1 Viper vs. 500+ Vettes

Gheijos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weekend there was a national gathering of 500+ Vettes in the western suburbs of Chicago and their cruise drove right past my house. So I did what I had to do and pulled the Viper out. Instead of following the crowd, I drove in the opposite direction and the sight of Corvettes was never ending. It was a well-organized event and the group was pretty cool. I was surprised to get waves and thumbs up from a few people. At one point, a Vette heading the opposite way, turned into my lane blocking the way...but it was all in good fun. Nice showing of cars...they had the '53/'54 leading the pack with a C6 mixed in.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a good fun time. I would like to run into that many Vipers at one time.

-lou

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep....500 to 1 is about the right percentage of Vette's made vs. number of Viper's made.

It amazes me of all the sports car enthusiasts the Vette owners seem to be the least friendly to Viper owners. Ferrari's. Porsche’s, BMW's..almost all other sports car owners will wave but Vette owners just don't seem to be able to see us. Wonder if they are too old and don’t have any peripheral vision anymore?

B

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gosh, I can only imagine the number of gold chains, sudden tan lotion and nail files in that group.

Why would someone block you if you were going the opposite direction?

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because by blocking him and forcing him to stop, they can all have a chance to look at his Viper. Otherwise, Vettes have a hard time getting close enough to ever get a good look! Except from the rear! :) :) :)

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was surprised to see Corvette drivers wave at me in the Viper on several occasions. It's funny because I never thought of waving at a Viper driver when I'm driving the Z06. Not because I'm a [******] but because I thought the wave was pretty much a "Vette-to-Vette" sorta thing.

I get along with most Corvette owners but I just can't relate to them. Most are much older than me so, besides the car itself, we rarely have anything else in common. Their kids are my peers so it's sometimes tough to carry non-Corvette related conversations. The real die-hard Corvette loyalists make me laugh. They think their C5 is "it." That's usually when I make it a point to exaggerate and complain about my Z06 and say what a pos it is. Throws them for a loop.

If you're even remotely a sports car enthusiast, you have to admit that watching a parade of several hundred Corvettes is pretty cool. I think it's cool when we have 15 Z06s racing at a track rental never mind 500 cars from across 5 or 6 Corvette generations.

But a single Viper will draw almost as much attention as 500 Corvettes :headbang:

Paul

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember the day I drove my current Viper home from the dealer, the Vette club was having a gathering in my town and I was driving in the opposite direction they were. Lots of friendly waves as well.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gosh, ya know, I get so lonely when I take the car out and don't get any waves. How do you even pay attention to something like that? If you want to wave at people and have people wave back join a friggin parade. Who cares if Corvette owners or anyone else for that matter wave at you.

Rant Over. BTW. I mean this in good fun not to be a ****.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good fun time. I would like to run into that many Vipers at one time.

-lou

That would be pretty tough, we recently had about 20 back in March at a car show and when they all drove in the attention quickly changed to the Snakes ;)

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just had a Corvette function this past weekend. There were 34 Vettes, mostly C 5's and 3 Z06's. We cruised about 600 miles all over eastern Washington on some winding nearly empty roads. I know for a fact that our Viper Club would have made much better use of those roads. We didn't see a single Viper the whole time. We did get a lot of waves, honks and high signs because of the number of cars - about what I get when I am out by myself in one of the Vipers. These Vette people are very nice and kid me a lot about my Vipers - but they have a lot of respect for them. Most have never been in one and seem to believe everything the rags write about them, especially the bad stuff. And yes, most of the Vette owners are older.

Bob K

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
{SNIP} Not because I'm a [******] but because I thought the wave was pretty much a "Vette-to-Vette" sorta thing.{SNIP}

I think waving to other fast cars is like riders wave to each other, we both know the feeling of driving a fast care or riding, it is the thrill experience. I ride a harley and on cruises in the California back country I wave to other bikers and they wave back. We both know and enjoy the thrill of riding.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
picflight is correct, true enthusiast appreciate nice vehicles and the owners have similar interest in their cars making them comrades in the sea of dull drivers. Posers on the other hand have no clue as to why the rest of us appreciate our cars and don't want to acknowledge anything other than their own egos.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
picflight is correct, true enthusiast appreciate nice vehicles and the owners have similar interest in their cars making them comrades in the sea of dull drivers. Posers on the other hand have no clue as to why the rest of us appreciate our cars and don't want to acknowledge anything other than their own egos.

Well said.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ride a harley and on cruises in the California back country I wave to other bikers and they wave back. We both know and enjoy the thrill of riding.

I usually don't get a wave from Harley riders when I'm on the Ninja! I guess there must be two totally different ideas about 'the thrill of riding'. It's silly.

I waved at a Silver SRT-10 when I was in my '02 GTS and he ignored me like I had the plague. Now that's amazing!

RT10Paul

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Agreed. However, when you wave and don't receive a wave back, you start to change your tune. I'm not sure if it's the area that I live in (being only 40 miles outside NYC and in the midst of snob central - Rumson) or what but pretty often I'd throw a wave and get a blank stare in return. Corvette owners are probably the most consistent "wave returners." I rarely see a Viper on the road. I don't ever remember a Prosche driver throwing a wave my way. My neighbor is the only Ferrari owner who ever acknowledged me on the road and that's because he knows me.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was visiting in rural Kansas a while back and it seems that all the drivers wave at each other there. Actually it is kinda nice. Trouble is, if you don't wave back you stand a high risk of getting pulled over for a random check because they know you aren't a local!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte