 3.55 non-Quaife. When I search the web the gear sets are mostly for earlier gen Vipers. Don't flame me, I tried to search before asking. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken