13 or 14 trade in values

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, we all needed to hear that, thank you. Never in my 33 years as a dealer did I encounter a program as fair or as expensive as this one. Dropping the price $15k across the Viper line, then offering $15k to a present owner to remove his depreciation hit, unheard of. Providing it in the form of a discount on a new company product? Shucks, that's only good business, Fiat Chrysler would not get my respect if they paid an owner to buy a competitive product.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer just offered me a '14 black GTS with silver stripes, Laguna interior, car cover and Venom-Hyper wheels for $90k flat. Car has less than 10 miles on it and has been on the showroom since delivery by Reliable. Revised MSRP after recent $15k drop by Dodge is $126k. I have no coupon to get the $90k price since my last viper was a new '08. I had a black with silver stripes '06 coupe that was very well liked by friends and family so may have to take the plunge here. I was leaning towards a used '13 SRT from a dealer but that was $82k so this seems like a no brainer on the new '14 GTS.

Sounds like a nice deal for sure. Awesome color combo.

108 Vipers sold last month! One of the biggest months in about a decade!

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill, we all needed to hear that, thank you. Never in my 33 years as a dealer did I encounter a program as fair or as expensive as this one. Dropping the price $15k across the Viper line, then offering $15k to a present owner to remove his depreciation hit, unheard of. Providing it in the form of a discount on a new company product? Shucks, that's only good business, Fiat Chrysler would not get my respect if they paid an owner to buy a competitive product.

Completely agree, but you can't please everyone, and whiners are gonna whine till the cows come home.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. This level of drop off in car values for a new car within 12 months is unprecedented.
It appears that regardless of origin MSRP, be it 145K or 118K the trade in value is about 70K. If a dealer will take it.
Unprecedented and the result of a glut of new and now use cars sitting on the lots.
IMO I don't see how this gets turned around you can't manufacture demand.

The lesson here is: The options on top of the base car are worth $0 in resale. Period. Option the Base SRT out carefully, because you won't get any ROI for them if you plan to hold on to it for a short period of time. A stripper SRT is the best value, because it will lose the least.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the bells & whistles of the GTS though but I hear ya. It's like putting in a pimped out swimming pool in your backyard. You spend for your enjoyment and don't get that money back when u sell the house. Life is so short u should just get what u want. I can't remember the last time I bought a stripped down anything.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone needs to find that video of NY Giants coach Tom Coughlin from a few years back, were he flew off the handle with the "Play Offs" comments and put in "RESALE Value" what "RESALE Value"

​Sorry....it was Jim Mora with the Saints....

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Checking to see who is a Football fan. Gotta love the Aint's.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is one Offer for trade from autotrader

Welcome back!
Your Instant Trade-In Offer is: $70,000
for your 2013 Dodge Viper 2dr Coupe GTS 8.4L
Review offer details

Yah no depreciation here. wait oops, only P of Msrp.

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we need a $50k coupon to cover depreciation, 15k doesnt cut it.

Hate to see what the insurance companies are going to do with a totaled 2013-14.

OP
OP
L

lawdogg149

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If this TA 2.0 is just a total dominating beast then I will never purchase another Chrysler dodge Srt whatever we call this group again. I don't care what dealers come on here saying how good this is. Yea good for them to take a car in at $70,000 that they sold to a sucker for $100,000. I don't want to get into dodge should of done this and should of done that. I just want people to see what we as pre price decrease customers are going thru. As one whom usually purchases 4 to 5 cars a year never have I been burned so bad. Cars depreciate sure but never have I seen a car lose $55,000 in three months. That has to be a record. Maybe Yahoo will make a story of that.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. Tough to be a seller right now. Buyers market. In time it will stabilize. I test drive every new performance car out there because I'm a car nut. I've owned most exotic brands. I even DD a Maserati. Test drove McLaren and the new lambo Huracan. And I can tell u that in my heart I feel this will be the last great raw performance machine made. Exotics are going soft with dailies sedans and suv's and even their performance models have flappy paddles and dual clutch transmission. It will take time. But values will stabilize and eventually rise Esp if the brand is discontinued. Folks that know the ten year journey that the Ford GT took can attest to what can happen in such a situation.

MurPowa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this TA 2.0 is just a total dominating beast then I will never purchase another Chrysler dodge Srt whatever we call this group again. I don't care what dealers come on here saying how good this is. Yea good for them to take a car in at $70,000 that they sold to a sucker for $100,000. I don't want to get into dodge should of done this and should of done that. I just want people to see what we as pre price decrease customers are going thru. As one whom usually purchases 4 to 5 cars a year never have I been burned so bad. Cars depreciate sure but never have I seen a car lose $55,000 in three months. That has to be a record. Maybe Yahoo will make a story of that.

Valid point here. It carries weight across the whole SRT line. They are making radical design changes (not saying its a bad thing) too close together which destroys the resale of the last model year value. So without doubt, people with patience are going to be tempted to hold on to the money in their pocket and pick up a lightly used or left over vehicle at a heavy discount when the next redesign occurs only a year away.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I gotta say is, Gen IV owners are smoking some serious crack with the prices they are trying to get for their cars considering what you can get a new or slightly used Gen V for now...

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I gotta say is, Gen IV owners are smoking some serious crack with the prices they are trying to get for their cars considering what you can get a new or slightly used Gen V for now...

not true. maybe the late IV's to a degree (model 09-10 coupes and verts). But GenIV ACRs with single digit mileage in GOOD COLORS, se,voodoo,vvo,ssg,white/red driver st and quality Gen2 GTS/ACR's with original paint, single digit mileage, (with factory stripes and in strong colors, b/w,fe,graphite,sapphite,bumblebee). Will not be effected by the Gen5 fiasco. Simple supply demand..

There are MAYBE 3-4 GOOD genIV ACR's for sale in the entire country right now, and about the same number of QUAILITY Gen2's.. Not talking about paint blended 35k mile 20 footer cars.

There ARE people who prefer a GenIV ACR OVER a Gen5, the same way there are people that prefer a 67 Corvette to a latest and greatest Z06. Hence why the 67 is worth 2-3 times as much as a new one

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers will only appreciate when people quit selling the damn things and hold on to the ones they have. It's the jagoffs that trade them in to dealers for a song and a dance that ruin the value.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:2tu: You are 101% correct sir. No more SRT/Dodge whatever for me. I love what I have but like the song says "Once Bitten Twice Shy"

..musical interlude..

http://youtu.be/Bz61YQWZuYU

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
trade up??? the 2015 Viper will be no different than a 2103. Color options, to me, are not a trade up. I need to see power increases to even think about trading my '13. or some esthetic changes. At least my voucher is good until jan '18 hopefully by then something worth trading up will be available.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY deal to trade my Ferrari for a 2014 GTS + cash has been terminated. The dealership failed to come through on time with the payoff for my Ferrari and the balance of payment to me. I had shippers and everything lined up and they just did not come through???
I have to say after reading this thread and similar threads Iam not bummed..My Scuderia has not reached a bottom but its value will not drop 50-70K in a year:(. (Unless I drive it off a cliff) I know we are talking about 2 different cars but Holy Baby Jesus how the heck does a dealer discount ANY car with a 141K sticker to 85K?????
I understand everything loses value but I dont want to go into something(Viper) thats going to lose that much as soon as it rolls off the lot!

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY deal to trade my Ferrari for a 2014 GTS + cash has been terminated. The dealership failed to come through on time with the payoff for my Ferrari and the balance of payment to me. I had shippers and everything lined up and they just did not come through???
I have to say after reading this thread and similar threads Iam not bummed..My Scuderia has not reached a bottom but its value will not drop 50-70K in a year:(. (Unless I drive it off a cliff) I know we are talking about 2 different cars but Holy Baby Jesus how the heck does a dealer discount ANY car with a 141K sticker to 85K?????
I understand everything loses value but I dont want to go into something(Viper) thats going to lose that much as soon as it rolls off the lot!
If you are the buyer at $85k or less then you shouldn't have to worry much. Just don't pay anywhere near MSRP is the lesson.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scuderia is ****. Buddy just sold his yellow one for 130k. Dash looks dated though. Reminds me of the eight bit graphics on my original Nintendo set. Gen V interior was inspired and guided by Maserati. Very modern and comfy. No better time to buy than now. Values will stabilize in years to come.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The dealer will simply write the car off as a loss. If they are making $5m in profit a year, they can eat $40k to pay less to uncle sam.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trade a Ferrari for a Dodge ?????? Vipers are cool ,but a Ferrari(430S) is at a complete different level.....The luck was on your side this time....

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several guys have gone from ferrari to viper. I went from Lamborghini to viper. It's a mistake to get hung up on a name or brand.

underwl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipersmith,

I am looking to purchase my first viper. What would be a fair offer on a 2013 GTS blacked out completely with about 6k miles? I am looking to become part of the family!! All help is greatly appreciated,

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipersmith,I am looking to purchase my first viper. What would be a fair offer on a 2013 GTS blacked out completely with about 6k miles? I am looking to become part of the family!! All help is greatly appreciated,
It's going to very a bit with the options. (I'd look at the window sticker) Also color is going to make a difference and black is not a sought after color. I would say 77k-87k depending on options would be a good price from the dealer.

pitdad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'black is not a sought after color"

Bullwinkle....