19 Inch HRE 540's (pics)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
19 Inch HRE 540\'s (pics)

Several people have asked me to post a pic of my new wheels. I just took these real quick and didn't bother with a great background (but you get the idea). Maybe the Extreme Bikini Team can help me out there! Don't make me beg, Michael Pierce!!

These are 19" wheels on Pirelli P-zeros. I have the Roe Racing suspension installed and lowered about 1".

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 19 Inch HRE 540\'s (pics)

Looks pretty cool. How is the ride quality with the wheel/tire/suspension combination? What are the shocks set at? Are your brakes part of Sean's package?

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Fischer:
Looks pretty cool. How is the ride quality with the wheel/tire/suspension combination? What are the shocks set at? Are your brakes part of Sean's package?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ride quality is very nice! I don't have much time on the new wheels/tires, but I can tell you that the suspension is excellent. I was warned that lowering the car might give a harsher ride, but I found the opposite to be true with Sean's setup. This is measured by how much less my CD player skips on rough roads. I also noticed that the steering is not as "twitchy" as with the stock suspension. The suspension was installed by Jason Heffner.

The brakes are stock rears and Wilwood 6-piston calipers on the front. I can recommend the Wilwood's too.

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WOW! That looks GREAT!! What did you do with the stock wheels/tires?

-Rick

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rick,

I plan to keep the old wheels and tires for track events and occasional 4-wheel excursions.
laugh.gif

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks guys! The pictures don't even do it justice. They are incredible LIVE! If the car didn't get a lot of attention before, it certainly does now.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They look great! I know HRE is a popular brand, I wonder how this style holds up at the track.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The HRE's are phenomenal and are an extremely high quality rim. The arena could be heating up soon, as rumors are that Forgeline
( another super high quality rim ) is coming out with a 19 inch also. Most of the folks we have talked to have echoed the same story, that ride quality did not suffer ---- at least with the Michelins. I have heard some folks went with Pirellis, but the Pilot Sports definitely have a decent ride.

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Pirellis seem to be softer than the Michelins. Another observation is that the Michelins seem to have a little more "rounded" sidewall.

As far as the quality goes, I did have one problem with the fronts--they were both leaking through the seals where the multi-piece rim is bolted together. For the price I paid, I'm a little surprised that HRE doesn't have better quality checks to prevent this. I've heard of others with the same problem. Also, it took 6 weeks to get the rims from the time they were ordered. I'm still very happy with the results.

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sam,

I definitely like the Wilwood calipers and the rotors. I would like to put the same setup on the rears. Too bad the rotor hats discolored from red to a nearly pink color in less than a year. Any suggestions to keep them red?

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

If it makes ya feel better, it doesn't look too pink. Kinda cool looking in my opinion.

btw, those big rims look awesome.

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, -runnr.

You're right, the color isn't that bad, but the problem is that I want to upgrade the rear stock setup and then I would have two different colors of red. The new guys at Dilusi (Sam Sloan) seem to be pretty willing to help and get a setup that works.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congratulations, your rims look awesome. I'm also fond of the HRE 545's. Does anyone know if Fikse makes Viper rims?

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Saw some of you guys talking about brakes. Wilwood is on the lower end of the quality spectrum. Have you seen the Stop Tech brakes?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ken,

"...Wilwood is on the lower end of the quality spectrum"

On what do you base this comment/opinion?

I have been running Wilwood hats,calipers and rotors (as a matter of fact the same one,rotor, than on this Viper) on my race Mustang that have way more power (650hp) since 7 years and I never had a problem.

By that,I mean I can stop,brake deep and go fast.

So,why do you mean by "quality"

Luc.00GTS.

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

There are two primary reasons why people call Wilwoods low quality:

1) Alot of shade tree, tight budget, redneck guys have tried to put Wilwood calipers that belong on a go cart on a heavy car.

2) Wilwood sells soooooooooo many calipers that most race teams throw them away after three rebuilds.

The people that call Wilwoods low quality simply don't know! Take a look at some of the most popular race teams that are up front and you'll see what they're running. Wilwoods!!!

Regards,
Tittle

P.S. I've tried to get some of the other guys to do comparison testing with my lowly scumball Wilwoods but nobody would bite. I've got a red Z06 just twitchin to do some stoppin. Hmmm?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sam,David,

I agree 100% with you.
Wilwood have so many calipers,rotors and hats,( they even make a caliper for Harley)that you need to choose the CORRECT set-up for your application.

Also as you well know,if you race,brakes parts are maintenance items like an oil filter.

It is true that when you can buy a 6 pistons calipers For less than $300,peoples that don't know too much about brakes are going to think that there is no way that they can be as good than a "fashionable/pricy" brand like Brembo.

" Drive smooth,Brake hard,Go fast"

Luc.00GTS

dtittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

I personally have put 10s of Ks of miles on my brake systems that used Wilwood components and couldn't be happier. On one occasion I replaced a caliper that had around 12K track miles on it rather than rebuild it. $100 worth of rebuild parts and 2hrs (max) worth of time to rebuild wasn't worth the $400 to replace the part. I rebuilt the old caliper and kept it for a backup.

If you paid $2,500 for a comparable Brembo caliper you would be bending over backwards to keep the part.

FWIW, some people have refected that the Wilwood calipers "Flex" alot compared to others. Well, with the help of Russ from Archer Racing I did a test and found that to be completely BS. We did a rather redneck test where we set a dial indicator on a jackastand and positioned it against the outside bladder of an Alcon 6 Piston caliper and then on my Wilwood GNIII caliper. Both of the calipers showed a flex of &lt;.013 overall movement. Hmmm. Keep in mind that this test was done on a car that could easily move. In a real test both calipers would've show a expansion of approximately .006". Oh yeah, the Wilwood caliper has a least 1" longer pad. Hmmm....

Regards,
Tittle

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gee thanks, Sal! You're just saying that because of all that Zaino on the car, huh?
smile.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960