1550 miles in 2 days in new Coupe

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who have been reading this forum, my previous post of "Prices for Coupes", I just took delivery on my First Edition Coupe last week. I drove 650 mile to Pahrump NV to open track my car yesterday (Saturday) with my friend and his new "06 ZO6. We drove out together and went to Spring Mountain for a Las Vegas Chapter Porsche Club/SCCA open track weekend. I just got back in an hour ago after a 12 hour drive. Let me begin with this- you can drive this coupe everyday. We drove over 1550 miles in two days- through the storm hitting the west coast right now, light snow flurries Friday afternoon, and stop and go traffic in the middle of the desert for 2 hours, as well as over two hours of track time. The cars ran flawless- both of them. We traded off cars and have respect for each others cars. We also found out the following:

1) These cars are dead even in acceleration up to 165 mph- where we stopped running. From 40 mph rolls to 145, and 80 mph rolls up to 165 out in the desert. They were dead even from a standing start to 90 mph. We are very even drivers- both holding licenses from SCCA, etc. We have raced spec Panoz's and are always dead even. So the driver stuff is not there.

2) Around Spring Mountain Raceway, the Viper was FASTER. I could out brake and corner the ZO6, and straight line we were once again dead even. Both cars are stock- mine literely came off the showroom floor and driven 600 mile to my home in Las Vegas. If he started a session ahead of me, even 3 cars ahead, I could catch and pass him within two laps- we were running the new long course. When I started ahead, I would pull away from him putting 3 or 4 cars between us. This happened every session out.

3) ZO6 handles terrible in the rain- the Goodyears hydroplane in heavy rains, and the Viper did not. Very stable on I-5 in heavy rains at 75-85 mph. My friend had to slow down to under 50 in the same conditions because the car would dart all over the lane at higher speeds. So much for it being the better daily driver.

4) Gawk factor- very few people noticed his car- its black and does not stand out. We had literally dozens of people snapping photos of the Coupe. I have a Lamborghini Murcielago, and that is typical. But I did not expect that in a Viper. In fact, a group of young ladies ignored my friends Corvette, and proceded to pull up next to us as we crossed into CA on the freeway,and showed us their wares- if you know what I mean.

This car is far superior to my 2001 ACR. This car is much more refined. My ACR was a toy. Not practical. A loud droning from the exhaust at 65 mph. Terrible AC system. Horrible ride- even worse brakes. This new car is faster, more stable, has fantastic brakes- same ones I have on my Comp Coupe, and can be driven everyday. Plus, it has a new car warranty. I just drove it for 12 hours and it feels like I got out of my Mercedes! It's that good.

My point? Don't believe everything your reading out there. The ZO6 is not superior. Cheaper, yes. But my friend paid $10k over window sticker, I got mine for $8k under. When you add it up, I paid $3k more- which was the gas tax on it. Dodge has made a big mistake not marketing this car right. I am not sure what ZO6 the car magazines have been testing, but its not the one the consumer is buying. The word "ringer" comes to mind. So don't be afraid of one if it comes up. It will come down to the driver. And on the track, out of the box, it is a faster car. I will post some pictures of us on the track and driving through the desert as soon as I can figure out how. Its been a long day and my bed is calling.
Brian

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice write up, thanks for posting. :2tu: i agree the gen III is a much
more refined car plus the new coupe is awesome looking. congrats on your new car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting read Brian. So much for the Z06 superiority all over the Viper. This is real world testing by two experienced skilled drivers that's what counts in my book, not some amateur road and track drivers with agendas.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Brian great read. I have a neighber who FINALLY had his ZO6 come in. It's yellow. Actually for his wife. I looked at it.Looks much better then the pass Corvetts but still does nothing to give the OH SHT factor. I def have to say that for some reason car magazines always thrash the Viper. They give all the glory to pass and future Vetts.Take some vids when you kick his assssss

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome write up. A Coupe is so tempting.

Is it true that a Viper Coupe is more cramped than a Viper conv?

Josh M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a good review. You guys should trade cars for a few rounds at the track and daily drive them for a few days and compare.

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, It actually feels like there is more space. The hatch is open to the front, where the vert was not. Also the roof is taller. Takes away the claustrophobic feeling.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome write up. A Coupe is so tempting.

Is it true that a Viper Coupe is more cramped than a Viper conv?
Not really,Fadi-headroom may be an issue for some of the taller guys.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian,great write-up,and a terrific real-world comparison of the two cars with equally skilled drivers!Confirms what a lot of us have suspected-the two are pretty even,stock-for-stock,with some advantage to the Viper in braking and cornering.The tires on the Vette are definitely prone to hydroplaning if there is any standing water on the road surface-I've had the same experience with mine,and will be switching to different tires for the street.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car is far superior to my 2001 ACR. This car is much more refined. My ACR was a toy. Not practical. A loud droning from the exhaust at 65 mph. Terrible AC system. Horrible ride- even worse brakes. This new car is faster, more stable, has fantastic brakes- same ones I have on my Comp Coupe, and can be driven everyday. Plus, it has a new car warranty. I just drove it for 12 hours and it feels like I got out of my Mercedes! It's that good.

All true and makes me want to get the srtc even more. My gts needs a garage mate. :needpics:

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally someone is confirming what I have experienced and felt with my 2005 SRT 10 all along. I have raced A ZO6 and beat him easily. I also could drive this car everyday with no problems except one-- leaving it alone and keeping people away from it. I had a choice between the ZO6 and my Viper. Drove both, and chose the Viper and would do it all over again, even though I also own a vette and won't part with it either. In the Viper, we have the best car, and I can also put my top down, ZO6 can't do that either. I am finally glad to see that experience and knowledge are winning out over the Whiners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT write up.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems the girls over on the 'other' forum just don't want to accept the reality of what typically occurs when these two face off on the street. :D

crying girls

OP
OP
C

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a link to the photographer who was at the track this weekend for those who care to look. On another note, my friend in the ZO6 is at home...his back is out from sitting in the car from the 12 hour ride home yesterday. I just spoke to him and he is in bed with an ice pack on his back! My other friend who rode back in my car, as well as myself, feel fine. In fact, I drove my coupe to work today. It truly can be driven everyday.
http://www.extremestreet.com/trackday/Events/2006-03-04/Black%20110/image1.html
http://www.extremestreet.com/trackday/Events/2006-03-04/Black%20110/image8.html
http://www.extremestreet.com/trackday/Events/2006-03-04/Blue%20111/image6.html
http://www.extremestreet.com/trackday/Events/2006-03-04/Blue%20111/image11.html

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems the girls over on the 'other' forum just don't want to accept the reality of what typically occurs when these two face off on the street. :D

LOL I thought you were talking about the whiners at another forum.

Sounds like the cars are pretty close with the Z06 getting a slight edge at the dragstrip and the Viper having a slight edge on the track.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like how the vette guys like to take the gen1/2 argument that you need to be a better driver to handle a z06 more effectively. While this is true for a gen1/2, it is not the same for z06... A car that is hard to learn how to drive well is NOT the same as a car that just doesn't drive well. :D

All that soft, flexing aluminum makes handling pretty unpredictable, I would assume. A bit exaggerating on my part, but it's a good reason for the next Viper to NOT adopt an aluminum frame, unless there is absolutely NO degradation in frame integrity and handling.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great comparison, Brian. Not particularly surprising, either. Most of the magazines, while always giving the Z06 the "bang for the buck" award, and being in love with all the electronic nannies that help them drive faster, also concede that driving the Corvette at the edge is a hairraising experience and driving the Viper at the edge was far more predictable. I suspect that is why you'll see owners going faster in the Vipers - even though bench racing and dyno racing might say otherwise - but if you FEEL more comfortable pushing hte car, you will wring more out of it. Some magazines also acknowledged the Viper's track superiority outright - but lauded the Z06's daily driver ability, etc. giving them the overall "win".

SRT's focus has always been on reliable and safe horsepower (i.e. the engine in our cars is quite understressed), as well as building a car that is truly at home on a road course - Ask Dan Knott - who showed up at Viper Days last year in a new coupe to show us - but also - to feel the car for himself.

And that is why the Viper is the better car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

crying girls

That is just so funny. All the bow ties over there who have absolutely no experience in, on or near a Viper are just so positive that what this thread says is impossible. Mainly becaue "Road and Track" says it's so. Just dismiss real world experience. And they say we are delusional...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21