>>> 19 inch wheels slip and slide more than 17's ?? <<<

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>> 19 inch wheels slip and slide more than 17\'s ?? <<<

Guys,

Ever since I went to 19 inch purners and Mich Pilots for my Gen I (from 17 inch stockers and pilots) I noticed my car slides a lot easier under braking than it used to.

Any idea as to what is causing this? Is it the tires themselves, the fact that the car is now 1 inch taller, or something else?

Moundir went out with me in my car and he about freaked when I showed him how poorly the car braked (and I had Brembo brakes before and now I have Stop Techs.)

-Manny

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: >>> 19 inch wheels slip and slide more than 17\'s ?? <<<

Less sidewall will cause a more reactive tire "feel" during braking, accell, and turning, but will slightly decrease the "snap holding" ability of the tire, meaning quick actions arent absorbed and the adhesion threshhold can be exceeded easier because the sidewall cant act as a damper. However, it shouldnt be THAT noticeable... especially not with a Stoptech system! I would blame your tires... What are they, and what is the treadwear?

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: &gt;&gt;&gt; 19 inch wheels slip and slide more than 17\'s ?? &lt;&lt;&lt;

I agree with you. I also have 19's and thought it was just me. Dan mine are Pilots brand new 345/30's in the rear on the new Purner rims...

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could it have anything to do with 782 RWHP and 1050 RWTQ?

JD

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

what is the treadwear? it MAY be different than the 18" pilots...curious to know. 18" is 220.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 19" run-craps on the SRT are a joke. I can't even pull out of the driveway without wheelspin when the tires are cold. (yes, at idle) Never had an issue with the 18's on the GTS or RT-10. I'll let ya know when the Enzo replacements come in. They are non-run flat 345 35 19" Bridgestones.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The 19" run-craps on the SRT are a joke. I can't even pull out of the driveway without wheelspin when the tires are cold. (yes, at idle) Never had an issue with the 18's on the GTS or RT-10. I'll let ya know when the Enzo replacements come in. They are non-run flat 345 35 19" Bridgestones.
On my GTS the pilots are not runcraps. Dan I will post the tread wear today.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does the SRT-10 run the runflat 19" Mich pilots sports? In ROAD &amp; TRACK or some other magazine, didn't the SRT-10 blow away the competition in shortest braking distance along with other things?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does the SRT-10 run the runflat 19" Mich pilots sports? In ROAD &amp; TRACK or some other magazine, didn't the SRT-10 blow away the competition in shortest braking distance along with other things?

As for my 1050 RWTQ, it's not that. I'm talking about a 30 MPH easy roll and then braking the car -- it slides way easier than it should. Like I said, I had Moundir in the car with me to verifty it. I can't fit my 17 inch wheels over my stop techs, or I would replace them and see what happens for a test. Also, the tires are brand new and so are the 19 inch Purners.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

they were Pilot Sports -- brand new. Both on the 17's and on the 19's.