1 man hard top management - possible?

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have put on and taken off my hardtop by myself once, and it wasn't pretty. Luckily I had our entire linen closet on the car and floor to ensure that an untimely mishap didn't ruin my day.

Any successful 1 man methods you can share? Do I just need to get good at it through practice? Or do you suggest I limit the hard top to a 2 person adventure (except in sunshine emergencies - in Michigan you must make the most of them).

My engineer neighbor is frantically proposing a complex pulley system that looks more like a yo-yo trick than a long term solution. Not sure I'm up for it.

Thanks for your input.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
I never have a problem taking it off, and I'm a small guy. Skinny little runt to be honest.

I unhook it, and then lift it up a little from the inside so it now sits on the hooks. Then I get out, and stand on a side sill, grab a hold of the top in the middle, and lift/tilt the whole thing back towards me.

Takes me about 5 minutes tops to remove it.

To reinstall, I carry it over with it over my head, and kneel in the passenger side seat and carefully lay it down at an angle on the bar & windshield. Then I get in all the way, reach up underneath to lift/spin it into place. Get out, push it down, and then lock it in. About 8 minutes or so.

(btw, my wife thinks its funny to watch me sometimes.)

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I set one heavy towel over the window and one over the roll bar,then you can set the top on and work in the locks,one side at a time without scratching the roll bar.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A mishap could be very bad, I'd say if you can't get pretty comfortable then maybe stick with an extra set of hands.

Personally I'm a big guy, 6'3'', long arms (my friends call me knuckledragger), so I can put the top on & off in just a couple minutes with little difficulty and no worries. I do put a towel over the back bar in case I miss align the back hooks so I don't risk a scratch, but that's it.

Dave.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I did mine myself while my wife was recovering from shoulder surgery.
I did pretty much what has been said, but here is another little trick. To keep the bolts that screw into the sport bar (Gen 1), out of the way, I pull them all the way back and take a piece of heater hose (or similar - about 5/8" dia), and cut to the length between the bolt head and the back of the top (about 2"). I split (cut) the hose along its length (2"), and wedge it in between the bolt head and the top, surrounding the bolt. The inner diameter of the hose is about the same as the bolt diameter. I do this when removing the top also and just leave the hose 'installed'.
It is, however, MUCH easier with my wife helping.
Later,

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only 5'-10"
and put it on by basically placing it on my head and kneeling on the driverseat. watching both rear pins go in with no scratching the sportcap.
and the front pin of course are lined up because the back are.

no biggy.. sort of funny looking i am sure
clown.gif

but it works with no towels no scratches and i take it on and off all the time...

off same procedure in reverse.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a man (Ray Atkeisson) in the KC club that had a ceiling mounted gizmo that allowed lowering and raising of the top. Do a search on his name and it comes right up.

OP
OP
S

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. I tried it again last night by myself and it's getting better to manage.

I'll still consider the pulleys, anything to make life a bit easier...
bounce.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog