'09 Coupe vs. '01 GTS

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Output and performance aside, what are some of the differences between the '09s rolling off the assembly line and the Gen IIs?

This could be in terms of driving experience, quality of build, ease of maintenance, unique aspects. You name it. I had had my eye on the '01 GTSs for a while, but am assessing the opportunity to get a new coupe.

I'd be curious to hear any direct accounts from owners of these models, too.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had all 4 generations.The Gen 3-4s are just plain better, more complete cars .They ride better are more refined with a better build quality however they dont have the gawk factor of the previous models.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BADGTS said it all, the only place the GenII competes is in the look,IMHO in this category it doesnt compete but dominates.Since the AC Cobra or 63-67 corvette coupes there is nothing as striking as a GTS coupe!!!!!!!!!!The 08 is a Tour De Force of supercar performance but it isnt even close in the wow factor when you look at it
Im not biased or anything:lmao::lmao:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1BADGTS said it all, the only place the GenII competes is in the look,IMHO in this category it doesnt compete but dominates.Since the AC Cobra or 63-67 corvette coupes there is nothing as striking as a GTS coupe!!!!!!!!!!The 08 is a Tour De Force of supercar performance but it isnt even close in the wow factor when you look at it
Im not biased or anything:lmao::lmao:
SO TRUE as i have a 08 Ven Red roadster and i might as well be driving a Chevelle in comparision to my 96 Gen 2 Coupe.Performance wise though its not fair to compare the GEN 4 to previous generations as its JUST THAT much better.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had both a Gen 1 (Bumble Bee) and now almost 2 years with the Gen III......Commemorative Edition......LOTS of WOW factor with the new car.....EVERYWHERE I go.......thumbs up, can I have a ride??? Show me the engine (S/C'd!).......just can't go anywhere without being asked a LOT of questions......just the same as the Gen 1 also S/c'd, etc. etc.......soooo....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Output and performance aside, what are some of the differences between the '09s rolling off the assembly line and the Gen IIs?

This could be in terms of driving experience, quality of build, ease of maintenance, unique aspects. You name it. I had had my eye on the '01 GTSs for a while, but am assessing the opportunity to get a new coupe.

I'd be curious to hear any direct accounts from owners of these models, too.

You have over 1000 posts here!

Are you a BIG Guy? GTS has more hip and elbow room and better visibility for a 6'3" 230 guy.... Ease of maint goes to GTS....hood clearance, etc. Quality of build? Same plant, many of same Craftspersons, same parts suppliers in some cases = similiar quality. (exception: early 03 were a bit iffy) One big diff is 8 years of depreciation and wear-tear, but you knew that too....

PERFORMANCE ASIDE as you stated?! Aside??? You have 1000 posts...you must have read 1000 threads, You already know !!! If PERFORMANCE TRULY DOES NOT MATTER................

Last edited:

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both an SRT10 coupe and a GTS and I don't understand how so many members say things like "everything is so much better in the newer Viper"; it isn't true. The interior quality is better in the new Viper mostly because of the improved dashboard and steering wheel. Outward visibility is better in the GTS. The pedals are spaced better in the GTS than in the SRT. Build quality is excellent in both. Low end power is better in the GTS but the newer Vipers take over in mid to top power. Power should not matter since even a modified n/a GTS will give an '08 all it can handle. Brakes are stronger in the SRT. I would say that the SRT corners a bit flatter but a modified GTS handles great as well, especially an ACR with its stiffer suspension. The GTS has far less interior heat issues than the '06 SRT. I put '08 Viper tires on my GTS and it steers and handles superbly.

For the money, I would suggest you get a GTS. I like the appearance of the SRT just fine but sometimes the GTS just looks so stunning and exotic. The front windshield is far more curved as are so many of its lines and it is without a doubt one of the most beloved sports car designs ever.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. They are both great, just different but don't believe for a second that the GTS is vastly inferior to the SRT.

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty interesting topic as my old Generation 2 had a fully built nat asperated engine with some of the best BEST possible parts you could buy (Crower Rods ,Manley Rods,Mopar Street Strip Heads Perfect Power DFI ect)on engine alone on stock tires the car best ever trapped 132 mph and did well in competition winning a few Mopar -Viper Atlantic National (5 )events back in the 90s -2000s.My new 08 bone stock in fair power making weather traps at around 130 MPH .The difference between the two is the streetability and evolution of technology. With the Gen 2 to make that kind of power i needed a LARGE Cam (Crower Stage 2 )that hurt vacume, low end driveability ect.The car could never pass NJ State emissions (cam ,no cats )and of coarse had no warranty.(In 12 years plus of owning the car i had 2 major rebuilds due to mech failure )Entire costs of the above (mods plus rebuilds) way over 50 grand .When i sold the car i did not get one dollar more than i would have if the car was bone stock.The 08 on the other hand is probably slightly faster bone stock (as i have never run the car in cold weather )a ton more streetable,emissions legal and if anything bad happens has a full factory warranty .With a few bolt on mods (headers ,exhaust and soon to be computer reflash )i am told they are good for over 725 hp.Both cars make about 550 to the tire the difference being my 96 did it STRETCHED to the max of its envolupe while the 08 does it without breathing hard.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love my Gen 2 and it runs about 750rwhp or the equivalent of 900hp. No comparison to a Gen 4, I have ACR equialent brakes, lighter weight wheels (VR1s), Bluetooth stereo with better speakers, Sat radio, TPMS, PS2s, much prettier engine comp. The rear exit Gen 2s have the best sounding exhaust which cannot be reproduced with other Gens. My car is exactly how I want it. I like it much better than a Gen 4. In the end the cost was probably the same, but this car is exactly what I want. It is also the only one of it's kind since it's my personal dream car come true.

Ted

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II, besides the interior upgrades, the car looks great, and with a little boost adds more then enough power.

markbrown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the money, I would suggest you get a GTS. I like the appearance of the SRT just fine but sometimes the GTS just looks so stunning and exotic. The front windshield is far more curved as is so many of its lines and it is without a doubt one of the most beloved sports car designs ever.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. They are both great, just different but don't believe for a second that the GTS is vastly inferior to the SRT.

wow what a great post - i always liked the gts body and there are some really well kept like new cars for sale. i was wanting a new car but after reading your post i may try and pick up a gts acr or vert.

mb

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS ex National Pres Joe Houss has my old GTS for the hell of it this week iam going to go over to Joes and drive both cars back to back just to compare and contrast.

OP
OP
T

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious. You've been posting here for over 6 1/2 years in every catagory available. Why haven't you bought?

When I first signed on over here, I had a new C5 and was in that crowd. Then finances changed and I went with a pair of fully built F-bodies, instead. In the middle, I tried for two years to start my own business and had my funds ******* in that. I didn't lose out on the venture, but it didn't go anywhere either. Now I'm back to the corporate world, seem to have the whole "life" thing figured out with my girlfriend and am in a position where I can start thinking about a new toy.

I've been a long-time member over here. Just always been a fan of the Gen IIs and used to have some friends with Gen I / IIs. I'm only now digging into the Gen IVs and trying to learn more because of the AARP deal, depending on what those numbers end up being. Gathering info so I can make an informed decision.

To my eye, the top two Vipers I have seen roll off the assembly line were the Sapphire GTS's and the Venom Red SRT10s. The GTS is probably where my emotional connection still resides, but I don't want to ignore the new snakes out-of-hand when, as it was mentioned, they come with 600hp performance and a factory warranty that can be extended. I'm aware of the performance differences (would SC and 01 if I had it) but am more interested in the ownership experience between them both.

The best test is probably to get some time in each one and go from there. For all intents and purposes, the '09s are the same in terms of interior as the '05s right? If so, I'll just see if I can reach my buddy Lou.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To my eye, the top two Vipers I have seen roll off the assembly line were the Sapphire GTS's and the Venom Red SRT10s. ...... I don't want to ignore the new snakes out-of-hand when, as it was mentioned, they come with 600hp performance and a factory warranty that can be extended. I'm aware of the performance differences ....... For all intents and purposes, the '09s are the same in terms of interior as the '05s right? [ /quote]

The APPERANCE of the interior is the same....... but the radio and bezel options are different, and the 09 seat is DIFFICULT to lower, if at all.....

PS: If you buy an 08 VENOM RED (Below Invoice in OR) or any 09, lemme tell ya about a VCA Incentive Program in place..... your VCA buddy needs to have you go to the dealer with a referral note in hand............ REALLY! He can read about in MEMBERS section

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happen to be in a good position for this call since I have both a stock 2000 GTS and a 2006 SRT10. I love both of the cars but if I had neither and had to buy one, I would probably buy a GTS. Lets not forget that a GTS can be turbocharged and an '08 Viper cannot. There is something very special about the GTS styling. An SRT has great styling in my opinion but you get the jest of it in short order. In contrast, the GTS provides you visual nirvana in an endless fashion. It's beauty is of great depth and has a very interesting aspect to it. A GTS is like the female that has it all. When you get tired of looking at her a$$, look at her neck, her legs, her overall physique......my, how her bare stomach makes a man yearn. Turn her around and start all over again because you will never get tired of her. As an example of lesser cars, a corvette is a common ***** with a big set of boobs and this can get boring fast, especially when her cellulite boasts on the beach, her oversized, bulbous buttocks give you thoughts of restroom stench and her foul attitude makes you wonder if you would be better off single.

Both Vipers are very special cars but before you decide on the SRT, be aware that there are some things about the GTS that are better and vice versa. One is not simply better than the other as some members have falsely stated.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow what a great post - i always liked the gts body and there are some really well kept like new cars for sale. i was wanting a new car but after reading your post i may try and pick up a gts acr or vert.

mb
Thank you Mark. There happens to be a stunning bumblebee ACR GTS on ebay. I would buy it if I had the cash and extra garage space.

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both an SRT10 coupe and a GTS and I don't understand how so many members say things like "everything is so much better in the newer Viper"; it isn't true. The interior quality is better in the new Viper mostly because of the improved dashboard and steering wheel. Outward visibility is better in the GTS. The pedals are spaced better in the GTS than in the SRT. Build quality is excellent in both. Low end power is better in the GTS but the newer Vipers take over in mid to top power. Power should not matter since even a modified n/a GTS will give an '08 all it can handle. Brakes are stronger in the SRT. I would say that the SRT corners a bit flatter but a modified GTS handles great as well, especially an ACR with its stiffer suspension. The GTS has far less interior heat issues than the '06 SRT. I put '08 Viper tires on my GTS and it steers and handles superbly.

For the money, I would suggest you get a GTS. I like the appearance of the SRT just fine but sometimes the GTS just looks so stunning and exotic. The front windshield is far more curved as are so many of its lines and it is without a doubt one of the most beloved sports car designs ever.

Spoken from a man who has both types....
I know I often get the head nod and thumbs up from SRT drivers and that's enough for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte